It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Two Threads Allowed or Not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I have spoken with some of you moderators over my time here and try to play by the rules. In the past I have made a post or have seen additional posts made withing or exacting in subject matter. As some of you know through our conversations, I have been told that two are allowed. Having one of my topics deleted that was in a different forum (non political) area leaves me to now question what the actual rule is.

For my sake and others please advise.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yes you can post the same article if it's in a different area of the forum.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Depends on what the topic is and if the mods notice

Traditionally, multiple threads are allowed if posted in different forums.

Here's a hint: it's not a hard and fast rule. Be like water

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Do members really keep their browser open to specific ATS forums? All I do is go to "Recent", and refresh the listing every so often, to see what's worth reading and commenting on.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LuXTeN

Yes you can post the same article if it's in a different area of the forum.

I have always found this rule to be great for generating traffic and horrible for telling the story of an ongoing event..
Other then the traffic part on many keys stories you end up with people duplicating updates or focus being spread..
In a perfect world the requirement would not be that they are in different forums but rather that they tell different aspects of a scenario.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yes, I have no less than 5 tabs up at any given time.

New
Recent
Live
and whatever i'm looking at.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If it is damaging to trump or favorable to progressive fascists then multiple threads are welcome.

If it puts Trump in a good light or sets the record straight then only one thread allowed.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
If it is damaging to trump or favorable to progressive fascists then multiple threads are welcome.

If it puts Trump in a good light or sets the record straight then only one thread allowed.

Question sufficiently answered.

Thread closed.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Yup, I saw it and think it was a sneaky thing to do just to do.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The thread/topic in Breaking Alternative News has to "fit" ....then yes...we allow one in BAN and one in another forum.

Maybe this will help clear things up:
Breaking Alternative News Guidelines
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I just want clarification for myself and others as this has been an ongoing thing. I don't wish to debate the staff nor do I wish to cast them in a negative light.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Why was it not moved to that forum, instead it was moved to the same?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Some 2nd threads are allowed in the Mud pit I believe.

------FORUM GUIDELINES------

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Both USC threads tonight were moved from their original origins to Civil Unrest subject area meaning one needed to be removed.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I don't see too much duplicating, most of it from what i've seen is purely coincidental.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I try to post by the rule of "The search function is crap, but I use it anyway. If the subject is already in any forum, there doesn't need to be another elsewhere" just to try to avoid thread redundancy. It's a long, wordy rule, but a good one

If it gets closed, it gets closed, not a big deal.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Technology advances quickly, are there any possible ways with all the advances to have a "Thread Merge" button for super mods?
Seems like it would be very advantages, so if duplication occurs it could be merged somehow, it would make searching easier and research faster plus all the info would be in one place. (granted, I'm not a coder, and I'm not sure if IP licenses would be required) It just seems like that would be a nice feature for some of the upper echelons to have, and would save face for some of the more "sensitive" members.
edit on 9-3-2017 by thedigirati because: punctuation

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It can be confusing.

Basically you can post about the same topic in Breaking Alternative News and in the forum relevant to the discussion. You can not post about the same topic in two Forums unless one is qualified to be in and posted in the BAN forum.

You can post the same topic inside the Political Mud Pit and once outside of it for those who choose to not be involved in mud slinging as many don't wish to be a part of that madness. The same member can not however post both threads.

There are also other considerations as one general subject can encompass more than one topic to discuss.

Spinoffs are not allowed as a way to get around that. Spinoffs are more or less when someone instead of posting what should be a reply in a topic instead uses that reply to start a new thread.

Topics that should be in the Mud Pit due to their nature and the content of the original post are removed, rather than moved to get people to post muddy threads where they belong. Political trollery and mud slinging are never allowed outside of the Pit. If you post a topic with a muddy opening post outside of the Pit, expect it to be removed if seen.

Some of this is subjective and requires moderation and a discussion among Staff before it's decided. For instance if a topic has not been discussed in an extended time period, another thread on it will be allowed as the two threads are not competing for attention.

As with all things, remember we who moderate are a small number of volunteers who can't possibly see everything or read everything. We rely on other members to help by alerting us to issues like duplicate threads. We have normal lives, normal jobs, families and all that comes with that.

I hope this helps.

edit on 3/9/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Revisiting this thread because what you posted here does not apply to what has been happening.

a reply to: Blaine91555

Basically you can post about the same topic in Breaking Alternative News and in the forum relevant to the discussion. You can not post about the same topic in two Forums unless one is qualified to be in and posted in the BAN forum. You can post the same topic inside the Political Mud Pit and once outside of it for those who choose to not be involved in mud slinging as many don't wish to be a part of that madness. The same member can not however post both threads.

Are you sure? Could you mods have a pow-wow and figure out which rules you are going to enforce and which ones are allowed. I'm not claiming adverse treatment here but what I've seen has not been applicable to the descriptions you two (so far) have provided.

new topics

top topics

join