It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happening Now: Anarchists, Antifa Protesters Shutdown Milo at UC Berkeley

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is going on right now. Looks like there's a rather large fire right out front of the building. It's being announced that Milo left the venue.

SFGate - UC Berkeley cancels Milo Yiannopoulos event amid violent protest

After a protest at UC Berkeley turned violent Wednesday night, campus officials announced that a scheduled speech by right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos was canceled.

The Breitbart News editor was set to deliver a speech inside a UC Berkeley campus building but hundreds of protesters began throwing fireworks and pulling down the barricades police set up to keep people from rushing into the building.

The Berkeley Police Department said people were throwing bricks, smoking objects, and fireworks at police officers. Protesters took down a light pole and the building where the event was to be held had windows broken.

“This is what tolerance looks like at UC Berkeley,” said Mike Wright, a Berkeley College Republican member said as smoke bombs went off around him. Someone threw red paint on him.

Protesters argued that hate speech isn’t free speech, countering the university’s explanation — free speech — on why it allowed the event to go on as scheduled.

Actually, "hate speech" is purely subjective and Milo's speech, as disdainful as anyone might find him to be, is fully protected free speech. These idiots aren't doing anyone any good at all. They make the majority of non-violent protesters look bad. They turn folks like Milo into martyrs for the right. I can't imagine anything more couterproductive.
edit on 2017-2-1 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+34 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

When are those of you who adhere to the Progressive doctrine going to shout out against this type of behavior? Grant you, you made this post, but don't you think it is a little too late?

This is just how volatile your party has become! Own it or speak out against it and make damn sure the MSM doesn't portray these anarchists as peaceful protestors!

It's on the you and your party! If you don't denounce and stop it, IT will be PUT DOWN!

EDIT: Is it just me or is it just a coincidence that former head of Homeland Security is the head of this college that this is happening?

edit on 1-2-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I can't imagine anything more couterproductive.

Thank you for recognizing this.

Sometimes you don't make any sense to me at all, others you are quite insightful and on point.

This is certainly the latter.
edit on 1-2-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: added quote

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Very similar to Washington to me..And thank you for using the words Anarchist Group in the title, because this appears to again be the same or same type of anarchist group causing the damage and violence again at UC Berkeley as it was in Washington during Inauguration. Same black clothing and hoods, same stuff they had with them, and I believe I saw a couple anarchist logos.
edit on 1-2-2017 by trb71 because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I agree with you this is insane. Let me also point out that to everyone who thinks you are an unreasonable anti conservative that you are calling out people censoring a conservative speaker which I applaud you for.

I understand that there are probably more peaceful protestors there than the violent ones, bt I bet you many of those peaceful people are celebrating the effects of this violence; that the Milo event was canceled.

The irony of course is that these protestors are proving Milos point in a way far better than just letting him speak could have.

I do have to be slightly partisan here and say it seems odd that we see this behavior, particularly on campuses, over and over again fro the very people that claim to be the champions of tolerance, who are on the left.

When do we see the supposed hateful right ever enacting violence to stop someone from speaking. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but with nowhere near the frequency that we see on the left.

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Spot on. This is a super win towards Milo and proving his point. This stuff drives the moderate leftists away in droves as the (old school perhaps?) leftists want to hear, understand, then intelligently give counterpoints.

When anyone simply shuts down a chat simply to stop someone speaking, they only make themselves and their whole movement look horrible.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
more of that tolerance and acceptance that the progressives are famous for.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I'm not at all responsible for these people. I am responsible for me. Are you responsible for the Quebec terrorist (that nobody is even talking about)? How about Richard Spencer and his Nazi-saluting friends?

Of course not. Just because they're on the right of the political spectrum doesn't mean you agree with them or approve of their actions.

Same s# applies here. I've said before on this very site, a number of times, that the rioting is completely wrong. I think if you ask most of the lefties on ATS (or that you know IRL), they'll agree. Look at the women's march in DC. Not a single arrest. Nothing set on fire. Nothing destroyed or otherwise vandalized.

Trust me, a lot of us aren't at all happy to see this.
edit on 2017-2-1 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Spot on. This is a super win towards Milo and proving his point. This stuff drives the moderate leftists away in droves as the (old school perhaps?) leftists want to hear, understand, then intelligently give counterpoints.

When anyone simply shuts down a chat simply to stop someone speaking, they only make themselves and their whole movement look horrible.

Maybe it's time you moderate leftists speak out against these extremists.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Brainwashed and blind, believing they are causing a revolution

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
These aren't real anarchists. Just more conformists. Don't even give them the satisfaction of being called anarchists, when free thinking is the last thing they're about.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Isn't that what this thread is doing?

link   

This is going on right now. Looks like there's a rather large fire right out front of the building. It's being announced that Milo left the venue.

SFGate - UC Berkeley cancels Milo Yiannopoulos event amid violent protest

After a protest at UC Berkeley turned violent Wednesday night, campus officials announced that a scheduled speech by right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos was canceled.

The Breitbart News editor was set to deliver a speech inside a UC Berkeley campus building but hundreds of protesters began throwing fireworks and pulling down the barricades police set up to keep people from rushing into the building.

The Berkeley Police Department said people were throwing bricks, smoking objects, and fireworks at police officers. Protesters took down a light pole and the building where the event was to be held had windows broken.

“This is what tolerance looks like at UC Berkeley,” said Mike Wright, a Berkeley College Republican member said as smoke bombs went off around him. Someone threw red paint on him.

Protesters argued that hate speech isn’t free speech, countering the university’s explanation — free speech — on why it allowed the event to go on as scheduled.

Actually, "hate speech" is purely subjective and Milo's speech, as disdainful as anyone might find him to be, is fully protected free speech. These idiots aren't doing anyone any good at all. They make the majority of non-violent protesters look bad. They turn folks like Milo into martyrs for the right. I can't imagine anything more couterproductive.

well posted
use the 1st
dont riot or use violence
milo is a jackass but he has the 1st too

link   

At last, something on which we can agree. Violence and destruction of property are not enticements to normal people. These people seem to be taking their instruction from the Weather Underground people. The only ones to benefit from such vandalism are the glass installers and construction firms the state will have to hire to repair the damages.

Perhaps it is time to put some restrictions on wearing masks during protest marches. Stop letting the vandals hide to avoid prosecution.

link   
Hate speech isn't free speech?

Violence isn't free speech or freedom of demonstration.
Hopefully these baboons lose all of their scholarships and get expelled. Oh, also fined!
edit on 1-2-2017 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

That's a valid point. A lot of them I think are just protest junkies. Foolish people in love with the idea of being a radical, the romantic notion of being a revolutionary. They love to get dressed up in black, cover their faces, destroy things and delude themselves into thinking they're accomplishing something.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

a reply to: seeker1963

I'm not at all responsible for these people. I am responsible for me. Are you responsible for the Quebec terrorist (that nobody is even talking about)? How about Richard Spencer and his Nazi-saluting friends?

Of course not. Just because they're on the right of the political spectrum doesn't mean you agree with them or approve of their actions.

Same s# applies here. I've said before on this very site, a number of times, that the rioting is completely wrong.

Did I say you were responsible?

No I didn't! But let me tell you something all of your political mud pit entries and the MSM who has done nothing more than promote this type of behavior?

Sorry, you guys who uphold the doctrine of the progressive left OWN this! For you Democrats who are embarrassed as to how far your party has swung towards fascism? I am not blaming you! I am just as concerned as the pendulum swinging too far to the right as you are!

CLEAN UP YOUR HOUSE!

This kind of behavior won't be tolerated much longer!

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Maybe it's time you moderate leftists speak out against these extremists.

As I have been for a couple years now. neo-progressives have pushed in a short time tremendous influence. Many..most of the moderates have woken up to some extent in some areas at least around 2013/14 time when the neoprogressive movement started attacking things like games, movies, music, etc..trying to shut down and shame things they deemed not approprate for a fringe left identity politics stuff. radfems, sjws, etc...these are manifestations of a growing sickness..and arguably can be linked back to certain universities and certain institutions brainwashing warriors with this nonsense.

I will end it there, but yes, I believe very much in the police your own mentality. I see better liberals in people like Sargon than I do in some blue haired moron demanding skintone = merit of words.

I disagree with Milo on many views...but I also agree with him on many views. purity is for cults..all ideas should be discussed and contemplated. The better result would be a dissolution of the left/right concepts and just have stances on views based on your own considerations.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
Hate speech isn't free speech?

Violence isn't free speech or freedom of demonstration.
Hopefully these baboons lose all of their scholarships and get expelled. Oh, also fined!

There will be almost no punishment.

The leftists that run these schools sort of tongue in cheek encourage this sort of behavior. They force conservative groups to pay for added security, and then when they get shut down, they give some speech that says they are appalled by violent protests, yet no one get expelled.

Or worse yet, conservative groups are told they can't have speakers because people will violently protest.

Imagine that a black activists was coming to campus, and the school administration demanded that black leader pay for more security, and then canceled the speaker because of the threat of violence. It would be a national outrage.

Yet over and over again this happens to conservatives.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Just say no to free speech! This is homophobic and anti Semitic, Milo is a gay Jew! Wow the left wing is loosing it fast

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join