It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists March on Washington scheduled for Earth Day

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'd march if I'd have a destination. Otherwise, it would be just a Parade.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

That is what these "marches" are.
Parades.
Play dress up and hope people look at them.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

yOU AREW INDEED CORECT SIR.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: gription

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Scientists continue to discredit their reputations.

Pushing childish evolutionary theories with no evidence and 92 different genders.

No one outside the liberal base will care about your parade.
edit on 1/2/17 by xstealth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
At this time I'm planning on participating in the one in Washington. I know of another one planned for Houston and one for Oklahoma City, Given the number of universities (including U-Texas) in Austin, it will not surprise me if there's one there as well.

...and the gods alone know where MIT will march.

news link
march away!!!
use the 1st to the fullest!!!!
make a cool thread like the womens march you did

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
What kind of hats will the "marchers" be wearing?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
a reply to: Byrd

Cool. What cause specifically will you be marching for?

The hallmark of ATS used to be that people would read the article and google for other links on the topic and then entering the discussion.

I will assume that you simply did not read the article and are not trying to pretend-troll me. So the original article is here and has the information.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that CNN spoke for you. I was asking which issue you are marching for. Ya know, because the article list only 2 issues and then says "other issues"

They're worried about the new administration's stance on climate change, energy policy and other issues.

I was hoping maybe you would provide some insight as to what you are worried about enough to make you take to the streets. I thought the hallmark of ATS was an OP with more that 2 sentences. But i guess if CNN speaks for you and a thousand other protesters I'll just take their word for it from now on.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
he was so nice , i had to reply...

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

At this time I'm planning on participating in the one in Washington. I know of another one planned for Houston and one for Oklahoma City, Given the number of universities (including U-Texas) in Austin, it will not surprise me if there's one there as well.

...and the gods alone know where MIT will march.

news link
march away!!!
use the 1st to the fullest!!!!
make a cool thread like the womens march you did

I have thought about it and at this point I'm leaning towards doing it on Tumblr. The platform is somewhat cranky, but I like the ease of uploading photo material to it... and the blogging process isn't TOO horrible. I don't really care for their insistence that I find people and follow them or their prodding me to read posts that others had made - there doesn't seem to be an "I'm doing this for my own purpose and am not interested in being social" option for Tumblr.

In the VERY short term there were some interesting outcomes (speaking as an anthropologist) from the Women's march. I expect the Science March to be different because of the difference in transportation (at this point there's no bus collective headed there, though this could change) which makes a difference in interaction and dynamics.

...although a busload of 50 scientists and science enthusiasts on a 50 hour trip would be both interesting and odd.

Anyway, it should be fascinating and I expect in some ways the dynamic will be similar to the Women's March. They haven't announced any sort of unity symbol (I suspect lab coats will be the item though in truth most of us never wear them.) Currently the Facebook community is only around 300,000 - or about half the size of the Women's March.

I'm looking forward to it, and having been on the Women's March, I now know how to negotiate the Metro system (a plus for a Texan); the only other bit to consider is a hotel room. Although rooms there in DC may be relatively cheap for Earth Day.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Cool. What cause specifically will you be marching for?

The hallmark of ATS used to be that people would read the article and google for other links on the topic and then entering the discussion.

I will assume that you simply did not read the article and are not trying to pretend-troll me. So the original article is here and has the information.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that CNN spoke for you. I was asking which issue you are marching for. Ya know, because the article list only 2 issues and then says "other issues"

I thought the article put it rather nicely. The two issues are two that I'm concerned about although my research and teaching doesn't really touch on either of them.

They're worried about the new administration's stance on climate change, energy policy and other issues.

I was hoping maybe you would provide some insight as to what you are worried about enough to make you take to the streets. I thought the hallmark of ATS was an OP with more that 2 sentences. But i guess if CNN speaks for you and a thousand other protesters I'll just take their word for it from now on.

In the announcement thread I did touch on some of my concerns but the whole thing seemed to be fuel for "evil scientists and stupid research" discourse. Indeed, when questions of the type you asked were put on the original thread, responses seemed only to provide points to sneer about.

So, to avoid the tiresome repetition of that, I'll just say that "the CNN article speaks for me" and leave it at that. It's true enough, anyway.
edit on 2-2-2017 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Every single reaction, every little response. You #ing hurt me.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Yet another riot from regressives posing as someone else (in this case scientists).

I wonder if they'll be theocrats and murderers speaking at this event like the woman's March?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: xstealth

Scientists continue to discredit their reputations.

Pushing childish evolutionary theories with no evidence and 92 different genders.

No one outside the liberal base will care about your parade.

This quote alone shows why the march is necessary

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

How about marching with millions for something really important like all the illegal wars the US has conducted in the name of peace and democracy while dragging other countries in to a coalition in order to appear to give said wars a more deeply concerned and perceived legitimacy?

....crickets...

How about you go march those yourself, since they obviously matter to you enough to chide someone else with?

Tell you what I'm not going to do, though. March with Byrd OR you. I'm not the marching type, us introverts dislike crowds immensely, sorry. But for those who are the march type, more power to them for physically getting off their ass and doing something to promote & defend what they find important. What's the best you've done anyway? Keyboard warrior the day away?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 2/2/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I can't get out but if I could, I would.

Hopefully, there will be some kind of "Internet March" too, so I can participate.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Nope, can't get behind a bunch of scientists marching to demand more tax dollars.

I'm of the belief that we put too many tax dollars toward scientific research--some of which is asinine for which to provide my income--and that screaming for more should make one reflect on the reality, maybe, that they should seek funding elsewhere.

I'm very pro-science, but judging from history, quite often the best scientific discoveries are made in spite of government resistance to the research and topic, not because the scientist is in bed with the government. Scientists should be intelligent enough to collect data on what happens when you rely on Big Daddy Government for funding, and they should be avoiding that.

But, have fun, and safe travels. No riots!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I don't see this march as accomplishing anything. It is not specific in that it has more than one objective and marching for "other things" is not marching for anything. Suppose Congress and the Administration pay attention to it. What is the expected outcome? Trump begging for forgiveness for even questioning anthropogenic climate change? Not happening. More funding for R&D? What R&D? Public self-flagellation by members of Congress? (I would attend if that were a guarantee.) Each administration determines what is important and what isn't. Scientists will shift their attentions to what the Trump Administration thinks is important or will be cleaning glassware until the next administration changes the direction.
The gag order ALWAYS happens during a transition while the new Administration decides on policy. The people that do that are in the Whitehouse and it doesn't matter what individual Departments want or think; they wait for policy statements.

I'll be in the lab. Let me know how it turns out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join