It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The demise of the Labour Party in the UK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

I dont think ukip will gain that much.
I think the traditional parties lose more seats in N Ireland, Wales, and Scotland to regional parties. Conservatives make gains in england.
Ukip's job is to push conservatives closer to their positions and its working.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

This is a misconception.

MPs are not there to represent the will of the people. They are there to make decisions on behalf of the people. This is not the same thing.

You vote for your politician based on their standing on policies and issues important to you as laid out in their manifesto. By doing this you grant them the power to make choices and decisions on your behalf. If you don't like the choices they make you can vote them out at the next election.

THAT is how a parliamentary democracy works.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

A Party who's " inner circle " are all London Centric has no place in British Politics.

Look at the MP's who have taken the top jobs in Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet. The " Islington Crowd " nearly all to a man.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I won't profess to be an expert on your labor party, but as I understand, it is similar to our US democratic party. At one time they stood for the working man, the "little guy". Now they've redefined the "little guy" to be a person who provides no viable contribution to society other than just existing.

They've moved off their base, much like our democratic party has. They no longer represent the working man, but pander to those who will elect them. They've lost their support from the working class.

Full disclosure; I actually have a fair amount of time working with my brothers from the UK (great bunch, all of them) in Asia. So, I'm not completely 'dumb' on the matter.

At one time in the distant past Labour had working class guys, ex union men at it's core. Guys who had broke sweat in the mines and in the shipyards, at the foundry etc. The working class who at that time were all encouraged to join the Unions up and down the country would make sure their guy was voted into politics, both at local and party level. Nowadays we have Eton, Oxford, Fettes private school educated men and women who are so far removed from the working classes they couldn't tell a ball pein hammer from a loaf of bread. And guess what...The Working classes let it happen.

We got ideas above our station.We thought because we now owned our own council house they we were somehow elevated to a higher class. The Working class label was now beneath us The only thing that has changed is, Instead of being a slave only to your Boss, you are now a slave to the Bankers as well.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

The UKIP situation is a strange one. While I disagree with them on a lot of issues, there is nothing inherently wrong with a party taking the policy positions they do ( which are a bit of a mixed bag of traditional left and right policies).

However you hit the nail on the head that so many of their candidates and senior figures come across like the pub bore you would avoid at all costs.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I did have a modicum of respect for Corbyn up until he appointed the vile and idiotic racist Dianne Abbot as his shadow Home Secretary. When it later emerged that he had slept with her my attitude toward him crossed the Rubicon into contempt and disgust.
edit on 2-2-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I did have a modicum of respect for Corbyn up until he appointed the vile and idiotic racist Dianne Abbot as his shadow Home Secretary. When it later emerged that he had slept with her my attitude toward him crossed the Rubicon into contempt and disgust.

My god, really? So that's why he did not sing the national anthem, Which I found disgusting, now two things that are disgusting, not that Diane is of a different colour, but that she slept with him.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

From my understanding of the DNC, Obama favoured identity politics whereas Clinton favoured technocracy. One of my reasons for voting Brexit is my dislike of technocratic governance. I also dislike identity politics (therapy). Politics should be about increasing wealth for its citizens and the betterment of living standards and opportunities. Empowerment and self-esteem should be left to the realm of self-help and therapists.

a reply to: LABTECH767

I am a classical liberal with a libertarian leaning in the last year. No major party truly represents my political views. Looking at the manifestos in the last election I was 30% Con, 35% Lab and 35% LibDem. In the last election I voted for David Davies. He made a stand on the erosion of civil liberties and was the main instigator of opposition to the Investigatory Powers Bill and the ECJ appeal. He distanced himself from it after becoming a minster in May's government which saddened me.

I agree we need a new major party. For me personally, I will be supporting the Libertarian Party of the UK from now on.

The Libertarian Party believes that the main issue that is not being addressed is that of the Constitution, It is no longer business as usual as the Scottish Referendum showed. The SNP has quadrupled its membership and could dictate public policy on the basis of holding the balance of power.

In the 800th year of Magna Carta we need to have a constitutional convention and accept that the United Kingdom is rapidly heading for a de facto Federal Kingdom. People are grown up, they want more of a say, referenda Swiss style should be the norm on both national and local issues not the exception. This includes membership of the European Union.

It is time we moved from a Representative Democracy to a Direct Democracy where our vote matters, first past the post is no longer just or sane. All schools of political thought should be heard.

Finally the ‘D’ word has to be addressed- our national debt of £1.4 Trillion has to be paid down, either through a specific Tax- the ‘Brown’ Tax or by a reduced State.

Switzerland and other countries in their Constitutions have a prohibition on the State borrowing above a certain limit. We need to enshrine this into our Constitution and have it codified.

LIBERTARIAN PARTY MANIFESTO 2015

a reply to: Painterz

You are trying to dismiss 1,269,500 voters as a statistic. I had no problem with MP's votes reflecting their constituents. What I was showing was hypocritical Labour values ie Corbyn's three line whip and Watson treating resignations as a slap on the wrist suggesting reinstatement.

Just because the Brexit vote won by a narrow margin does not mean the wishes and thoughts of the other half of the country should be completely ignored.

Sorry but in relation to leaving the EU it does. That is how referendums work, there is no proportional representation or consideration of 'feelings' for those on the losing side. 17,410,742 votes is the biggest political mandate in British history.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join