It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Salt...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Nice thread Blend !

I grind himalayan pink rock salt as it has over 86 minerals and trace elements,
supposrdly making it a healthier choice. ( although Doctors will state that there is no healthy salt )

It is millions or years old and comes in its natural form.

Here is my question ...

Why does it arrive at the supermarket with a use by date ?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Timely

Ha, must be a marketing trick to get you to chuck it and buy a new container.
How long I wonder do they say it's good for?
Salt, in my opinion, should be good forever.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Has anyone ever wondered why: Food guides tell us to reduce salt consumption in general; but when a person is injured, paramedics, and/or doctors, always seem to rapidly inject a saline-solution into injured persons?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Salt is not the devil is is made out to be, of that I am sure.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I'm not sure why it's wrong to make salt in a lab.

You react chlorine with sodium and you get salt. It is the same stuff you get out of ground. If anything, the impurities are found in the natural form and are what give them their colors and flavors.

I rented a place in Italy about 40 feet from the beach a few years ago and dragged up about 40 buckets of water and boiled it down to harvest my own sea salt. Used it on food and also in the bath and I tell you it was nothing like the table salt made in labs.

Maybe it was all the other minerals in there or possibly all the toxins from pollution clouding my judgement who knows.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely

Nice thread Blend !

I grind himalayan pink rock salt as it has over 86 minerals and trace elements,
supposrdly making it a healthier choice. ( although Doctors will state that there is no healthy salt )

It is millions or years old and comes in its natural form.

Here is my question ...

I use this as well.
I also have a "ritual" by no means is it anything but a belief in my own mind based on multiple pagan/ gypsy sources I suppose...but always when I move to a new house I surround the perimeter on the first full moon with a continuous line of salt. Thereby in my belief keeping anything that wants to do me harm..out. I will in that house, under every new full moon each season do the same. I adopted this method about 8 years ago from who knows where...I suppose story research about witchcraft. Whether it works or not is questionable, but it makes me feel better, and if the universe is controlled by thoughts and beliefs...well...
edit on 2-2-2017 by AccessDenied because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
AccessDenied

I read about something similar to that. As well as putting a glass of salt water on your night table to attract all the negative energy in the house. Apparently it is good for absorbing it as well as repelling it. I think it is also good to keep certain bugs out (putting salt around the perimeter) ..I believe I read that somewhere, maybe ants and spiders??? Anyhow, it does have some practical use as well as, so it's beneficial either way.

Nothin

I did read about the saline drip and how they use salt within the medical field. Also used in nasal and eye washes..etc..I'm sure there are other areas it's used in as well. The one link was related to a quick overview of how salt was used by the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians and others throughout history. That is as about as far as I dived into it, with a glance at the modern uses.

Timely

I can't answer that. I looked at the FDA laws and their is not a part which specifically answers your question. I am unsure if salt expires and why it needs an expiration date other than maybe it is considered (the way you purchase it) as a fresh food product..similar to milk and eggs and such. Here is the FDA guidlines, maybe you will have more success than I did in finding the answer..

JesusXst

Thanks for saying you like my avatar... I've changed it since..lol . But I appreciate it and I'm glad you liked the thread.

Flyingclaydisk

Salt has a ton of history. Really, I just touched a very tiny bit in this thread. For example, I never looked back to the neolithic period to see how they obtained their salt. As it is needed for survival, I'm sure they did somehow. This is just a small "taste" of information.

DBCowboy
Thank you DC.. and thanks for taking the time to read through it.. I appreciate it.

Skywatcher2011

I was unaware that salt had become so chemically polluted. You never really think about that when you go to the store to pick some up. I just always thought.. well.. just thought it was the natural thing/real deal. I guess I should be more careful of what I buy now..thank you for making me aware.

Thanks everyone for reading the thread. I appreciate the responses and thoughts ..

blend57

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Hey blend57!

I read this thread when you posted it, but was in lurker mode so didn't comment at the time.
This morning I remembered something that made me want to re-read it.

A few years ago now I was watching a post-apocalyptic show (I think it was called "Jericho")...and an important factor to the group's location was the fact that they had a salt mine. At the time I didn't understand why that mattered, although it was an integral part of the story.

I have also started using the Himalayan pink salt after reading about it online. My hubby works in construction and during the summer heat waves he is prone to really painful leg cramps at night. I mixed a teaspoon of pink salt in a glass of warm water and within 30 seconds literally, the pain was gone.

I thought your thread was really interesting so wanted to say thank you. It's amazing how many little nuggets of information I've received from members here. (Also nice to read a thread with no hate and arguing, lol!)
jacy

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Here is something for older adults to think about. Seems even a small salt deficiency can cause problems with older people.

www.sciencedaily.com...

I personally think that we are being set up by some corporations that benefit from us being sick and needing meds. A brainwashing technique that has been used for many centuries. You need to examine all aspects of whether something is good or bad for you. What good is lowering bloodpressure if it leeds to hyponatremia and visits to the ER where they stick saltwater in your veins to fix the problem.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Normal table salt has sodium chloride and baking agents.

Himilayan pink rock salt has 83 minerals and trace elements.
Doctors still say all salt is bad.

My pack of millions of years old Himalayan Pink Rock Salt ... has a "best before" date.

The world has gone mad. And we let it !

* says he exasperatedly. 🗿
edit on 11-2-2018 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Normal table salt has sodium chloride and baking agents.

Himilayan pink rock salt has 83 minerals and trace elements.
Doctors still say all salt is bad.

My pack of millions of years old Himalayan Pink Rock Salt ... has a "best before" date.

The world has gone mad. And we let it !

* says he exasperatedly. 🗿

I tried the Himalayan salt. It tasted good, I found though that the sea salt from the bulk bin at the coop tastes good too. The coop people are very fussy, and yes, they sell Himalayan salt and also other better salts. I have the problem of peeing out too much sodium and it works great except now, it seems like my level will go to low quickly, it is not stopping where it is supposed to stop. In the genetics they say this is a really good thing, but I feel it is a curse. People are awing and ooohing when I add salt to my food. The gene is one of the type NO haplotypes, this causes hyponatremia and is one of the factors that causes my tachychardia. It also causes constipation, many laxatives are sodium based or sugar based. If I boost my carbs and sugar, I am less constipated, but that is bad for controling my temporal lobe epilepsy.

I have experimented with many ways to control this, if I boost sugar, my kidneys actually retain a little more sodium. But that raises my seizure risk. I have to go back to square one to fix my body from experimenting, the genes that seem to be problematic according to the research I read actually help to control other much worse problems of the autoimmune class. I couldn't take the meds to control the epilepsy, and have a hard time eating an epilepsy diet but the diet is way better than the pills were.

Salt is very important to me, but I noticed I have to lower salt intake if I eat more sweets and breads. I found the reason by actually raising my BP too high, I could feel it being high, I have always been able to, it is important to be able to detect the high blood pressure when you have a normal heart rate of one ten to one twenty and it goes up to two ten when you do something. I have always tried to keep my BP below one seventy over a ninety five, my best BP was always one forty over eighty when I was in good shape. It goes up when I stand and down when I lay down.

The problem with the expensive salt is that it gets peed out just as fast as the sea salt, I have to have about a teaspoon of salt a day added to my food unless I eat a bunch of carbs. I also get all white when I sweat, my skin is all salty. That is another medical condition and it is hereditary too. It is not only my kidneys.

I thought that if I ate Himilayan salt I could eat less, that did not work out well, I can't even get off the couch if I don't have enough salt. My condition is rare, my father knew of this, so did his brothers, they ate saltfish and lots of smoked fish. They were strong and healthy. My best mineral rich food, blows everything away, is salt codfish from up north.nutritiondata.self.com... Check out the amino acids in this and all of the minerals are in a very bioactive form. I eat one little chunk, maybe a half an ounce, with a glass of water and I get lots of energy. My dad taught me to do this, my uncles also did this and we had scalloped potatoes with salt cod at least once a month. A lot of Italians use Baccala in their diet too. It is not just the taste for many people, dried and salted meats can be really good for some people.

Humans evolved by the oceans and moved inland long ago. The foods that grow in high salt areas contain more salt. The freshwater is soft and contains salt too. Seasalt is much more than sodium and chloride. Our blood has the electrolytes almost like seawater. Our kidneys and skin regulate things, some people have different amounts of kidney regulating enzymes than others. This is due to environmental factors like diet and also to hereditary factors. If your sodium gets too low, your BP can skyrocket and blood volume will drop. This can cause dizzy spells or spinny head, many people on diuretics get a risk of this. Most doctors do not have the expertise to properly evaluate this, lowering salt intake in a person with hypovolemia can actually raise blood pressure or cause an orthostatic hypotension event. No blood to the brain, "Help, I fell and I can't get up" from commercials

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

More proof that one size does not fit all !

More Dr's. Should be adopting more tailored treatments for their patients.

☺

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

More proof that one size does not fit all !

More Dr's. Should be adopting more tailored treatments for their patients.

☺

I actually know a few doctors who do that, they have some good results, but sometimes problems cannot be controlled by diet.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
2/3 c salt
1 c brown sugar
1/4 c black pepper
2 tsp sodium nitrate (prague powder)
5lb pork belly

Mix the above and coat the pork belly. Refrigerate and flip daily for 10 days, then smoke at 175 until its 140 internal

The best use of salt that there is

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Just happened to be peckish when I read that ... now I am starving hungry.

Thanks.

😎

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

We cure, smoke, and consume about 8 lbs a week in my house

It sweats out a lot of moisture. 5lbs ends up beimg 4.25 or so when its dome curing.
edit on 2/11/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Sounds good !

Do you make jerky as well ?

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Sometimes. Hams, corned beef, pastrami are what we like the most. But if i find some beef on sale ill stock up for jerky. London broil works real well. Shoulder roast is economical.

Ill smoke it heavy for awhile then finish it in the dehydrator. Using a kamado i dont have tons of rack space in my smoker.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Salivating with every reply ... !

Your preferred chips ?

😎

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Applewood for pork

Oak for everything else. We have a lot of live oaks here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join