It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmates take guards hostage at max-security Delaware prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

All Delaware prisons have been placed on lockdown after reports of an emergency situation at the James T. Vaughn Correctional Center in Smyrna. The state Department of Corrections said the incident involves inmates taking guards hostage.

Inmates take guards hostage at max-security Delaware prison

Inmates have taken guards hostage at a maximum-security prison in Delaware. We will have to see how this unfolds. It could be nothing, or it could evolve into a very complicated and serious situation. Apparently all prisons in Delaware have been placed on lockdown. Is that normal procedure, or an indication that the situation is rather dire?
edit on 2/1/2017 by trollz because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/1/2017 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

If you read your source it says "..... noting that a statewide lockdown was DOC policy."

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: kamatty

If you read your source it says "..... noting that a statewide lockdown was DOC policy."

I did, and it wasn't there when I created the thread.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Same prison where an inmate raped a counselor and held her hostage for several hours a few years ago, IIRC. Think he was shot and killed.

Interesting to see how this one plays out.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

They would lock down prison's in the area, then staff would move from those prison's to the one in question.
edit on 1-2-2017 by Underfire2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

In my state the Corrections Officers sign a statement that specifies that prison authorities will not negotiate with inmates for their release in a hostage situation. Generally all state facilities will go on lock down if there is an incident at another state prison, many times these incidents are planned and orchestrated by gangs in different facilities.

If inmates riot or take hostages the incident commander will assemble the necessary teams to take back the facility, inmates are then ordered to surrender and if they do not the "Special Teams" go in and take back the cellblock, very few fight when they see the teams. If inmates have weapons they are ordered to get on the floor, the rule is "if you're standing you're a target." ....you never want to be a target, especially if you have officers as hostages.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   

That is a deeply troubling happenstance.

Is there any word as to the disposition of the hostage takers, any clue as to how many appear to be involved in the hostage situation, in terms of inmates working together? Also, the "nutraloaf"....

Am I to understand that this is essentially some sort of medley of foods, smashed and mashed into a block and baked? Would this be the same sort of stuff which allegedly is only partially digestible, leading to bowel problems including diarrhea, and paradoxically constipation?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

That is a deeply troubling happenstance.

Is there any word as to the disposition of the hostage takers, any clue as to how many appear to be involved in the hostage situation, in terms of inmates working together? Also, the "nutraloaf"....

Am I to understand that this is essentially some sort of medley of foods, smashed and mashed into a block and baked? Would this be the same sort of stuff which allegedly is only partially digestible, leading to bowel problems including diarrhea, and paradoxically constipation?

Nutraloaf or "loaf" is a blending of foods selected by a dietician to fulfill the daily nutritional requirements mandated by the state. The blend is placed in a loaf pan and baked, it looks a lot like a loaf of banana bread. I have never heard of it causing bowel problems, if anything it is high in fiber.

The loaf was used as a punishment for inmates in solitary confinement situations who where generally disruptive and uncooperative. Personally, I have tasted the loaf and it isn't as bad as some of the regular food they serve. I believe that the use of loaf was discontinued in my state about three years ago in favor of a "sack lunch" instead of a hot meal.

edit on 2-2-2017 by WilliamtheResolute because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Apprently a hostage was killed.

Hope the immates get the chair.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Damn.

That is terrible. Of course, since all the inmates involved in the hostage situation are united in their commission of said offence, the murder, regardless of which of them carried it out, is on all of them. I do not know if all of them will ride the lightning for this act, but certainly all of them will be tried for the murder. What a bloody horrible occurrence.

I assume that a team will be sent in now, to rescue the hostages which remain and control the prison?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Because most Prison Security Guards, and law enforcement in general, are PRO Donald Trump, this story got very little media attention on Wednesday.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Really?

Fox, the right wing mouthpiece, did not cover it?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: carewemust

Really?

Fox, the right wing mouthpiece, did not cover it?

They certainly did.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

SO WHAT IS THE UPDATE ON THIS STORY?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: tony9802

www.foxnews.com...
www.foxnews.com...
www.foxnews.com...

Sgt. Steven Floyd, the guard held hostage by a mob of Delaware prison inmates, put his life on the line to save his fellow officers, shouting at them not to rescue him because his captors had set a trap, the head of the state corrections officers' union said Thursday.

Floyd, 47, was found dead early Thursday after police used a backhoe to smash through a barricade of foot lockers filled with water, ending a nearly 20-hour hostage standoff at the all-male, 2,500-prisoner James T. Vaughn Correctional Center. Crews rescued a second hostage, a female counselor, minutes after tactical teams forced their way into the prison's Building C.

new topics

top topics

join