It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belief in free will is equivalent to believing in Santa Claus

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AVoiceOfReason

Que the creation of your very own pocket universe i imagine.

edit on 6-2-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Que the creation of you very own pocket universe i imagine.

Or multi-universes.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

But based on terms and experience the user understands or attempts to comprehend.

Welcome to imagination land where the limits of perception are defined only by your own limitations, perceived or otherwise.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Exactly.

Same crap slightly different packaging.

Both most lightly fun to play with.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

But based on terms and experience the user understands or attempts to comprehend.

Welcome to imagination land where the limits of perception are defined only by your own limitations, perceived or otherwise.

Ah, limits of perception is always an interesting subject.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Yes she seems to be a cruel mistress, not very forgiving, not to mention rather contrary at the best of times.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Yes she seems to be a cruel mistress, not very forgiving, not to mention rather contrary at the best of times.

Or a cruel gigolo.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Probably somewhat transcends sexuality really.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Probably somewhat transcends sexuality really.

Nothing transcends sexuality - really.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Artificial intelligent might, least biologically speaking.

Also i imagine if we have a soul it's asexual by nature somewhat transcending the notion of sexuality.

Sexuality is more down to our biological makeup.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Artificial intelligent might, least biologically speaking.

Also i imagine if we have a soul it's asexual by nature somewhat transcending the notion of sexuality.

Sexuality is more down to our biological makeup.

How then do you explain people choosing pan sexuality? Is their imagination more expansive?
edit on 02CST06America/Chicago02060628 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Greed.
LoL

Personally i blame biology and pheromones.

Some people are just different by nature or gender-blind for that matter.

But hey it takes all sort to make the world spin.

Personally i try not to judge what i don't understand, sexually speaking.

Why would they require explanation other than any other sexual preference?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
You're asking for nothing but a lump of coal in your stocking this year, OP.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Farlander
You're asking for nothing but a lump of coal in your stocking this year, OP.

Yes, a lump of coal explains it all...lol (sarc)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Greed.
LoL

Personally i blame biology and pheromones.

Some people are just different by nature or gender-blind for that matter.

But hey it takes all sort to make the world spin.

Personally i try not to judge what i don't understand, sexually speaking.

Why would they require explanation other than any other sexual preference?

Is it greed or imagination?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   

well you are assuming that there is a separate entity in the first place.

When did I ever say that?

so is the purpose to be happy? because that wouldnt make sense. evolution being the purpose would make sense. but then killing yourself due to feelings of discontent would be going against the purpose of the brain and the consciousness it produces. and why would there be a purpose if there is no free will. determinism is the epitome or purposelessness.

Evolution means that we evolve to have the best experience possible. Why? Just so we can have a better experience. The brain has no purpose but to make sure you feel good. If there comes a time when your brain thinks that you'll be in less pain when you are dead, then it can want to kill itself.

The only purpose of evolution is to improve as a species. Having freedom to think of choices and act on which you think the best is, is just a part of evolution. Purposeful, or not.

that just brings up more questions. why would the brain do this? it makes no sense. again we go back to the idea of purpose. what need would an unconscious entity with no free will have for purpose? it would just survive. that would be the only purpose. anything that goes against survival would be going against its purpose.

Self-survival isn't the only purpose. You have animals which risk their own lives for their offspring. This is evolution, this is their purpose. To make sure the offspring survive, because instinct says their life is more important. This makes total sense in an evolutionary perspective.

so what is the function of the consciousness assuming its origin is the brain? even if it is illusory it defies logic to have consciousness in the first place.

I cannot assume such a thing because we don't know where consciousness originates from. The function of consciousness is simply to observe what is happening. And the more things you are aware of, the more things you can take into consideration to evolve further. Evolution is designed to enhance our senses and make us as aware as possible of our environment. But then again, the senses are not consciousness but a tool through which consciousness can experience life.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   

No its sexual preference, you don't imagine to be gay, straight, or bisexual, it's just how you are born. Nothing more than biology really.

Working under the premise that sexuality is defined by imagination means that all those horrible aggressive cognitive therapy reeducation, make you straight, camps would not be so morally ambiguous.

Which they are.
edit on 7-2-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

You do own your sub-conscience, whether you can control it or not. Being inside you, it belongs to you and you only. It doesn't me that it is another entity. You're mincing words again. A man-made experience would be something along the lines of war. Being involved in a war can change everything you believe in to change. If you think that war isn't man-made, then you are just being goofy.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Andy1144

"Evolution means that we evolve to have the best experience possible. Why? Just so we can have a better experience."

Evolution has nothing to do with us having the best experience. Evolution is survival of the fittest working alone the premise that the animals with superior genes will be stronger, more intelligent, or posses some other trait(genetic mutation) that allows them to breed more often/effectively or offers some other advantage than there weaker counterparts thus spread there seed/genetic profile more effectively.

Essentially its natural selection in action.

As of yet we cannot unequivocally prove where consciousness originates or resides but we are beginning to make remarkable progress both neurologically speaking and in the mapping the processes of our brain in action.
edit on 7-2-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ConstitutionalPatriot A man-made experience would be something along the lines of war. Being involved in a war can change everything you believe in to change. If you think that war isn't man-made, then you are just being goofy.

There is no freewill - hence no individual or man, made anything. It may appear that there are separate people doing stuff but there is no one 'in there' choosing anything - there is simply what is appearing to happen. As you have stated above 'war can make beliefs change' - no one did the changing of beliefs - but the event of war caused beliefs to change.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join