It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP leave Dems behind. Mnuchin and Price nominations advanced.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Krazysh0t

We did extend an olive branch. Your party used it to bash windows out in a riot.

Your turn.

TheRedneck

Really? I must have missed it while sorting through the constant labeling of being a snowflake, militant, libtard, dumb, illogical, violent, and all the other hate said about me and my political stance, not to mention the near incessant gloating about Trump winning, since the election ended. If you think you guys extended some sort of olive branch to the left, then you don't know what that entails.

Oh, you don't like being called names?

Huh.

Wonder why Trump is where he is. Maybe because people also didn't like being called racist, ignorant, homophobe, sexist, misogynist, Nazi, Bible-thumper, bitter clinger, xenophobe, et al.

Plenty of names to go around these days. And you are right ... no one likes being called names.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Not so fast. You guys, in my opinion, need to hold the DNC and others on the left to account. Get your # together and become a rational and meaningful opposition party.

And together, everyone needs to hold the MSM to account.

Time to put this country back together again.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Bingo.....and for other reasons too.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Really? I must have missed it...

I suppose thst's possible. I mean, I missed where I used those labels, so you can miss things too.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I didn't use those labels against you or anyone else. I didn't have time. I was too busy watching riots, protests, unsubstantiated rumors, historical revisions, and general tomfoolery from the MSM. You know, the kind of stuff that cost you the elections in the first place, just amplified.

And you still don't get it...

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

What olive branch was that?

The one where some (like me) tried to engage others in productive debate over issues.

That went over like a lead balloon, so I guess it'll be 4 years of Trump unchallenged and Democrat tears. Was worth a shot, I guess.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

You make it sound like that's what the GOP spent the last eight years doing. That's the furthest thing from the truth. You're just lucky Trump came out of nowhere. If it wasn't for that your candidate was probably going to be Jeb.

Any "revolution" that occurred on the Right is solely due to Trump.

The Left on the other hand actually taking their leaders to task. Phone lines are clogged with people telling their representatives what they think of Trump's policies. Hell, there's been a record number of people signing up to run for office.

The Left is actually taking action.

In contrast, the Right spent eight years cheering on their leaders for doing nothing and were prepared to elect more of the same until Cheeto Jesus came out of nowhere.

The simple fact remains. You guys hold every branch of the government now. So anything that happens is your fault.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Ok. Sounds like you got this. lol

See you at the midterms.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The Senate writes its own rules as to how things will be conducted while doing the Senate's business. If the party in control wishes to change the rules they may do so.

It was the Democrats that first invoked the nuclear option to pass Obamacare, while they didn't go nuclear for things like supreme court nomination, they none the less opened the door.

Now when the Republicans were obstructing during Obama's term, they were doing so within the confines of the existing Senate Rules.

Today by the Democrats refusing to show up for a second day, the Republican decided to change committee rules (which are written by each committee and change depending on which party is in power) decided they had enough of the Dems antics and changed the rules to push nominations thru. Dems brought this on themselves.

Now the Dems have to be careful on this Supreme Court Nomination, if they refuse to allow a vote, the Republicans will invoke the "Nuclear Options" which will change the rules form 60 votes to a mere 51, to bring a nomination to a final vote. This could have disastrous long term repercussions for the Democrats. 2 other Supreme Court Justices Kennedy (who would like to retire) and Ginsberg (who is not in the best of health) could need to be replaced. If this happens during Trumps term as President he would be able to replace them both and then the Supreme Court would be a 7-2 Split which would alter the courts leaning (to the right) for at least the next 30-40 years.

And if the nuclear option is invoked, expect the next 2 supreme court picks to be as right wing as you can get because you'll only need 51 votes which the Republicans will have.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JBRiddle

It was the Democrats that first invoked the nuclear option to pass Obamacare, while they didn't go nuclear for things like supreme court nomination, they none the less opened the door.

you were saying?

WASHINGTON — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., pushed through a controversial change to Senate rules Thursday that will make it easier to approve President Obama's nominees but threatens to further divide an already polarized Congress.
U.S. Senate goes 'nuclear,' changes filibuster rules

same article,

Fifty-two Senate Democrats and independents voted to weaken the power of the filibuster. The change reduces the threshold from 60 votes to 51 votes for Senate approval of executive and judicial nominees against unanimous GOP opposition. Three Democrats — Sens. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Carl Levin of Michigan — opposed the change.

edit on 1-2-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

ETA: i find this amusing, same article

"I think the minority will rue the day that they broke the rules to change the rules," said Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, who said she and a group of bipartisan senators tried unsuccessfully this week to head off Reid's decision with a compromise on nominations.

edit on 1-2-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Then I guess we're both in the minority. I have definitely seen more Left bashing threads and posts since Trump got elected than I ever saw Right bashing threads and posts when Obama was President. So don't act like only one side is being childish when it comes to cooperation.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Really? I must have missed it...

I suppose thst's possible. I mean, I missed where I used those labels, so you can miss things too.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I didn't use those labels against you or anyone else. I didn't have time. I was too busy watching riots, protests, unsubstantiated rumors, historical revisions, and general tomfoolery from the MSM. You know, the kind of stuff that cost you the elections in the first place, just amplified.

And you still don't get it...

TheRedneck

I'm pretty sure I wasn't talking about you directly either and was talking about the right in general.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

We did extend an olive branch. Your party used it to bash windows out in a riot.

Your turn.

TheRedneck

Really? I must have missed it while sorting through the constant labeling of being a snowflake, militant, libtard, dumb, illogical, violent, and all the other hate said about me and my political stance, not to mention the near incessant gloating about Trump winning, since the election ended. If you think you guys extended some sort of olive branch to the left, then you don't know what that entails.

Oh, you don't like being called names?

Huh.

Wonder why Trump is where he is. Maybe because people also didn't like being called racist, ignorant, homophobe, sexist, misogynist, Nazi, Bible-thumper, bitter clinger, xenophobe, et al.

Plenty of names to go around these days. And you are right ... no one likes being called names.

If you think the right's actions since the end of the election are comparable to the lefts during Obama's Presidency then there is nothing left for me to say. Your biases are preventing you from seeing the truth anyways.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Then I guess we're both in the minority. I have definitely seen more Left bashing threads and posts since Trump got elected than I ever saw Right bashing threads and posts when Obama was President. So don't act like only one side is being childish when it comes to cooperation.

I see those threads daily these days. Plus, I'm daily insulted for just diagreeing with people.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

That's what I said after the election. If the Republicans can't find a way to get the Dems on board with them we'll just see a replay of 2010 in 2018. And from there 2018 to at least 2020 will just be a replay of the last six years. Obviously with the roles reversed.

Trump is barely a week into his term and already he is seeing a significant reversal in his early approval gains. If he wants to change that trend he is going to have to start making some moves that both sides can get behind. And if the GOPs in Congress want to keep their seats they're also going to need to start passing some legislation that can appease the masses.

Now, it's highly possible the Republicans retain control of the House in 2018. There simply aren't that many Republican seats up for election. That said I see very few cases where the Right retains the Senate. And if that happens it's certainly going to throw a wrench in Trump's future plans.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Exactly. We now have multiple threads a day that serve no other purpose than to explicitly attack and insult the Left. I'm hard pressed to think of even one of those attacking the Right during Obama's terms. And that's part of the reason why I thought the Mud Pit should have been shuttered after the election. It's one thing to have such a place when emotions are running high and people need to vent. Now though it has just become a very hateful place and unfortunately it seems to be the most popular forum on this site. I personally think it flies in the face of everything ATS stands for but Springer told me I'm wrong so...

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Oh they definitely happened during Obama's years. There is no denying that, but they weren't near daily occurrences of constantly gloating and ridiculing the right like the threads that are written about the left are. And when you point it out, YOU are the bad guy for not being able to take it or because "the left has done it too". Like that suddenly excuses your terrible behavior.
edit on 1-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

You know, maybe there's an advantage to being this old. When I was growing up, one learned pretty quick that throwing a punch at someone can equate to a harder punch in response. And it really didn't matter to anyone else; the fault lay with who threw the first punch.

We figured out it was better to just not throw a punch in the first place, and worse to cry foul when you found your butt solidly on the ground with blood running out your nose.

No one cares who called who the most names. Who started it?

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Who started it?

Donald J. Trump. End.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Well since it was the Dems that changed the rules so you only need a majority instead of a supermajority, I'd say they brought this on themselves. The only reason they didn't show up was because they would lose regardless. Trying to stop them from doing the very thing they changed the rules to allow them to do by not showing up to work is pretty hypocritical and childish if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JBRiddle

They might end up with more than that. There are at least 10 democrats running for re-election in states that went heavily for Trump in this last election. Now, that doesn't at all mean the seats will go Republican, but those senators have to temper their oppositional stance somewhat in light of that ... if their party will let them that is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join