It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP leave Dems behind. Mnuchin and Price nominations advanced.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

You HAVE a center party.

Its called the vast majority of the Democrat party. They are not lefties, after all.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I'm not so sure about that anymore.

I've spent the morning watching your parliament discuss tonight's vote.

Their example of rational, respectful (even if forceful) opposition is something I thought we had as well in this country- even though it's clear our styles of debate differ.

But what is happening here in the US is not just political opposition between parties, but opposition to the very institutions of our Republic.

It's shameful beyond belief.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Not from my perspective Brit. Their current voice is far and away from what I would call center. Certain ATS members aside, they aren't even up for a discussion.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
The party of not strong enough to say no?

It appears these Congressmen are unable to do their job and actually represent their constituents via debate. Instead, they just stay home and complain about not getting their way. I think the American people are watching, and I believe they're disappointed in how poorly their views are being 'represented' by overgrown children.

TheRedneck

This is what their constituency wants.
As Democrats Take to the Streets, Lawmakers Rush to Keep Up
When the Democratic Senators tries to play a middle ground, their base yelled at them for trying to normalize Trump. So now they are demanding their Congressmen do things like this. Think whatever you want about these actions, but these Congressmen ARE listening to their base with this.
edit on 1-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Well, with all respect to your perspective taken into account, the simple fact is that by the standards that matter, they ARE centrist, no where near left leaning. If Bernie was the top man in the gang, perhaps they would be, but he is not. Hes the BEST person they have, but not their favoured son in any regard. Their favoured members are a lot like Tony Blair. He was about as left wing as Marget Bloody Thatcher!

Left wing ideology is virtually absent from nearly every other person in the Democrat party, and certainly absent from those of whom Hillary approved greatly.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This is what their constituency wants. As Democrats Take to the Streets, Lawmakers Rush to Keep Up When the Democratic Senators tries to play a middle ground, their base yelled at them for trying to normalize Trump. So now they are demanding their Congressmen do things like this. Think whatever you want about these actions, but these Congressmen ARE listening to their base with this.

Just as the executive and the legislative are doing what they were elected to do.

Guess we will see in 2 years who is more effective.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

That was exactly what I was referring to. The Democrats labelled them as such, then proceeded to act worse when they lost power.

And that hypocrisy is exactly why the Republicans managed to take all three branches. Anyone can find loud voices to agree with them, but there are many more of those quiet voices that matter when all is said and done. And they don't like hypocrisy.

Trump will be President for four years. The Democrats have already lost any hope of regaining either chamber in 2018. There is a very good chance, IMO, that this will actually continue until 2024. That is the legacy of the party of hypocrisy.

But then... Trump is gone. There may be no one left to hold the Republicans in check. That is scary to me. So we have almost eight years to either rebuild the Democratic Party into something palatable to the American people, or start a new party. That latter option has little chance in such a short time frame. Will your party PLEASE stop destroying every iota of credibility they have left?

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I guess so. Good thing the Republicans paved the way for this strategy for the last 8 years showing how to make it viable, right?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Most in congress are like dysfunctional children this includes Republicans like Graham and Mc Cain,others are disengenuos like Ryan (all these republicans and Kasich took Soros money-refer Open secrets.org).This changing of rules game was started by Harry Reid a Democrat it was fine then but now the shoe is on the other foot we spit the dummy and stay home if congress is to be a one trick pony so be it.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

If what you say is true, we are doomed to endure a one-party government for a while.

I wonder what the next party will be called?

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Xcalibur254

But then... Trump is gone.

...Will your party PLEASE stop destroying every iota of credibility they have left?

Sobering words. Completely agree.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

If the Republicans can do it and not kill their party, then the Dems can do it too. Though the Dems also have TONS of legal organizations prepared to fight Trump in the courts that the Republicans didn't employ during the Obama era.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I would have give Ol Bern a shot over Trump. However, given how everything went down after his concession, I'm curious as to how much fortitude he actually possessed. I think he preferred to play the safe bet and lost it all.

It's no secret where you stand with Trump. I know you've no faith in the man. Economically, I'm seeing good things. Lots of moves and buzz in my industry. His SCOTUS choice is very reasonable.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

*sigh*

Anyone have any suggestions on names for a new Party?

How about "Equalitarians"?

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I despise munckin, but the fact the democrats acting like spoiled children is reprehensible. They were elected to do a job. Voting NO is doing that job, not hiding out from their responsibilities. If they can't handle it, they should just quit.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Not going to get any help from me. I agree with the obstructionism the Democrats are currently doing. In fact, with the army of lawyers that are gearing up to fight Trump in the courts, I feel like it is being done MUCH better than the whine-fest the Republicans pitched for the last 8 years. The Dems are SERIOUS about fighting for their country. Republicans spent 8 years paying lip service to "civil disobedience", but the Dems and liberals at large are going to show how it is actually done.
edit on 1-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Maybe after all the craziness of the next few years it will be time to finally give the independent platform a chance. I expect some much better options will run independent after years of condensed stupid coming from the left / right paradigm.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Yeah cause they were the ones that used the nuclear option right?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Not going to get any help from me. I agree with the obstructionism the Democrats are currently doing.

...The Dems are SERIOUS about fighting for their country. ...Dems and liberals at large are going to show how it is actually done.

I thought this was OUR country?

Moreover, you're not fighting for it. You're crapping all over it's institutions.

But you and the rest of the lemmings proceed beyond that cliff. I doubt it will work out in the manner you envision.

edit on 1-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Not going to get any help from me. I agree with the obstructionism the Democrats are currently doing.

...The Dems are SERIOUS about fighting for their country. ...Dems and liberals at large are going to show how it is actually done.

I thought this was OUR country?

Really? Trump makes it look like the Democrats and liberals don't belong anymore since apparently our opinons are cancer and we should all be round the clock ridiculed. Don't cry to me about "our country" when Trump has been fostering political division unseen in this country since the Civil War.

Moreover, you're not fighting for it. You're crapping all over it's institutions.

No. That is what Trump is currently doing with his policies. There is a reason that many government workers are ignoring the gag order or creating alternate twitter accounts to keep information rolling.

But you and the rest of the lemmings proceed beyond that cliff. I doubt it will work out in the manner you envision.

Time will tell. I imagine you are wrong. Aren't opinions great?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join