It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP leave Dems behind. Mnuchin and Price nominations advanced.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Senate panel advances Mnuchin, Price nominations without Democrats

Republicans advanced the nominations of Steven Mnuchin to be treasury secretary and Rep. Tom Price, R-Ga., to be health and human services secretary, a day after Democrats postponed the vote by not showing up.

After Democrats boycotted the Senate Finance Committee votes Tuesday, denying the quorum needed for a vote to proceed, chairman Orrin Hatch of Utah called another vote Wednesday. When Democrats again refused to show up, Republicans changed the rules to allow the votes to proceed without them.

Well, there you go.

See also:

GOP changes rules to push through nominees after Dem boycott

edit on 1-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Refusing to go to work doesn't mean your job stops and waits for you. I wonder how many days they can refuse to work before they get fired, I've never heard of it happening before.

If I refuse to work I would get fired. The same should apply to them, it's a job that needs to be done.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
good. a one part system is what America needs.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
A bit of a gamble on the Dems part but probably the right move. Let's be fair, the nominees were going to be approved no matter what. This way if things go tits up the Dems can say that they had nothing to do with it. If things actually go well then it wouldn't matter how the Dems would voted. The Republicans would look like the conquering heroes.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Indeed it does..for awhile. Perhaps remind why we need multiple parties of representation. Maybe we can have a Center party!

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The party of not strong enough to say no?

It appears these Congressmen are unable to do their job and actually represent their constituents via debate. Instead, they just stay home and complain about not getting their way. I think the American people are watching, and I believe they're disappointed in how poorly their views are being 'represented' by overgrown children.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
No it's not the right move.

Its selfishness, and utter nonsense.

Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, the top Dems in Congress, led a raucous demonstration Monday night, as if they are community organizers. And Obama couldn’t bear the irrelevance after eight days out of office and felt compelled to encourage disruptions.

This is Third World behavior and it’s now the M.O. of one of America’s two political parties.

nypost.com...

It's not just one thing. It's everything that's been happening to date.

The lefts lust for power at any cost.

That SNIP needs to end.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Didn't the Democrats change the rules on filibusters a few years ago?
This would make changing the rules accepted would it not?
Turn about is fair play.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The drain opening is bigger than the Democrat politicians.

Like Ross Perot said:

"Giant Sucking Sound"

Total Panic.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
A bit of a gamble on the Dems part but probably the right move. Let's be fair, the nominees were going to be approved no matter what.

Then the appropriate response should have been a no vote.

What they are doing violates the oath of their position:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Link.

You have to show up to do that.

This is an intentional abrogation of that oath.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

No it's not.

The GOP is eating crow right now. They didn't want Trump.

Time the LEFT grows up and start actually representing their people just like the other side.

No one really likes one party rule. Doesn't matter which side it is.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The Republicans just spent the past eight years as the Party of No. They managed to not only keep majority control of Congress but also pick up the presidency.

The average person doesn't care what happens in Congress. Anything Congress does whether good or bad is credited to the party that holds the White House.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I agree. Having rational opposition is necessary for a functioning democracy.

What is happening today is shameful. I hope the left wakes up and begins draining their side of the swamp.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

a reply to: TheRedneck

The Republicans just spent the past eight years as the Party of No.

There is a material difference between being the 'party of no' and 'the party of nowhere to be found'.

Your view is completely irresponsible.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
To my understanding, there needs to be a one day advance warning in writing in order to change the rules like this. Here's the info directly from the Senate's official website (HERE):

Rules of the Senate
SUSPENSION AND AMENDMENT OF THE RULES

1. No motion to suspend, modify, or amend any rule, or any part thereof, shall be in order, except on one day's notice in writing, specifying precisely the rule or part proposed to be suspended, modified, or amended, and the purpose thereof. Any rule may be suspended without notice by the unanimous consent of the Senate, except as otherwise provided by the rules.

2. The rules of the Senate shall continue from one Congress to the next Congress unless they are changed as provided in these rules.

The only iffy part is the "except as otherwise provided by the rules" part, because I haven't found any exceptions it may be referring to. In other words, this should be illegal unless there was any advance notice given yesterday.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

The Republicans literally shut down the government during Obama's administration because they weren't getting their way. So let's not talk about being irresponsible.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

But they showed up to do that.

Your guys are just taking their toys home and refusing to play.

And to what end? It gained them nothing but to further demonstrate how flawed your party has become.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

The Republicans literally shut down the government during Obama's administration because they weren't getting their way. So let's not talk about being irresponsible.

After the Affordable Care Act.

Being the party of 'no' was what they got elected to do.

What the Democrat are currently doing, goes way beyond it.

From sit ins because they LOSE votes to not even showing up.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well I hope you're proud of one of the most slithering slim balls on earth, Steven Mnuchin.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

This has nothing to do with them.

Don't want who you deem to be slime-balls? Then vote and win elections. Demand the same of your representatives in government.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join