It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donalds trip to Harley Davidson cancelled by Harley Davidson.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
From my own experience, 30 years riding everything from 2 stroke vespas to 2.3 litre Triumphs, sport bike and commuter riders tend to be more to the left, Harleys tend to be ridden by more conservative types.

Pick up a US magazine and you will see a prevalence of US, Confederate and POW MIA flags. All things that are anathema to the American left.

That's why you had bikers for Trump but no Hogs for Hillary.

You may not like it, it may strike you as unfair, but that's how it is and if you look into the deeper stuff regarding bikes and bikers, you find that freedom from government meddling in their lives is one of the recurrent themes and traditionally, that means Republican rather than Democrat governments.

Could also mean liberal or Democrat turned Republican due to the difficult choice between two problematic candidates. As well, as a response to the protesters against Trump's agendae.

Also, it seems the Millenials (42% - 18-34 age group HD cycle purchasers) are more likely to be liberal not conservative and this demographic is catching up to the highest purchasers of Harley Davidson motorcylces, if you can believe the statistics. And it appears women (60% HD cycle purchasers - probably because of the Buell model) are more likely to have voted democratic. It is recorded that the political leanings of the Hispanic is 73% Democratic and there are major political fluctuations for African-American voters due to many factors.

www.theatlantic.com...

edit on 02CST11America/Chicago016111128 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
I think that your all missing the point as Mr Trump has trumpeted (Oh I like that) that he wants Americans to buy American. Now look on this visit if it went ahead. Mr Trump"Harley Davidson an American icon brand, just tell me how many American companies make you parts as you obviously don't make them yourselves"?
Harley Davidson replies "err, err, err we don't really employ many manufacturers in the US, we only assemble the bikes here now, most of our parts are outsourced (that's made abroad to you and me) as it's cheaper".
I wonder what a certain Mr Trump would say to that?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
HD is scared. Trumps "make American, buy American" message will have adverse effects.
nypost.com...

That's just a taste.

It's going to be hard to find any "American" product that is 100% made in America. Bearings, electronics, interior trim, and much more is sourced from overseas. This is a global market, not just an American one.

The people that want everything 100% American are the same ones that complain to me daily about prices on replacement parts for their vehicles... "Why is that mirror $450?" "$35 for a bearing?" "What do you mean that wheel is over $1,000?" Just wait and see what happens if everything is made in the US...higher labor costs and production costs, as well as paying CEOs 200x what the workers earn... That $450 mirror will soon be a $600 or more mirror.

Manufacturers source parts from the best source they can, usually from the lowest bidder, to keep production costs low. Remember 2007/2008 auto crisis? The inability of some manufacturers to pay suppliers and sub-suppliers and sub-sub-suppliers (a lot of them American businesses.)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

From my own experience, 30 years riding everything from 2 stroke vespas to 2.3 litre Triumphs, sport bike and commuter riders tend to be more to the left, Harleys tend to be ridden by more conservative types.

Pick up a US magazine and you will see a prevalence of US, Confederate and POW MIA flags. All things that are anathema to the American left.

You may not like it, it may strike you as unfair, but that's how it is and if you look into the deeper stuff regarding bikes and bikers, you find that freedom from government meddling in their lives is one of the recurrent themes and traditionally, that means Republican rather than Democrat governments.

That's been my experience. I'm more of a "sport touring" guy but will be picking up a new Triumph bobber this spring.

When I've ridden with cruiser guys, they are almost always conservative. I also had a Vespa. The Vespa boards I visit are raging liberal hangouts to the point I had stop going. I just want to talk scooters and it is nothing but Trump is hitler.

There are different types of riders and like most stereotypes, there is more than a grain of truth to them.
edit on 1-2-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The Vespa boards I visit are raging liberal hangouts.

I just couldn't resist!!!

LOL!!

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The bottom line for Harley Davidson is keeping up with the times...keeping profits high.

Harley's going to take its LiveWire prototypes on a 30-city tour across the U.S. It's not even bringing the machines to Sturgis, or Daytona, or any of the places where old-school Harley riders gather. But you can be sure Portland will see the LiveWire. And because the bike is #ing cool—and it's just a twist-and-go (no clutch or gears) and very easy to ride—it's going to appeal to young hipsters, tech nerds, chicks... people who've never thought of themselves as 'the Harley type'—or even motorcycle riders. Mark my words: within a year or two, Matt Levatich will stand up in front of a crowd of Harley faithful and say, "We weren't even going to make the LiveWire, but the free market has spoken.

Customers are demanding a LiveWire of their own." Between the lines, Harley-Davidson will tell millions of Duck Dynasty rejects, "Hey, we're a for-profit company, and the market has spoken, bro'. That was democracy in action." Harley-Davidson's current customers resent EVs and the liberals who drive them (or soon, ride them.) But such petty resentments are trumped by a knee jerk belief in the sanctity of a free market. After all, there's nothin' more 'Murican than the profit motive. So after the LiveWire tour, Harley-Davidson will address its existing customers, and actually use their deeply held conservative values to justify the decision to put the LiveWire into production.

backmarker-bikewriter.blogspot.ca...

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

That's been my experience. I'm more of a "sport touring" guy but will be picking up a new Triumph bobber this spring.

When I've ridden with cruiser guys, they are almost always conservative. I also had a Vespa. The Vespa boards I visit are raging liberal hangouts to the point I had stop going. I just want to talk scooters and it is nothing but Trump is hitler.

There are different types of riders and like most stereotypes, there is more than a grain of truth to them.

I hear ya

Back when I had a Vep, it was pretty much split between the mod boys and girls on one side and the skins and scooter boys on the other.

At least when we are all out riding, politics and all the rest of the rubbish doesn't mean a thing.
edit on 26pWed, 01 Feb 2017 11:48:26 -060020172017-02-01T11:48:26-06:00kAmerica/Chicago28000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Could also mean liberal or Democrat turned Republican due to the difficult choice between two problematic candidates. As well, as a response to the protesters against Trump's agendae.

Also, it seems the Millenials (42% - 18-34 age group HD cycle purchasers) are more likely to be liberal not conservative and this demographic is catching up to the highest purchasers of Harley Davidson motorcylces, if you can believe the statistics. And it appears women (60% HD cycle purchasers - probably because of the Buell model) are more likely to have voted democratic. It is recorded that the political leanings of the Hispanic is 73% Democratic and there are major political fluctuations for African-American voters due to many factors.

www.theatlantic.com...

Ok, just because a certain demographic tends to support a certain political leaning does not mean that the proportion of that demographic which falls into a separate grouping will.

For example, what do you suppose the percentage of women who listen to country music and vote one way or the other is? While women in general may favour Democrats offer Republicans, I'd bet you a couple of chai lattes from your favourite coffee shop that the ones who routinely listen to country music radio are Republicans.

It'll be the same with these othere demographics in the bike world.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Well, I would have agreed with you before I found those stats, but now it certainly looks like more liberal/democrats are buying Harley Davidson cycles and if that truly is reality, then they should keep Trump as far away from their manufacturing facilities as possible as that would be bad publicity.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

It's not though is it? That article talks about 80 percent of gen y being Sanders and Dem voters.

That leaves 20 percent who aren't.
My contention is that the Harley buyers in that age group will tend to come from the 20 per cent rather than the 80 percent.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

It's not though is it? That article talks about 80 percent of gen y being Sanders and Dem voters.

That leaves 20 percent who aren't.
My contention is that the Harley buyers in that age group will tend to come from the 20 per cent rather than the 80 percent.

Beat me to it. With that said, HD has been clearly targeting hipsters and younger riders. However, I do think those with the disposable income and an inclination to ride American style cruisers tend to lean more to the right (probably mostly libertarian).

I highly doubt we will be seeing rainbow flags, BLM protests, and Kumbaya drum circles at Sturgis anytime soon.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I highly doubt we will be seeing rainbow flags, BLM protests, and Kumbaya drum circles at Sturgis anytime soon.

Obviously you've never been. Sturgis has very few 1%ers anymore, to many cops. It's mostly Dentist, Architects and attorneys trying to look all bad ass. Hauling their scooters on a trailer behind their Escalades. Total corporate showcase now.

I play in a R&R/country band there nearly every year.

Most Turmp supporters like Trump himself don't even ride.
edit on 1-2-2017 by olaru12 because: snowflakes

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Obviously you've never been. Sturgis has very few 1%ers anymore, to many cops. It's mostly Dentist, Architects and attorneys trying to look all bad ass. Hauling their scooters on a trailer behind their Escalades. Total corporate showcase now.

Uh, I said like two pages back that most HD riders are 1%ers of the cardiologist and dentist kind. However, that still does not change that they still tend to lean to the right politically.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Uh, I said like two pages back that most HD riders are 1%ers of the cardiologist and dentist kind. However, that still does not change that they still tend to lean to the right politically.

Actual 1%ers probably don't bother voting in any appreciable number. Not that there are very many of them anyway.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Actual 1%ers probably don't bother voting in any appreciable number. Not that there are very many of them anyway.

I don't disagree. Very few real biker badasses anymore and the ones that are probably can't legally vote because of felonies. However, insinuating that because most HD riders these days are upper middle class suburbanites instead of legit Mongols or Hells Angels means that they are all of a sudden supporting progressive causes is absurd.
edit on 1-2-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I don't disagree. Very few real biker badasses anymore and the ones that are probably can't legally vote because of felonies. However, insinuating that because most HD riders these days are upper middle class suburbanites instead of legit Mongols or Hells Angels means that they are all of a sudden supporting progressive causes is absurd.

I agree. Even if you are broadly left leaning, the whole freedom libertarian thing is insidious.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
well well well
execs from HD met with trump today and brought bikes to the white house

www.whitehouse.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join