It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live feed : MPs debating to trigger article 50

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Aside from obvious transitional challenges, Britain could prosper in the longer term for all anyone knows.
I'm always a glass half full type of guy though, and we're heading for Brexit anyway so I don't see how doom talk helps matters.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Damiel

The result is a foregone conclusion the debate just fluff around the edges , it's democracy in action although the White paper won't be produced until after they've voted.
Ivan Rogers and his mates in the EU need to understand their threats are , and have been shown to be ... worthless.

They best start being nice to us or we''ll sick the Donald on em.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Started watching the live stream but I've had to turn it off.
It's soo depressing listening to those remainiac MPs with all their doom and gloom speculation.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This is more fun to watch... Nigel Farage in the EU today, another great speech...

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Closing statements...

I'm not at all convinced that it's a forgone conclusion... will the MP's follow the party whips, will there be obstensions, rebels ?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

The Yays far outweigh the Nays , Ken Clarke is the only Tory who will vote against and a majority of Labour MP's will vote with the government , the vote will pass.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
1st set of votes for an amendment put forward by the SNP

Still from the same feed

That this House declines to give a Second Reading to the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill as the Government has set out no provision for effective consultation with the devolved administrations on implementing Article 50, has yet to publish a White Paper detailing the Government’s policy proposals, has refused to give a guarantee on the position of EU nationals in the UK, has left unanswered a range of detailed questions covering many policy areas about the full implications of withdrawal from the single market and has provided no assurance that a future parliamentary vote will be anything other than irrelevant, as withdrawal from the European Union followed two years after the invoking of Article 50 if agreement is not reached in the forthcoming negotiations, unless they are prolonged by unanimity.

The amendment has been signed by 66 MPs, mostly from the SNP, but including some MPs from Labour, Plaid Cymru, the SDLP and the Green’s Caroline Lucas. MPs in favour of article 50 will vote against.

My bolding

1st result :
MPs vote down SNP amendment opposing article 50 bill by 336 votes to 100 - a majority of 236
edit on 1/2/17 by Damiel because: To add 1sst result

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Next up thevote

Result
MPs vote for bill giving May power to trigger article 50 by 498 votes to 114 - a majority of 384

The British government can start negotiations for Brexit.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Final vote from the houses of Parliament
That'll do for me here

MPs for government’s article 50 bill programme motion by 329 votes to 112 - majority of 217

Here is the result.
MPs for the government’s article 50 bill programme motion by 329 votes to 112 - a majority of 217. The programme motion sets aside three days, but no more, for the remaining debates on the bill, meaning it will be ready to go to the Lords by Wednesday night.

Voting breakdown is here on the live feed

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor
Good call

top topics

<< 1   >>

join