It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live feed : MPs debating to trigger article 50

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I'm not taking sides here, this is just a heads up for anyone who wants to follow the exchanges in parliament ahead of tonight's definitive vote.Rolling coverage as the UK parliament gears up to vote on Brexit

Ivan Rogers' evidence to the European scrutiny committee - Summary
Sir Ivan Rogers’ evidence on Brexit has been fascinating. It is probably one of the most revealing select committee hearings we’ve had on this topic since the referendum. Here are the key points.
Rogers said that EU leaders will demand that the UK pays a huge price for leaving the EU. They could demand that the UK pays a sum between €40bn and €60bn, he said

My emphasis in bold

edit on 1/2/17 by Damiel because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/2/17 by Damiel because: Adding in quotes from the feed

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damiel
I'm not taking sides here, this is just a heads up for anyone who wants to follow the exchanges in parliament ahead of tonight's definitive vote.Rolling coverage as the UK parliament gears up to vote on Brexit

Ivan Rogers' evidence to the European scrutiny committee - Summary
Sir Ivan Rogers’ evidence on Brexit has been fascinating. It is probably one of the most revealing select committee hearings we’ve had on this topic since the referendum. Here are the key points.
Rogers said that EU leaders will demand that the UK pays a huge price for leaving the EU. They could demand that the UK pays a sum between €40bn and €60bn, he said

My emphasis in bold

€40 - €60bn,

What exactly would The U.K. be paying for ?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
The divorce settlement ?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Damiel

if they don't pay?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ware2010
Good question !
Perhaps take them to the European high court ?
That'd be ironic

Found the answer at Auntie Beeb :

EU commission chief negotiator Michel Barnier and other key figures were "openly" saying the UK's total financial liabilities would be in the order of 40 to 60bn euros,

edit on 1/2/17 by Damiel because: Link to bbc article

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
You can't seriously tell me that parts of the British government are considering paying that?
edit on 2/1/17 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm confused... What are they being told to pay for?
Did they take something that didn't belong to them?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Who cares what they're being told to pay for? They're leaving the #ing thing.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon
It's the first I've heard of it !!!!
That's a ton of money to pay to be allowed to leave the club, blimey

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
lol

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Apparently, if the UK doesn't pay up, the WTO can impose fines.
This would mean that the cost would continue to augment incrementally.
_______

We could be in for a swathe of resignations from representatives who don't want to vote according to party lines.

The New statesman has good article about who's to watch, who'll vote for, who'll vote against

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Apparently, fixed term agreements / contracts that do not expire for the next 7 years, sort of a legally binding contract.

I wonder who the EU use as a bailiff .......... Rossendales??

LOL

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Give 'em the money. Cheap at twice the price.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Rossendales !!!!!

Going back over the exchanges on the feed, it's pretty much 50/50, very tight indeed

How will the opposing camps react when the UK wakes up tomorrow ?

If Brexit is confirmed, I can imagine the crowing and 'nya nya nya'
If Brexit is blocked ... I can't see anything other than angry people on the streets next weekend ...

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Rossendales !!!!!

Going back over the exchanges on the feed, it's pretty much 50/50, very tight indeed

How will the opposing camps react when the UK wakes up tomorrow ?

If Brexit is confirmed, I can imagine the crowing and 'nya nya nya'
If Brexit is blocked ... I can't see anything other than angry people on the streets next weekend ...

It won't get blocked, that would be political suicide. I can see some MP's going with the wishes of what their constituents voted for but, not enough to block triggering Article 50, don't forget......... it has to get past the House of Lords after this
edit on 2017-02-01T10:38:29-06:002017Wed, 01 Feb 2017 10:38:29 -0600bWednesday3802America/Chicago1710 by corblimeyguvnor because: typo

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Let's not delay it any further! Pay them the stupid divorce bill and let's get out of there

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

It won't get blocked, that would be political suicide

This is the thing, if, a handful of rebel MP's from either camp were to swing it, there will be ructions, people will scream blue murder....

May will have to step down (no ?) General Election in June, the Tories will be done for.

Anyhow, as you say, the Lords then have to have their say.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

May will have to step down (no ?) General Election in June, the Tories will be done for.

The torys? HAHAHAHAHA

The entire goverment would be done for if brexit is blocked!

It is labor MP that are likley to rebel so Labour would be destroyed completly.
Torys would be wrecked too of course.
The GE would end up a dieaster as no doubt UKIP would suck up all the votes resuting in a parliment with no majority.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
What a silly statement. Everybody knows article 50 would be enacted. But please go off on a rant.
All article 50 is is the official notification to the EU that we genuinely want to leave. That's really all it is. Buuuut, it also starts the negotiation process and this is where Ms May gets reamed.
You honestly didn't think that they were going to let us walk free with no backlash? You honestly don't believe that we can negotiate a good deal off them. It's fast coming the time to pay the piper.
THEY are the ones with the power. WE are the ones who have isolated ourselves from THEM. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I see nothing good coming from this.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It seems the country has decided to sacrifice our economic well being in exchange for control over the borders.

Personally I think the money in my pocket is more important than immigration. But hey.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join