It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Supreme Court Nomination Falls Apart In Record Time As Democrats Plan Filibuster

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

And THAT is why i take issue with my neighbors in this country.

That tit for tat nonsense is tolerated. NOw it is actually cheered on, because we are a nation of petulent children playing politics instead of grown ups doing our duties as watchdogs over this monster we call Uncle Sam.

And it is a monster. We all know this.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

When Obama came in, he had a Dem majority and could have rammed the ACA through, but he allowed Republican input, through committees and made huge concessions, for the sake of bipartisanship.

WOW now that is a perfect example of revisionist history there.
They did exactly RAM THE ACA THROUGH. There were 0 gop votes for it.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Yes. And Congress approved two of Obama's picks who definitely moved the court in a different direction. Gursuch for Scalia is just a one for one trade. The Dems need to save their fight for the bigger battle.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Because from day one the GOP's stated goal was to make Obama a one term president. There's a reason that the ACA is modeled off the Heritage Foundation's creation that became known as Romneycare. Obama and the Dems extended an olive branch to the GOP and they slapped the hand away.

If Obama had gotten what he wanted we would have a single payer system.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well, it's clear the GOP will proceed without the Democrats from this point forward.

See for example: GOP leave Dems behind. Mnuchin and Price nominations advanced.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

It's not revisionist history, perhaps you have a revisionist memory? Obama's original plan came from Republican Mitt Romney's, Heritage Foundation, model of "single payer". It was the Republicans, through committees, that rejected that option, and Obama caved when he didn't have to, in my opinion.

For Republican to refuse to even consider Obama's nominee was obstructionist, as was the Republican mantra for the entire Obama administration.

But, this thread isn't about the ACA, it's about the SCOTUS nomination, one that I personally don't have such a problem with. I would like to see an attempt at bipartisanship, and I think the Republicans missed an opportunity to rise above the fray and still win. I understand the Dem's consternation and pay back is fair play. But, this time, I don't think it's a battle worth fighting.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

our government isn't a game to be played with and the supreme court should not be one of the game pieces though. while the executive and legislature branches are highly political in nature, the supreme court is supposed to be above the politics.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

It's not revisionist history, perhaps you have a revisionist memory? Obama's original plan came from Republican Mitt Romney's, Heritage Foundation, model of "single payer". It was the Republicans, through committees, that rejected that option, and Obama caved when he didn't have to, in my opinion.

For Republican to refuse to even consider Obama's nominee was obstructionist, as was the Republican mantra for the entire Obama administration.

But, this thread isn't about the ACA, it's about the SCOTUS nomination, one that I personally don't have such a problem with. I would like to see an attempt at bipartisanship, and I think the Republicans missed an opportunity to rise above the fray and still win. I understand the Dem's consternation and pay back is fair play. But, this time, I don't think it's a battle worth fighting.

We talking about the government of the free world or a football game?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Obama and the Dems extended an olive branch to the GOP and they slapped the hand away.

Looks like trump is extending the same "olive branch" now. Pass what I want with us or we will pass it without you.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

It was the Republicans, through committees, that rejected that option, and Obama caved when he didn't have to, in my opinion.

So that got passed with how many gop votes? It did not even get all the dem votes available.
Next you will tell me the dems didnt use the "nuclear option" as well.

The dems will cave on this appointment. The nom is pretty mainstream. They don't really have a choice as they pioneered using a simple majority.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
TRUMP tells the GOP to GO NUCLEAR if Democrats Get In The Way.

""President Trump said Wednesday he’d urge Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., to “go nuclear” if his Supreme Court nominee is held up, raising the stakes in what already has become an impassioned Senate fight over Judge Neil Gorsuch.

Going “nuclear” is Washington code for changing Senate rules to allow a nominee to win confirmation with a slim majority, without first having to get 60 votes. Doing so could have lasting effects on the consideration of future nominees, not just Gorsuch.""

Source: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Because from day one the GOP's stated goal was to make Obama a one term president.

All for good reasons as we now know.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Of course he did. He's already clearly demonstrated that he's a man-child that's never been told no.

I wonder how long it will take for the Right to realize that Trump doesn't understand that President is not the same thing as King.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join