It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private space station coming soon? Company aiming for 2020 launch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
A company by the name of Axiom International aims to build the world's first privately built/funded spacestation. The ISS is set to be de-comissioned in 2024 if it's mission isn 't extended so Axiom is looking to capitalize by building its own spacestation with the goal of providing services for: government agency astronauts, private companies and individuals for research, manufacturing and space exploration systems testing, and to grow a healthy space-tourism business.

A busy 2017 Amir Blachman, vice president of strategic development for Houston-based Axiom Space, said the company is shaping its plans to build the International Space Station’s (ISS) international, privately owned successor. The goals are to build an orbiting outpost that will host government agency astronauts, private companies and individuals for research, manufacturing and space exploration systems testing, and to grow a healthy space-tourism business, Blachman said.This year, Axiom’s to-do list is hefty. “We are now deep into conversations with our first nonsovereign astronaut customers,” Blachman told Space.com in an exclusive interview. Axiom has begun conversations with 20-plus countries, he said, and is also working out the details with its first research and manufacturing tenant. By 2017, Axiom wants to have contracts in place to start driving revenue and project advancements, Blachman said. Furthermore, by closing first and second rounds of funding this year, the group can start construction of the Axiom space station in earnest, he said.

I think this is exciting news! However, if they can do this successfully is another question. I think it's about time someone stepped up to the plate seeing as how government agencies move so slowly. People like Musk, Beezos, and Branson have jumpstarted the private Space movement. Now it seems the only way to go is up! What says ATS?

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Rich people in SPACE!

Or if your Matt Damon fans.

Axiom is Elysium!

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Rich people in SPACE!

Or if your Matt Damon fans.
Axiom is Elysium!

Elysium does come to mind. Good call.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I HATED that movie.

But I do like the idea of a private space station.

Babylon 5.

Deep space Nine.

We are way past due.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Rich people in SPACE!

Rich people funded the voyage of Columbus, who wasn't rich himself. That's kinda how it works. Jamestown was funded by private enterprise and greedy corporations.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I don't see why they don't just buy the ISS , one careful owner but lots of miles on the clock.
NASA and ESA could rent a bit for their astronauts and the money raised could send us to Mars , it would also save putting yet more junk up there.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
They should build one with a centrifugal ring to create artificial gravity, like in 2001: a Space Odyssey.

They could have a part in the middle that stays still so they can have their anti-gravity experiments.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
i bet the flat earth businessmen who capitalized for years on the tinfoilies are biting their nails or creating a new theory to sell.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Interesting part of that CBSNews article:

Axiom isn’t the only company vying to provide this commercial successor. Las Vegas-based company Bigelow Aerospace, for example, is building huge expandable space habitats that could serve a variety of customers. The company is currently testing a prototype habitat, known as the Bigelow Aerospace Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM), on the ISS.

Robert Bigelow, huh? Wonder if unloading the Skinwalker Ranch was a look toward the possibility of getting some of this ISS decommissioning action. It's a conspiracy site after all

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Like I always say when I see these kind of anouncements, let's first see a commercial manned spaceflight in LEO, and then we can talk. It's one thing to send satellites or ISS modules up there, and totally another to ensure safety and wellbeing of a human astronaut.

top topics

join