It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate committee approves DeVos nomination

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Deplorable.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
As a parent having benefit of an elementary education back in the sixties when math, reading and history were taught straight up without embellishment, doodads, crutches and grading curves.

It is frustrating to see the inferior level of work expected at grade and the unecessary hoop jumping my children are wasting valuable classroom time on.

I have to constantly re-teach them away from the claptrap they call education today.

And yes they are overpaid prima donnas, it's now well into 2017 and my children's school has essentially done nothing worthy since thanksgiving holiday, just place holding and maintaining attendance. Meanwhile teachers added day upon day of so-called teacher work days tacked onto Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years breaks that extended their time away from teaching.

These same teacher will soon be claiming students must work extra hard and do huge amounts of homework to catch up and pass their rigged tests.

I certainly have no respect for the current state of affairs.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix
I completely agree! What a well written response.

I think anyone willing to remove common core is willing to put teaching back in the school. That is the most confusing mess of materials that I have ever seen.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I wonder if Trump's supporters are even aware of their doublespeak. They praise DeVos' appointment because she's an outsider. At the same time they praise Mnuchin's appointment claiming that the fact that he was intimately involved in the 2008 crash makes him an expert on fixing the economy. So what is it that actually makes a good appointment? Them being an outsider or an expert?

Our maybe, just maybe, they're both terrible choices and Trump's worshippers are suffering from cognitive dissonance.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing this good news! So much going on, it's hard to keep up with it all. I think Donald Trump is still at a 100% approval rate for his nominees, isn't he?

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

It's cognitive dissonance to reject the notion that every problem should be solved by the same type of tool?

I wonder if the left is even aware of how their hatred for Trump is so paramount, that it's robbed them of any rational thought altogether.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

It seems though some think a hammer is the right "tool" to remove a bolt..when all you needed was adjust the wrench.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

It seems though some think a hammer is the right "tool" to remove a bolt..when all you needed was adjust the wrench.

Your statement is exactly how Obamacare works.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Look at the protestors women who cant get a man and men who are half women,Education is the number one priority this generation is lost but you might save the next one if you start now with a system that returns to basics.Yes this post will offend many here but its the truth.
edit on 31-1-2017 by khnum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
One more nugget of information about her and her family. Her brother is co-founded of the Iraq War Mercenary group known as Blackwater, now its called Academi I believe.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: trb71
One more nugget of information about her and her family. Her brother is co-founded of the Iraq War Mercenary group known as Blackwater, now its called Academi I believe.

Compulsory military cadets now theres a good idea

Meanwhile in Russia

edit on 31-1-2017 by khnum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: TheBulk

Under the oft maligned Common Core we have actually seen test scores increase for the first time in a long time. That includes math. Historically our worst subject.

So clearly something is working. But I can understand why the Right doesn't want to admit that. They're guy completely f***ed things up with No Child Left Behind.

Ha...looks like the poster below you proves that you're full of #.
Why do you guys gotta make stuff up and try to lie? Why does the left think that it's cool to do that?
Consider you're discredited...in this, or any other forum.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I know plenty of educators from all parts of the country with all kinds of political leanings and not a one supports DeVos.

Sure ya do.

Same as you know math test scores are improving.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: stolencar18

I'm willing to admit I was wrong in certain aspects. I thought math scores were getting better but I was wrong. However, we are doing better in science and reading. Proof for that is the latest PISA results.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: stolencar18

So you can't name a single educator you know that supports DeVos' pick? Thanks for supporting my claim.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

If the head of the bolt has been stripped, a hammer is sometimes useful for removing a bolt.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I think a grinder or torch, or vice grips is better suited..blunt force trauma just makes a mess and probably causes more damage

Use the right tool.
edit on 31-1-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I think a grinder or torch is better suited..blunt force trauma just makes a mess and probably causes more damage

The point is still the same.... the bolt is ruined.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I agree but still you need to use the right tool..not just any old piece of crap out of the toolbox

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
As a person living under a parliamentary system (Canada), I find the whole business of the Senate Confirmation Hearings something of a mystery. In my country if the PM wants someone in the cabinet, that's it, the person is in. If they are incompetent, they are replaced at the earliest convenient time.

The current question of whether the nominated Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, would be able to operate independently of Donald Trump, is, from my vantage point, the height of mystery. Why would this be in question, particularly after the president just fired an acting AG for defying an executive order? What would it serve to have an AG or any cabinet minister in a position where they could and would operate independently of the president?

The Congress and the Judiciary are the checks written into the US constitution, against the power of the Executive branch. Surely, seeking to establish a potential "fifth column" of "independent" cabinet ministers is to violate the intent of the Founding Fathers.

What are they trying to achieve?
edit on 31-1-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join