It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen Alexander and the Devos nomination

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: BubbaJoe

In all honesty if there is a CNB exchange, I hope the first wave takes me. Trump presents no level of trust in me, and yeah I do think it is that bad.

i wouldnt wish surviving a cnb on anyone
you are right about that, it is horrible

i worry about a limited terrorist cnb event,(one of the reasons i dont live in an urban environment) but i havent worried about a full scale exchange since i was a child(80's kid)

I hope he is successful as well, America prospers, but the bar is so low he will trip over it, and break a hip

that is funny

60's kid, I have been through the CD BS.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
I live in a fairly rural state, with 2 large metropolitan areas. The Republicans took the state, even though they effect my life more readily, they do no invoke the trepidation that Trump does.

I live in both Southern CA and SW AZ.

Talk about a contrast.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
I live in a fairly rural state, with 2 large metropolitan areas. The Republicans took the state, even though they effect my life more readily, they do no invoke the trepidation that Trump does.

I live in both Southern CA and SW AZ.

Talk about a contrast.

I am in the middle of country, not Kansas, thank Dog. That being said I live in Misery, and do taxes for a living, on both sides of the state line. Brownback is killing KS, and his supporters will not acknowledge.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Apologies to the board for posting an out-of-bounds website. I was not aware of that rule. My bad.
Thanks to burdman for removing it.

edit on 2/1/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Apologies to the board for posting an out-of-bounds website. I was not aware of that rule. My bad.
Thanks to burdman for removing it.

Welcome back.

I did it!

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

YAY! You know what else I was thinking earlier this evening? I'm a registered Home School here in KS, too -- from when my son was considering an alternative to the standard high school routine (he is extremely bright, and even with an IEP, the school was just too regimental for his temperament).

I'll open my own school if she gets in. It's totally legal here. And I KNOW I have what it takes. I also have an actual hard-copy library I can use when the grid goes down, too. Teachers don't become "not teachers" ever. It's in our blood. It's our raison d'etre. A calling. A mission. AND I'm fluent in Spanish. Hah. I can do SSL, ESL, and all of the basics. I'm trained and experienced.

That actually helps people instead of just scaring them into submission like churches do. And from experience with the darling girls, the rumors of naughty Catholic School Girls? ALL TRUE.
edit on 2/1/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

YAY! You know what else I was thinking earlier this evening? I'm a registered Home School here in KS, too -- from when my son was considering an alternative to the standard high school routine (he is extremely bright, and even with an IEP, the school was just too regimental for his temperament).

I know about IEPs.

So far my California Public school has been amazing.

Did you catch that Jerry Falwell Jr has just been tapped to lead the higher education task force?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Thank you for letting me know that you are an educator.

This only solidifies my choice to home school my child.

I am surprised you are willing to say that you are a teacher considering the absolute joke our educational system is.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

I'm not a BIT surprised to hear you say that. What I do is activism now. I educate. I'm trying to educate adults even if you don't like my style. I want what's best for YOUR CHILD. I want YOUR CHILD to have a healthy set of skills. I want PARENTS to be trained to recognize what their children need. You all here don't want to learn anything, though. You just want to kill everyone who has thoughts that don't back up your warped worldview.

GOD IS NOT AN EDUCATION.

The teachers who work in public schools don't get paid as much as my 26 year-old son does as a catering manager. Yet you wonder why there is a lot of turnover. I am correct, and you are going to damage your own kids by home-schooling them with that attitude.

edit on 2/2/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I know about IEPs.

So far my California Public school has been amazing.

Did you catch that Jerry Falwell Jr has just been tapped to lead the higher education task force?

OH HOLY GOD. Goddy god. This is insanity.
RELIGION IS A CURSE. IT IS A FALSE NARRATIVE THAT DRIVES PEOPLE INSANE. Full. Stop. IT IS HORRIBLE.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Oh my gawd! Talk about stereotyping!! Annee, you're too much. You have been everything under the sun according to your posts (at least over the span of the 5 years I have been here.)

Annee has been nothing but consistent - and rational. I've been reading her posts since I joined. I think it's interesting that rather than try to argue her point - you instead need to try and discredit her

She's not wrong. Two different parties, two different approaches. It's simultaneously useful - and crippling - to be open to new ideas and to be able to change your thinking, your direction...your position

Lockstep is more effective at furthering an agenda

These are of course generalizations - and conservatives do argue with each other. Different factions in recent years have changed everything. For instance - who is no longer conservative enough to still be called conservative?

What we're all watching right now is an attempted coup of our democracy - happening in real time. Reactionaries and ideological course changes - an interesting combination

Who would have thunk we'd be talking about dumping NATO and helping Russia with it's little Ukraine project just a few short years ago? :-)

edit on 2/2/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
...conversely...

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
As I said on DeVos.

No hope.

Pence is the deciding vote.

This administration will destroy America.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

As I said on DeVos.

No hope.

How?

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

As I said on DeVos.

No hope.

Maybe help destroy the tumors of the Democrat Party.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

As I said on DeVos.

No hope.

Maybe help destroy the tumors of the Democrat Party.

I'm not a Democrat. Actually, I'm a former Republican.

But, they went insane. Now I'm unaffiliated.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Hey folks! GUESS WHAT!!! ???

I can hardly believe it's true - but I got a personal letter from Pat Roberts, the ancient Senator from Kansas. I had called and emailed and FBd him repeatedly regarding my concerns about her. Just wanted to share his reply with you all, and yes, it did calm me down quite a bit:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding the nominee for Secretary of Education. I appreciate your taking the time to write.

As a member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, I am fortunate to be able to represent Kansans in education policy discussions. I attended public schools, and my wife and I chose to send our children to public schools and universities. In addition, I understand the importance and proud tradition of public schools in Kansas. I want to ensure every child receives a high-quality education.

President Trump nominated Betsy DeVos to serve as the Secretary of Education. Her nomination was approved by the HELP Committee in January and was approved by the full Senate on February 7, 2017, by a vote of 51-50, where the Vice-President voted yea to confirm the nomination.

In response to the concerns of Kansans, I personally spoke with DeVos and secured her strong support for the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). I have long called for full federal funding of IDEA and expressed my interest in working with her to find areas where IDEA can be strengthened. Furthermore, she gave me her commitment that she will fully enforce and implement the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act.

In addition, I also had an opportunity to speak with her about improving the implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), and she committed to implementing the legislation as Congress wrote it. It is also important to note that Secretary DeVos was very clear that she will not use her position as Secretary to force states to adopt voucher programs, and that she will fully respect state authority over education.

Based on our conversations and her commitments to me, I supported her nomination. Please be assured I take seriously my constitutional responsibility to provide “advice and consent” when considering executive branch nominees. As the Senate conducts additional oversight of the Department of Education, I will keep your concerns in mind. If you would like more information on issues before the Senate, please visit my website at roberts.senate.gov.... You may also sign up on my home page for a monthly electronic newsletter as well as follow me on Facebook at Facebook.com/SenPatRoberts and Twitter at Twitter.com/SenPatRoberts for additional updates on my work for Kansas.

With every best wish,

Pat Roberts

That helps. A little bit.
We'll see, but at least she apparently had someone coach her as to what IDEA is...!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

We'll see, but at least she apparently had someone coach her as to what IDEA is...!

I admit, there have been surprises. Few, but some.

I'm warming up a bit more to Gorsuch. Him being Episcopalian and not Baptist helps (in my world).

DeVos???? Too much of God's Kingdom for me.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I admit, there have been surprises. Few, but some.

I'm warming up a bit more to Gorsuch. Him being Episcopalian and not Baptist helps (in my world).

DeVos???? Too much of God's Kingdom for me.

For me, as well. ANY "God's Kingdom" is too much for me.
Just looking at her makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit --- like she's running for prom queen, just tickled pink at her good fortune (erm, I mean, having spent a good portion of her fortune to BUY her way into the nomination). I have no respect for the woman at all. And her brother is a Halliburton guy -- mercenaries. Killers for hire. Hitmen.

Her false claim that she wasn't on the board of her mom's foundation is also really really bad. But if Congress manages to keep her in line, and doesn't just let her get away with whatever, I will breathe a bit easier. It's that, or stop caring. My blood pressure has skyrocketed over the last couple of months.

It's a little bit lower now.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join