It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen Alexander and the Devos nomination

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: loam

We've already seen what she wants to do. Her policies are in place in Michigan. They made things worse. Especially for the inner city. Why do you think they will suddenly work when applied to the rest of the country?

Remember, this is the same woman that has never been involved in public education in anyway and thinks teachers are paid too much. That right there should be indicative of her qualifications.
If she's never been involved in education before then how can she have "failed policies" already in place in Michigan? You probably don't realize this, but you're making no sense.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Above top secret has become another Trump site :-/

That's your perception. But, ATS does have a reputation for having some extremely sharp well-informed deep research types on board, so it doesn't surprise me that there are a lot of Trump supporters.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I am so over this. SO SO OVER THIS.

I used to be an educator and social worker. And NOTHING you can say will erase that. DeVos is by her own admission unqualified. She has NEVER been a school superintendent. She has NEVER had to borrow money to go to school. None of her CHILDREN had to borrow money to go to school. She is a lipsticked idiot when it comes to education.

If you were so qualified, then where were you when they implemented common core less than 10 years ago, forcing it down the throats of our schools and basically creating the generation of complete idiots without common SENSE that we're dealing with now?
edit on 31-1-2017 by gernblan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Sure, now it's a site of..alternative fact's

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

And this TOOL Alexander is a neanderthal with a club. This is insane.
I WILL NOT GIVE HER A CHANCE.

She, just like Trump, is TOTALLY OUT OF HER LEAGUE.

Disgraceful.
I am ashamed, embarrassed, and furious at this entire debacle of oligarch take-over.

WTH IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?????????????
I guess we can blame Common Core for their stupidity, huh? Hahaha

You know, you're pretty good at internet meltdowns. Did you learn that in public school?
edit on 31-1-2017 by gernblan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

NO

She is a Bible-thumping idiot who doesn't know the first thing about administrating a school system. She is out of her league. FFS, any paraprofessional for special ed, any parent who's had a child who needs an IEP, any human being who knows the FIRST THING about childhood development and education knows more about WHAT KIDS NEED. A TEACHER knows more.

Kaine is right. Murray, Bennet, Hassan, Franken, Warren.

And this TOOL Alexander is a neanderthal with a club. This is insane.
I WILL NOT GIVE HER A CHANCE.

She, just like Trump, is TOTALLY OUT OF HER LEAGUE.

Disgraceful.
I am ashamed, embarrassed, and furious at this entire debacle of oligarch take-over.

WTH IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?????????????

So...you're partially responsible for these confused, hurting, and dysfunctional SJW-types? I'll leave that at that.

Our education system sucks and I say that as someone with academic honors. Not that everyone can, but the best interns I get for my business are predominantly--not all--home schooled.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

So It will be 'rubber stamping' when she's confirmed, but would be proper vetting if she were to be rejected?

Lol.

Neat trick, but consistent with your diseased view that only the left has all of the right answers and judgments.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Sure, now it's a site of..alternative fact's

I don't think so. When you see a post that contains a blatant untruth, you should speak up and present sources that support your positions. ATS allows that, you know.

If you think NYT, WaPO, HuffPo, CNN, ABC, NBC, etc. are the only sources of facts, then, honestly, you are the one living in a miasma of alternative facts.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I have done it many times, and I do not watch MSM.
Tell me what makes DeVos Qualified to run the countries education system..can you list her credentials?

An interesting read
www.alternet.org...

edit on 31-1-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Washington is filled with experienced, but ineffective, people. Sometimes you need smart people with a completely different view.

Some of the greatest innovations in history came from outsiders.

In the end, I strongly believe that education will be disrupted in a positive way with significant improvements not by politicians, but by someone from the business sector.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I totally get what you are saying and agree with the principle ..why her though? surely there are better candidates..and no I'm not calling you Shirley

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Why not, I don't know, an actual educator? Also, can you please remind everyone what DeVos has done that qualifies her as a businesswoman?

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Perhaps. But I don't know her personally and am not privy to what POTUS believes about her specific capabilities. In the end, anything said about her skills or lack thereof is just speculation.

I'm giving Trump the benefit of the doubt.

Now we see what happens.

edit on 31-1-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Eye Popper.....

Dept. of Ed: Catholic H.S. Students Twice as Likely to Graduate College

Students who attended Catholic high schools were approximately twice as likely as students who attended public high schools to go on and graduate from college, according to a new report from the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Hey, here's an idea. Become POTUS and I'll most likely support your choices as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

So if Obama nominated someone like Bill Gates for Secretary of Defense you would have supported the choice?

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

At this point I don't give a crap who voted for what. OUR CHILDREN'S EDUCATION IS AT STAKE.

I AM AN EDUCATOR.
I AM A SOCIAL WORKER.

THIS CHOICE IS AN ABOMINATION.

And that's all I have to say. You all fight it out. I am too furious.

Questions:

1. What grade level do you teach?

2. Do you teach at a public or private school?

3. What is your district's position on teachers letting their own political beliefs spill out into the lesson plan?

4. What is your position on teachers letter their own political beliefs spill out into the lesson plan?

5. And lastly, proficiency or growth? Which one is best used to measure efficiency in education?

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I don't give a toss. I am speaking from a position of expertise.

I used to be an educator and social worker. And NOTHING you can say will erase that. DeVos is by her own admission unqualified. She has NEVER been a school superintendent. She has NEVER had to borrow money to go to school. None of her CHILDREN had to borrow money to go to school. She is a lipsticked idiot when it comes to education.

DeVos is different. Trump is different. This is the cycle where Americans have determined that IT IS TIME to do many things DIFFERENTLY.

My cat would be DIFFERENT as a choice for education Secretary, doesn't mean she's qualified. DeVos is a DISASTER.

She has no knowledge of even the most basic things,

When asked if taxpayer funded K-12 schools should be required to meet the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), which ensures students with disabilities are accommodated for their needs, DeVos responded by saying that the issue is "best left to the states", and when later asked if she knew it was a federal law she stated she "may have confused it".[52] The statement worried some in the education community, along with disability rights groups, for her lack of knowledge on the issue at the hearing,

She is mainly focused on creating charter school systems with no oversight that continue to create and re-enroll students doing poorly.

Wiki

She has donated millions to a PAC that was fined for election contribution violations and has to date, not paid the fine.

She is not an educator, she is a wealthy RNC donator and a lobbyist.

DeVos Record

Betsy DeVos and other family members have given more than $2 million to the PAC (Great Lakes Educartion project) since 2001. GLEP has spent that money essentially buying policy outcomes that have helped Michigan’s charter industry grow while shielding it from accountability.

Michigan has Charter schools have the worst record and assessments.

Betsy DeVos’ lodestar has been her conviction that any nontraditional public school is better than a traditional one, simply because it’s not operated by government.

She believes that education should be used to advance God's Kingdom.

However, in a 2001 interview for The Gathering, a group focused on advancing Christian faith through philanthropy, she and her husband offered a rare public glimpse of their views. Asked whether Christian schools should continue to rely on giving—rather than pushing for taxpayer money through vouchers—Betsy DeVos replied, "There are not enough philanthropic dollars in America to fund what is currently the need in education...Our desire is to confront the culture in ways that will continue to advance God's kingdom."

Education nor the Education Secretary should be an instrument of 'Advancing God's Kingdom.'

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Well her family has dumped the more funds into the RNC than any other..that to me seems to be the majority of her qualifications..she is being rewarded.
It's just opinion though.

Look above..Relda makes some very good points.
edit on 31-1-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

All grade levels. Pre-K to college.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join