It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Tribune discusses four ways of removing Trump as POTUS including a MILITARY COUP

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

What would top U.S. military leaders do if given an order that struck them as not merely ill-advised, but dangerously unhinged? An order that wasn't along the lines of "Prepare a plan to invade Iraq if Congress authorizes it based on questionable intelligence," but "Prepare to invade Mexico tomorrow!" or "Start rounding up Muslim Americans and sending them to Guantánamo!" or "I'm going to teach China a lesson — with nukes!"

It's impossible to say, of course. The prospect of American military leaders responding to a presidential order with open defiance is frightening — but so, too, is the prospect of military obedience to an insane order. After all, military officers swear to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, not the president. For the first time in my life, I can imagine plausible scenarios in which senior military officials might simply tell the president: "No, sir. We're not doing that," to thunderous applause from The New York Times editorial board.

Brace yourselves. One way or another, it's going to be a wild few years.

Are we really stuck with President Donald Trump?

This is something out of a Twilight Zone episode. I posted recently that we could be in the very early stages of a civil war, and some people seemed to find that idea to be too wild. I have no problem with that.

Please read the article linked to above and reconsider. This is the most militant article I've ever read in the mainstream media, and we're less than two weeks into Trump's administration.

Is the article linked to above an example of sedition? I'm not sure, but I have never felt the need to ask that question about any article I've ever seen in the mainstream media.

I don't care what you're opinion of Trump is, I feel like there are legitimate reasons for concern.
edit on 31-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   
The left is itching to subvert democracy and start a civil war. They think that they can do these things because the mass media encourages and insights them. We are still living under a liberal tyranny.

+26 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Opinionated hit pieces with large dollops of feels and little logic and facts don't do it for me, it's like I'm reading Hillarys personal diary of epic butthurtness Vol 1.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   
You guys say so much,
but know so little.

POTUS reads the riot act to King Salman of Saudi Arabia.
Jared Kushner and Mike Flynn listen in as well.

Buck

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
The left is itching to subvert democracy and start a civil war. They think that they can do these things because the mass media encourages and insights them. We are still living under a liberal tyranny.

You may be right about that. However, the argument in the article we're discussing appears to be different.

This is option three for getting rid of Trump: an appeal to Vice President Mike Pence's ambitions. Surely Pence wants to be president himself one day, right? Pence isn't exactly a political moderate — he's been unremittingly hostile to gay rights, he's a climate change skeptic, etc. — but, unappealing as his politics may be to many Americans, he does not appear to actually be insane. (This is the new threshold for plausibility in American politics: "not actually insane.")

Are we really stuck with President Donald Trump?

They seem to want Pence over Trump. They're admitting that they don't expect to gain much politically from that (assuming that the author of the article is left-leaning).

They are saying that they want a sane president versus what they feel is an insane president.

My conspiratorial side makes me wonder if this may have been part of a master plan because some people believe Pence is a "globalist" while Trump apparently is not.
edit on 31-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Just because they call the president insane doesn't make it so. There was an election, they lost. Move on. They don't get to pick who the president is just because they don't like Trump. I thought Obama was insane but what does that matter?
edit on 31-1-2017 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

What would top U.S. military leaders do if given an order that struck them as not merely ill-advised, but dangerously unhinged? An order that wasn't along the lines of "Prepare a plan to invade Iraq if Congress authorizes it based on questionable intelligence," but "Prepare to invade Mexico tomorrow!" or "Start rounding up Muslim Americans and sending them to Guantánamo!" or "I'm going to teach China a lesson — with nukes!" It's impossible to say, of course. The prospect of American military leaders responding to a presidential order with open defiance is frightening — but so, too, is the prospect of military obedience to an insane order. After all, military officers swear to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, not the president. For the first time in my life, I can imagine plausible scenarios in which senior military officials might simply tell the president: "No, sir. We're not doing that," to thunderous applause from The New York Times editorial board.

Yes people, imagine that this is not hypothetical......

Isn't this fantasy much worse than what former administrations actually did?

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I'm not going to give them the benefit of a page view.

This is the kind of twilight zone left wing loony toons nonsense that lost them the election.

No one gave the goofball crazy right wingers the time of day when they spouted this crap. I don't see why it should be any different for the left wingers.

We have true patriotic Americans in charge of the DOD who believe in the Constitution.

General Mattis and General Dunford are not going to enforce Martial law and they are not going to stage a military coup either.

This is Fake News.

edit on 31-1-2017 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
If anything, the Chicago Tribune should be discussing how to remove the entire inept political leadership of Chicago...unless, of course, they whole heartedly endorse the murders in their city that no one in the city seems to want to put to an end...

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71
You guys say so much,
but know so little.

POTUS reads the riot act to King Salman of Saudi Arabia.
Jared Kushner and Mike Flynn listen in as well.

Buck

Ummm...I always watch your posts like a hawk...

There are very few posters on this site that I really pay close attention to...

Your one of them...

I wonder why...?

YOuSir

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   
You know, this reminds me of a time not too long ago, when Trump said something along the lines of exercising our 2nd amendment rights. Taken out of context, IMO, it was condemned as Trump calling for Clinton's assignation.

Can we not make the same case now, that the Tribune is calling for a military coup? Would this be treason? As we were told, you never know who is listening, and how you might influence them. If a coup does take place, can you hold the Tribune accountable?

Really, I just wish we could stop looking at our divisions...all of us on all sides...and see our common ground and have peaceful dialog, building us up, and not tearing us apart.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Another wacky nut job polluting the minds of young people:

www.law.georgetown.edu...

Big surprise.
edit on 31-1-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

What they wrote is demonstrating democracy...
What you wrote is what prevents it from happening.

I think you need to read up on your Plato, and John Adam's and what democracy really means.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

The Military overthrowing the elected government is democracy?

What reality is this? This is some weird Orwellian nightmare.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
a reply to: strongfp

The Military overthrowing the elected government is democracy?

What reality is this? This is some weird Orwellian nightmare.

No, a military is a last resort in any situation for public out cry. What happened in 1860s is a perfectly fine way to demonstrate democracy.

It's not just voting and popularity contests you know.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I think you need to read up on your Plato, and John Adam's and what democracy really means.
America is a constitutional republic with democratically elected representatives. We do not live in platos democracy.

Trump is one of those democratically elected officials. How does pushing him out with a military coup uphold our constitution?

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: strongfp

America is a constitutional republic with democratically elected representatives. We do not live in platos democracy.

Trump is one of those democratically elected officials. How does pushing him out with a military coup uphold our constitution?

Platos democracy is one of the foundations of all democratic processes, and the US is hardly a true republic, it has electoral votes, trump didn't win popular vote, and from the looks of it isn't very popular still.

Democracy means that the power is in the people's words and actions. It starts with civil process as voting and if the person appointed is a monkey at the helm they have other processes to remove that person, one of which is coup and civil war. Both of which generally involve civilian people. Military isn't made of robots you know.
It's funny, people who right back against government now are communists, lefty libs, etc, etc yet it's liberal mindset that shaped America and brought more change to this world to where it is today.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Time to dust off the sedition laws and start sending all the leftist agitators to prison where they belong .

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The only military coup is going to be in...

...CHICAGO!

What a farce, the murder capital of the universe opining about overthrowing the US government! What a JOKE!

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

ROGER THAT!!!

Opinions are one thing, but condoning and even encouraging highly illegal acts are something altogether different!

ETA...The Chicago Times needs to contemplate what would happen to their editorial members if they ran a similar story in Turkey! Here's the short version; there wouldn't be a trial, just a bunch of people mysteriously strung up by lamp cords.

edit on 1/31/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join