It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is the Halo Effect and How Does It Effect You?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

The halo effect is a type of cognitive bias in which our overall impression of a person influences how we feel and think about his or her character. Essentially, your overall impression of a person ("He is nice!") impacts your evaluations of that person's specific traits ("He is also smart!").

Marketers take advantage of the halo effect to sell products and services. When a celebrity spokesperson endorses a particular item, our positive evaluations of that individual can spread to our perceptions of the product itself.

Job applicants are also likely to feel the impact of the halo effect. If a prospective employer views the applicant as attractive or likable, they are more likely to also rate the individual as intelligent, competent, and qualified.

So, the next time you trying to evaluate another person, whether it is deciding which political candidate to vote for or which movie to see on a Friday night, consider how your overall impressions of an individual might influence your evaluations of other characteristics.

What Is the Halo Effect and How Does It Effect You?

This thread could set you free. It could also make you realize that you should leave your significant other.

I recently contemplated what attracts me to women. I realized that the main thing that attracts me to women is arrogance. I think that's because I lack anything like that in myself, but that's a different issue. When I thought about the last several women that I was attracted to (over a long period of time), the common characteristic among them was arrogance. The strange thing about that is the fact that I believe arrogance is a huge shortcoming, so it's bizarre that I would be attracted to it. It's understandable because it was happening subconsciously. If I had been consciously aware of it, I would have been repulsed (I generally despise arrogance). I believe the halo effect was at the heart of my attraction because looking back arrogance was the main thing that attracted me to them.

Now that I'm consciously aware of that I feel like I don't have to be a prisoner to it anymore.
edit on 31-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Arrogance?

Dude you need to change your outlook as you are heading for a ton of pain.

Whatever initial response anyone has to a particular person or setting they must do a reality check soon after just to make sure they are not making a costly mistake.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I can get behind arrogance having an appeal, as a woman I find a certain level of arrogance attractive too, but there's a tipping point.

Trying to quantify the tipping point is hard, I imagine arrogance as a form of assertion is ok, using it to stand up for oneself, used for positive outcomes arrogance can be an asset.

Not sure I am attracted to it because I find myself lacking in that er...quality, I am capable of being pretty arrogant at times and very impatient, for me its more about seeing someone who is self assured enough, they don't mind ruffling a few feathers if the moment requires it.

The halo effect probably accounts for why in employment depending upon what qualities are valued by a particular employer, depends upon whether "your face fits".

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiger5
Arrogance?

Whatever initial response anyone has to a particular person or setting they must do a reality check soon after just to make sure they are not making a costly mistake.

Then again you ignore instinct at your peril, there have been so many times when instinctively I have had the measure of someone, given the benefit of the doubt, only to be stung.

Now I'm just a cynical old hag, although at least I am not surprised by much.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon

originally posted by: Tiger5
Arrogance?

Then again you ignore instinct at your peril, there have been so many times when instinctively I have had the measure of someone, given the benefit of the doubt, only to be stung.

Now I'm just a cynical old hag, although at least I am not surprised by much.

You sound like my grandmother. Rough around the edges, but caring.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Throughout the past decades men and women have mistaken women's assertiveness in getting what they want/deserve as arrogance. Definition and bias is everything in incorrect judgements and realizing this can set you free.
edit on 01CST10America/Chicago021101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I really liked the article and learning about the "Halo" effect!

Now for your attraction issue. I also was attracted to arrogance until I learned what the real attraction was...

Just like you I am often repulsed by arrogance, but I am extremely attracted to confidence and it is extremely easy to misidentify or confuse them. Most people are drawn to confidence (healthy people at least). I kept falling into dating arrogant women mostly because of my own self-confidence.

When I became more confident in myself I started to truly recognize the difference between a strong, independent and confident women vs. a narcissistic, self-serving, arrogant immature girl...

top topics

join