It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What exactly is fake news?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Syphon

originally posted by: D8Tee
a reply to: djz3ro

Put enough bias into a story and I consider it fake news. Journalism should answer the Who, What, Why, When and How. If these are not in the story, why are they leaving them out?
I'd call the BBC story on fake news fake news itself, in no way to I see the mainstream media innocent in perpetrating this crime.

I'll use this for an example, it's headline is misleading and they knew it when they put it up.
They claim issues are 'unclear', well they should have cleared it up before publishing, I'm sure they knew exactly what the judges order meant, it wasn't hard to figure out. Misleading and biased article... fake news...suits their agenda....

Federal court halts Trump’s immigration ban

The Verge

It's not fake just because the reader fails to discern between fact and opinion. It's not the changing face of MSN, it's been biased and opinionated from the get go. What most are calling fake news is really just differing opinions and opposing points of view.

Federal Court halts Trump's immigration ban.
That's not a bloody opinion, it's a statement, and it's patently false fake bull# news that is all there is too it.
You tell me how that line is an opinion?
If you have a fact, and you take the opposing point of view of that fact, it becomes a lie.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

I believe the established term is alternative fact. Can you link the article you are referring to? I don't have any facts, conventional or alternative, so I can't say one way or the other.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Syphon

I believe the established term is alternative fact. Can you link the article you are referring to? I don't have any facts, conventional or alternative, so I can't say one way or the other.
Federal court halts Trump’s immigration ban

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Information is all it is. All of it. Fact or fiction, all information. I this brand spanking new world of rapid access information where we flip our hand held and connect to some cyberweb of curiousity has opened us all up to momentous questions of existential proportions. Fact and fiction and is there anything between, know what I mean?

For hundreds of thousands of years, we grouped in small tribal groups and the level of information was regulated by the immediate surroundings of the tribes. Cut forward to a hundred years ago and people were still reading at night by candle and lamp. Cut to forty years ago and people could have basically one wall mounted telephone in their homes.

Sixty years ago some people had one small tv in their homes. Black and white. Three stations and test pattersn all night long. Information flooded from it and it's older step brother radio, it's been around for about a hundred.
So we cruise along for hundreds of thousands of years, everybody having access to limited amounts of information, living out their lives with others who have the same access to the same information .

Our entire history mentally speaking is being turned up side down in a matter of a few generations and a wave of entropy is crashing towards us and we are squabbling over half of us can't tell fact from fiction and the other half fiction from fact. its a madhouse.

We need to realize that the rapid advances in our information and communication technologies have taken us all to a world spanning craps game and the dice have been rolled.

Great post

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Thank you.

Federal Court halts Trump's immigration ban. That's not a bloody opinion, it's a statement, and it's patently false fake bull# news that is all there is too it.

Actually it was neither. It was a headline. An intentionally misleading and inaccurate sensational headline? Absolutely. But the actual article appears to be accurate. It discusses the complaint that landed the case in court, describes the actual ruling and points out that it doesn't actually halt the immigration ban order but prohibits the deportation of immigrants who have been denied entry under the ban. The body of the article doesn't fit with the headline, I agree. If someone only read the headline and took it at face value, then yes, they were misled. But nobody should be forming opinions and taking positions based on headlines alone. That puts them at risk of becoming one of those low information voters politicians seem to love.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Syphon

I agree with your analysis.
Too many people thinking they are informed by reading simple headlines.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
A current example of "FAKE NEWS" (aka LIES) from the worst offender... CNN.

The network says that Trump nominee for Education Secretary, Betsy DeVos, is a PLAGARIST, because of these words...

"Every child deserves to attend school in a safe, supportive environment where they can learn, thrive, and grow," DeVos writes."

Someone in the Obama administration said similar.. so that makes her a BAD Nominee..according to the anti-American screwballs who run CNN. To find something small like this, CNN must have a team of people looking for "dirt" on President Trump.

Full Article: www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Beyond ridiculous.

They trademarked the sentence?
Now we must play word exchange for such simple concepts?
If a Dem says something, it must never be repeated?
Good morning... DON"T PLAGERIZE SOMEONE ELSE SAID THAT

"Every child deserves to attend school in a safe, supportive environment where they can learn, thrive, and grow,"
edit on 31-1-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'd say that a good example is the MSM calling a halt in immigration from seven specific countries, each in various states of either chaos or open hostility towards the US, a Muslim Ban is an excellent example of a fake news narrative, and how media and the Left try to manipulate a populace by controlling the verbiage used. I notice the use of that term is endemic from the CTRL+Left and their lapdog MSM. Wake me up when he includes the 40 or so Muslim countries not included, I might care then.

There are plenty of examples of right-wing fake news I see regularly on friend's social media pages, but they are much easier to ignore because they aren't living off the respect the institution earned in the past for perceived legitimacy.

I truly enjoy real news reporting, unfortunately there is so little of it accessible today, that I find well done fake stuff more entertaining and enlightening than the ninety percent opinion that passes for news currently.

Propaganda, BS, opportunism, and profit have always been in any media at some level or another. They always will too.It's been decades since in trusted any source enough to rely solely on it for information. With a little bit of common sense and enough intellectual curiosity to seek sources from all types of political persuasions one can form an opinion consistent to their own values.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Being critical of trump is fine. Why do you think that gives you and your media a pass to blatantly lie?

Just a cotton pickin' moment there, Sparky, did I just hear you slander me?!
You aren't Trump, and I am not an ignorant hapless citizen who dares to criticise!
You hear something that disturbs you, and you immediately attack with the Trumpian 'false news' defense!
You make my point!
'I'm' a liar?

'MY' media?
Before I grace the absurdity of your 'my media' with a response (and, no, I won't waste Our time), I think that we need a discussion where you present your evidence in support of your rather presumptuous claim that I am a 'liar'.
You must have something big!
Go ahead...
You have a free shot! I won't even duck..
(I don't need to defend, because even if someone is a 'liar', that doesn't prove, logically, that his words are untrue!
Either way you go, you'll lose the argument. An ah-hom fallacy is no logical defense!)

(Or would you rather simply retract? *__- )

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   

I remember Democrats and CNN calling Melania Trump all sorts of disparaging names, because during her address to the GOP convention, she duplicated some words that Michelle Obama used in one of her speeches. They have no honor or decency.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The plagiarisms are intentional. This incoming administration is about appearance versus reality. They want the body politic arguing over foolish things so that we don't pay attention to the substance of the changes. Congress needs to wake up, or the Executive Branch and the Judicial Branch will be the sole law makers.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Fake news is the new name of its old counterpart "conspiracy theories". The EU invented the term, because as soon as they said "conspiracy theories", everybody would believe the conspiracy theory and distrust the EU.

So they changed the name, simply because the old one wouldn't work any longer!

"Degrade, Destabilize, Deceive, Distract" EU intelligence's motto.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join