It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to buy 16 new Airbus search-and-rescue planes for $2.3 billion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I knew about the Coast Guard, but I thought they only took delivery of (4) aircraft. I knew the USFS was interested in some for fire fighting, but I didn't think they'd actually taken delivery of any.

In any case, I went and looked it up briefly and it looks like you are correct. I was just going off some old memory.

Well, at least they got put to good use.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It was way too good an opportunity for them to pass up. They got brand new aircraft for nothing. And they're apparently working out very well for them.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It's still a bad deal in the end. Canada is paying for the infrastructure for a foreign company.

It's not that the hangars + aircraft plants will be dedicated to the Canadian Government but also be used as a staging area for more sales on the North and South American Market.

There is nothing wrong if Canada is fine with it. I find it curious.

One got a sweet deal and that's Airbus.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: flyandi

You should look more into it if you think Canada isn't getting a huge benefit. If Airbus uses it for heavy maintenance on other aircraft, most of the workers will be from the area, they'll be paying obscene rent for the space, landing and parking fees for the aircraft there for maintenance, etc. The deal benefits both sides.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I always thought the military would be service their own equipment.
Is there a reason why they don't?
Seems strange to rely upon foreign companies to service your military units.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Depot level work is frequently done by civilian contractors. The Depot at Tinker, which does heavy maintenance on everything from KC-135s to B-52s has mostly civilian workers with military oversight. That includes Boeing workers.

Boeing in Seattle routinely does upgrades to NATO E-3s, as well as working with companies in Europe to do work there.

It's quite common to have civilian workers, so that you don't need a few hundred, or even thousand more military personnel or jobs to fill.

It's also common to see tech reps with units, especially with a new type.
edit on 1/31/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

In your opinion then, the cradle to grave price is not highway robbery.
Good to know, thank you for your input.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

They probably could have gotten a slightly better deal, but not much for what they're getting.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join