It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamas Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act Faq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
While this wasn't an outright ban, it does indicate there was cause for concern with people coming into the country. Why not stop immigration, look at the entire system? Seems a proactive approach to ensure National Security?

Vis a Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act Frequently Asked Questions

What are the new eligibility requirements for VWP travel?

Under the Act, travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States under the VWP:

Nationals of VWP countries who have been present in Iraq, Syria, or countries listed under specified designation lists (currently including Iran and Sudan) at any time on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited government/military exceptions).
Nationals of VWP countries who have been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, at any time on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited government/military exceptions).
These restrictions do not apply to VWP travelers whose presence in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, or Yemen was to perform military service in the armed forces of a program country, or in order to carry out official duties as a full-time employee of the government of a program country. We recommend those who have traveled to the seven countries listed above for military/official purposes bring with them appropriate documentation when traveling through a U.S. port of entry.

The vast majority of VWP-eligible travelers will not be affected by the new Act. New countries may be added to this list at the discretion of the Secretary of Homeland Security.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It will be really cool if Trump puts a halt on the H1-B visas. It just lower's wages for IT workers.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

" Why not stop immigration, look at the entire system? Seems a proactive approach to ensure National Security? "

Because that makes to Much Sense . Most MSM Brainwashed Liberals have Lost the Ability to Think for Themselves , so they just Parrot what they Hear while Viewing Fake News .

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
It will be really cool if Trump puts a halt on the H1-B visas. It just lower's wages for IT workers.

You do realize that if you halt the H1-B visas, then the companies will simply hire the foreigner at home, don't you?

They don't have to come to America to get the job. The job simply moves to India, or where ever, to meet the supply there.

Wages will still go lower, because the world economy is really global.

If each country would put up barriers, and the UN pass a law that abolishes all trade, so that every nation must produce and consume its own product, then each nation could set the prices for goods, services, and labor, to whatever that nation wants.

That's basically how it was very long ago, before "transportation" started to become so cheap that everybody could move about.

Stop all travel of people and goods, and you'll get back the wage desired.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

You do realize that if you halt the H1-B visas, then the companies will simply hire the foreigner at home, don't you?

They don't have to come to America to get the job. The job simply moves to India, or where ever, to meet the supply there.

Wages will still go lower, because the world economy is really global.

If each country would put up barriers, and the UN pass a law that abolishes all trade, so that every nation must produce and consume its own product, then each nation could set the prices for goods, services, and labor, to whatever that nation wants.

That's basically how it was very long ago, before "transportation" started to become so cheap that everybody could move about.

Stop all travel of people and goods, and you'll get back the wage desired.

I've worked in IT for about half my life now.
Granted, I'm up in the sticks where you don't see many highly educated foreigners, but I've got dune things to add.

Yes, introducing trained professionals with the same credentials and know how as you will decrease the average pay for your available jobs.

You cannot outsource internal IT, however- out consulting. Showing up to fix the problem with short notice is the backbone of IT consulting. Find a small IT company to work for, or get a job supporting the internal network of a medium sized business.

Most importantly, be good at it. I have to call vendor support at least weekly, and every time I speak to someone from out of country that isn't much better at managing the product they support than I am. Every week, I also speak to local internal IT guys at banks and hospitals. Vendor support out of country asshats are never as well versed as the locals- and probably get paid 10% as much. They'll gladly come here and double their income by diluting the pool of bad IT guys....

...But if you're any good at all, there's no limit to moving up. At my last job in high end IT consulting, we couldn't find good help. Two years of interviews and we wound up hiring someone who didn't understand DNS.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Isn't there like not enough IT workers without them?

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The 'cause for concern' was that the bill was attached as a rider to the omnibus spending bill and opposed by President Obama. The spending bill was the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016.

Characterizing this as President Obama's bill is a mistake, as evidenced here:

Top White House officials are struggling to convince on-the-fence House Democrats to oppose a Republican plans to halt the flow of Syrian refugees to the United States

Also here where a chunk of Democrats defected, after it passed:

Forty-seven Democrats defied President Obama’s veto threat and backed the bill — enough to override a presidential veto given the six Democrats and two Republicans who missed the vote.

As you say, it wasn't a ban, but a lifting of the waiver for the countries that made the list. The waiver allowed entry without a visa; lifting the waiver forced the obtaining of a visa for travel.

President Trump's order just bans it.

By the way - who do you suppose has the actual power to do this?
Article I, section 8:

The Congress shall have Power...
To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian Tribes;

This is the basis cited for the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act.

From what does President Trump derive the power to implement this ban?
Well, he thought it was this.

Well, sort of... President Harry S. Truman vetoed the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, but it turns out Congress overrode his veto. If Congress decides to act, they can undo this.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

If Congress decides to act, they can undo this.

Thank you for the response, it was informative.
As far as Congress, how would they go about acting on this, and would there be a guess as to a time frame?

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee
I doubt Congress will move to change things, really.

I'm just saying that they could; the simple way is to pass legislation changing the existing law.

new topics

top topics

join