It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House to Dissenting U.S. Diplomats: ‘Get With the Program’ or Leave

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

The White House on Monday warned State Department officials that they should leave their jobs if they did not agree with President Trump’s agenda, an extraordinary effort to stamp out a wave of internal dissent against Mr. Trump’s temporary ban on entry visas for people from seven predominantly Muslim countries.

Career officials at the State Department are circulating a so-called dissent cable, which says that Mr. Trump’s executive order closing the nation’s doors to more than 200 million people to weed out a handful of would-be terrorists would not make the nation safer and might instead deepen the threat.

White House to Dissenting U.S. Diplomats: ‘Get With the Program’ or Leave

The Trump administration is becoming an echo chamber. I suggested it may have been happening in the following thread, but now I have no doubt that it's happening.

Trump puts Bannon on security council, dropping joint chiefs

Echo chambers are dangerous because they become myopic and insulated. Dissent and opposing viewpoints are essential to making optimal choices.

Some may argue that all presidential administrations stamp out dissent to varying degrees, but what's described above is truly "an extraordinary effort to stamp out a wave of internal dissent." If you don't find that to be at least a little troubling, I believe you're too biased.

I expect Trump supporters to applaud this decision, and I think that's downright scary.
edit on 30-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I mean what would you do if they all refused to comply by the orders given to them from the very top. Someone has to be held accountable somewhere. For me it makes perfect sense, if you don't want to perform your job and follow the orders and guidance given to you by the white house then its time for you to leave or get kicked out.

It's not the fact people are complaining about the job but outright refusal to comply.

If trump was going above and beyond that scope as in being abusively threatening then yes that would be wrong.
edit on 30-1-2017 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The Mango Mussolini and his gaggle of psycho sycophants needs to leave! No Despots are allowed in America!

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CHONGO

Oh, get a grip. Obama pretty much said the same thing to Republicans when he took office and that was just fine. I know you lot are not use to a President who actually has a pair, but try to not to let the butthurt get you down.
Follow the rules and do your job. If they can't do that, go find another one..

+4 more 
link   

Ummm...actually I want the Trump administration to # can every one of them...

Drain the "Foggy bottom" swamp of all the progs...

Then I want them to do the same with every other agency and department in the entire government...

Pare them all down to the nub...Get rid of the quadruple redundancy...cast them out into the real world...

They've been way too comfortable...way too long...

YouSir
edit on 30-1-2017 by YouSir because: The ai is one dedicated #...

link   

From your post

Mr. Trump’s executive order closing the nation’s doors to more than 200 million
200 million is a lot of people but does this number really represent the narrative accurately ? I don't think it does .

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Echo chambers are dangerous because they become myopic and insulated. Dissent and opposing viewpoints are essential to making optimal choices

Were they dangerous when the last guy filled every position with people that agreed with him?

Wasn't just STATE, right down the list.

From the EPA pushed the climate crap to the DOJ selectively dishing out justice. To the BATFE making their own rules.

Back to the STATE department giving chevy volts instead of more security in embassies in places that they just bombed the hell out of.

Get with the program or leave.

Those people should be leaving.

edit on 30-1-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Descend descend, take a hike, kick rocks, bye. The fewer the better.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Sounds like some dumbbells inside the SD need education on existing laws and regulations.

They will be outed and removed soon enough.

edit on Jan-30-2017 by xuenchen because: basketsofdeportables

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: CHONGO

Oh, get a grip. Obama pretty much said the same thing to Republicans when he took office and that was just fine. I know you lot are not use to a President who actually has a pair, but try to not to let the butthurt get you down.
Follow the rules and do your job. If they can't do that, go find another one..

But Obama wasn't NUTS! "Butthurt" why the sodomy reference. Sorry, I do not partake, however should you or anyone else get into that action, its your affair and I support your right.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
They can dissent on their own time while standing in the unemployment line.

it`s not unreasonable to expect diplomats to support the policies of their country,if they are unable or unwilling to do that then perhaps they are in the wrong profession.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I think a distinction needs to be made on this issue.
It is probably the duty of these diplomats to express their views on policy matters within the department. They are there to give advice.
But when they make it public knowledge that they are expressing dissenting views, that's when they're making war on their own government.
Writing dissenting memo = doing their job.
Telling the world they are writing a dissenting memo= dereliction of duty.

P.S.I think he could probably get them on "leaking government information", because policy debates within governments, and especially foreign policy debates, really need to be private.

edit on 30-1-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CHONGO
The Mango Mussolini and his gaggle of psycho sycophants needs to leave! No Despots are allowed in America!

If only, this is the real effect. Apparently!!

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Not surprised, i guessed earlier ; www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Trump and CO would like it everyone who didn't agree with their agenda just left! Or, shut up! Unfortunately for them, most of their employees are civil service, and they can't just fire them.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
If they're truly concerned about the Trump administration becoming an echo chamber, if they're concerned about the detrimental affects this will have on the nation, then it seems to me that their first priority would be to avoid doing things that disqualify them from fulfilling an advisory role. And that would be true of more than just the diplomatic career corps.

For those of you who don't know, sandbagging policy implementation, work slow downs, public rabble rousing and the like, will generally disqualify the perpetrator from a seat at the table, and rightfully so.

Neither Trump, nor any other president, can permit a 5th column within the diplomatic corps.

edit on 30-1-2017 by imwilliam because: the usual, spellin

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Lions and tigers and bears. Oh my !!!!

Do I see the sprouts of the John Foster Dulles school of Statesmanship forming ???
We say what we mean and we mean what we say.

Oh and one more thing .............

Buck

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Kudos to President "keep his word" Trump.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Your diplos are there to explain the 'thoughts and ideas' of your gvmnt
They serve as a 'conduit', they smooth things over, they calm tensions

If your diplos are busy compiling a refut to the the pres, it could be ...

Self preservation for local press (to avoid being sent home in a tit for tat retaliation move)
More seriously : the diplo corps disavowing the pres and his tenets

Whicherver way, it's not good for us diplo. relations

Mistrust will ensue

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Trump and CO would like it everyone who didn't agree with their agenda just left! Or, shut up! Unfortunately for them, most of their employees are civil service,and they can't just fire them.

Yes, I understand firing a civil leech is cumbersome and takes a lot of time. But I suspect transfers aren't that difficult. So transfer those that won't execute their duties to places like Somalia, Syria and other third world toilets. I think that will get the point across.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join