It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US travel ban: Diplomats 'preparing dissent memo'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
i've not seen this one on here, it's interesting to see that career diplomats are speaking out.
It remains to be seen how long they will remain in post.

I'll quote one chunk for the striking mention re Saudi

A "dissent cable" has been drafted for senior State Department officials, ABC News and the Associated Press say. Draft text seen by the BBC says that the ban on nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries will not make the US safer and is un-American. President Trump issued the new restrictions on Friday. His executive order halted the entire US refugee programme for 120 days, indefinitely banned Syrian refugees and suspended all nationals from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. The list does not include Saudi Arabia, where most of the hijackers in the 9/11 attacks came from.

And this para here, only because i didn't know that since the 60's, correct channels are in place for giving voice to concern within the diplomatic core :

The cable, signed by dozens of diplomats, is expected to be formally sent later on Monday through what is called the "dissent channel", the Associated Press reports, quoting anonymous US officials. According to ABC News, the dissent channel was created during the Vietnam War to allow diplomats in the field to convey concerns to senior State Department officials in Washington. Last year more than 50 diplomats used the channel to express concern over US policy in Syria to the Obama administration, the New York Times reports.

US travel ban: Diplomats 'preparing dissent memo'

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Damiel

" Draft text seen by the BBC says that the ban on nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries will not make the US safer and is un-American "

How Exactly can these Diplomats make a Statement like that without it being Interpeted as nothing more than a Personal Opinion , and Not based on Presented Factual Information Proving their Assertions to be True ?

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Simple...it's all opinion!

This is just more sides yelling at each other....

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit
I take it as being a formal distancing from Trump policies and probably for local consumtion in countries where the 'dissenters' are based.

I can easily see Trump brushing it all aside though, with, "the US has a new policy, either get on board or get out"

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Humm, I didn't know that foreign diplomats runs American policies when it comes to national Security.

Interesting.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

They are not going to get out, remember they have exclusive mansions in the US with real freedoms within their embassies borders.

Hell I am sure many never had that kind of luxuries before the came to the US.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

" will not make the US safer and is un-American "

Also , Since When are Foreign Diplomats Experts on what can be Deemed as Un-american ? Hmm...

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Don't you love when foreigners guess in the US think that they have more voice on Americas issue than the American born citizens and voters.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't think that diplomats make policy, more that they move behind the scenes to explain US policy and to calm the nerves of their host country.

I suspect, and can easily imagine that the signatories are probably having to brush away demands for explications from local state ministers.

By preparing a dissent memo, it could be a means of reducing the heat for them and diffusing potential demands for expulsion.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Thanks Damiel that was a very nice interpretation of the memo, it makes sense now.

I appreciated that.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Trump's EO is in full effect as of this minute.

All "in transit" issues have been resolved.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Foreign Diplomats are not affected by the EO.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
You're right, but ... you need people on your side, pushing your message and working for your country.

If not, then, they're not representing the countries interest and are simply undermining it.

In which case, the commander in chief could strip them of their role and find more 'suitable' candidates, willing to toe foreign policy ideals.

**** Sorry Marg, it was a reply to Zanti !*****
edit on 30/1/17 by Damiel because: Reply to wrong person

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I agree, I can only imagine the mess going on, right now, in the countries that has been banned, but truly is only one more country in the list, Syria.

Is interesting that from almost a quarter million migrants on different visas and green cards, that enters the US a year, the affected countries are just a minimal number in comparison.

A new report shows a significant rise in Muslim immigration to the US. The Pew Forum has analyzed the results and found that over the past 20 years, around one million immigrants have been granted permanent residency status every year. Sometimes they are able to obtain this status because they are family members of other residents, while other times they get work visas, are refugees and asylum seekers, or they have won a visa lottery. But as the report shows, where they are coming from is changing. Whereas before, there were more arriving from Europe and other parts of North America as well as South America, now those numbers are decreasing while those from Asia, Africa and the Middle East are increasing

www.frontpagemag.com...

Federal Data: U.S. Annually Admits Quarter Of A Million Muslim Migrants

State Department and Homeland Security data reveals that the United States already admits more than a quarter of a million Muslim migrants each year

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
All these people feeling outraged on somebody else's behalf, is laughable.

But then there is a famous verse that starts with, first they came after the Mason's, but I was not a Mason, so I looked the other way (I'm not really sure if it starts with the Mason's, but you get my drift).

But then those Mason's weren't beheading innocents and filming it, spewing their putrid hatred on the western world, for all the ills it brought to their lands.

Then you realise it's divide and rule. Then you see it's only make believe.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think that since our 'beano' in the middle east, people fleeing have undoubtedly grown exponentially, very likely through pourous borders with official papers that have been 'lost' on the way.

'Lost' for various reasons: could be that a member of your familly is wanted (with good reason or not), could be that your native country is deemed at risk, could be that youd have more sympathy if you come from 'X' country rather than 'Y' country, depending on the days news headlines...or ..whatever.

The crux is, that we, the west, have created a massive warzone and people are running harum-scarum for their lives.
Wouldn't anybody ?

But how do we differentiate between your 'good' war refugee and someone else 'trying it on' just to see new horizons ?

*Okaaay, It's all a bit off topic, but there is some sense in there !*

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I agree, but what I want to show is that detaining only a few people since Trump EO to what is been propagandized is big flag of how the media had played with the existing ban.

Muslims has no been banned to enter the US, the diplomats that should be complaining are those that are from the added country of Syria, if we still have a diplomat, as Syria right now doesn't even have a stable country.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I want to show is that detaining only a few people since Trump EO to what is been propagandized

And that, to me is exactly why people are up in arms (for want of a better expression)
It's very easy to target a few bad apples, but there will always be 'a few' that slip through.

The EO is perceived as a blanket ban on all muslim countries.
We know it's not so, but it's much easier to frame the debate (in the msm) with generalisations

These generalisations will then propagate ad infinitum, building more mistrust, more incomprehension, more division.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I think we should ban all soap operas from TV. All the shows that rile up the critics too, like the MSM news.

It is getting bad all over the world, a guy gets elected and tries to fix things right the best he knows how to and all the people who care nothing of the future stability of our economy and safety of our citizens slam him.

At least he is trying, Hillary would not have fixed anything and the toilet would have soon overflowed.Trump needs input from level headed people to make everything work right. No we were not going in the right direction under Obama. Not under Bush either. And not under Bill Clinton and his wife. The stability of our economy has been declining for years, Our biggest selling technology is made in other countries. Our appliances and car parts are made elsewhere. A stable economy needs to have enough factories to make what we need. What would happen if China said, you can't have anything to sell anymore. Almost Everyone would be out of work for over a year.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
These are all Obama appointed diplomats right? so it`s not a surprise that they would be disloyal to the new president and their country.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join