It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gothic Country Music- Dark, folky, a really great sound.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Such an odd combo that... somehow works.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov
One more from me too.
Dax Riggs

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Hey thanks for adding the great music
Really enjoyed that Dock Boggs. I loove that old original sound. Have you heard of Blind Willie Johnson? He's another old original blues man. Check out his song Dark Was the Night Cold Was the Ground if you haven't heard it yet!
edit on 31-1-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Just listened to it, great track. I love Alan Lomax/Harry Smith field recordings, something about that old low fidelity seems to work as the proper medium for the music.

One more

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Really like it. It all kind of reminds me of Wall of Voodoo, back in the day.
edit on 1/31/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I'm glad you liked it! They (Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots) were dynamic live--those vids do no justice. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

edit on 31-1-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Hey great song. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

I do agree that Cash was one of the poineers in the dark country realm, definitely. Was thinking about Cash re: your post which made me remember this incredible version of the song- first recorded version, I believe.

Burt Ives Ghost Riders in the Sky

So good it could give you chills

I'd say that Tom Waits also has this general vibe, among many others I'm sure. But I also think there's a kind of distinct Denver sound in the "country goth" (how I first heard my friend refer to it) that I posted
Or maybe I'm just a little biased in favor of the local artists.
(NOT the sculptors. Terrible sculptures locally, in the great awful cresendo of the demonic blue horse at DIA (shudder).)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Good olde 16hp. Those guys been around for ages. His voice wigged me out when I first heard him. It grew on me quickly. I had the pleasure of seeing them live at the New Orleans Blues Festival back in the late 90s.

I have to add.. For some reason, House of 1000 Corpses comes to mind as I listen to some of these bands. lol

edit on 1-2-2017 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

I have to add.. For some reason, House of 1000 Corpses comes to mind as I listen to some of these bands. lol

That's so funny. I can totally see it..
Munly resembles an animated corpse--almost as if he were made to create dark music about the side freaks of America

I'll bet that festival in NO was incredible.
edit on 1-2-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

originally posted by: StallionDuck

That's so funny. I can totally see it..
Munly resembles an animated corpse--almost as if he were made to create dark music about the side freaks of America

I'll bet that festival in NO was incredible.

It was much fun!

You know... Now that I'm thinking about all of this, I want to say it took place in 2006 give or take a year. Though, I can't remember for the life of me if it was New Orleans Jazz Fest or New Orleans Blues Fest. I remember being under a mind altering influence at the time so could be why I can't remember which year it was! lol

I do remember the Iguanas playing before them. Who played before that and after 16hp, I can't remember. I'm going to have to get with an old buddy of mine to help me rebuild some of those memories for that day.

I do remember vividly David Eugene Edwards playing this small guitar. I don't believe it was a Ukulele or a Mandolin but it was something similar, then later his banjo... I remember him strumming so fast while singing and I kept thinking that this guy is either high A.F. on speed or he's got a serious case turrets or something like that. He was really getting down on that thing so fast! I was in front getting sprayed by the fountain of sweat being flung off him with every swift stroke....

Then the voice and the words. I felt I was at some kind of Salem Witch trial among the Puritans. Totally made my night. That was one 'trip' I'll never forget. It was very spiritual in a Willy Wonka and the Mad Musical sorta way.

Anyways... If you can catch him, even though 16HP is no more... for now, it's an experience. I believe he still tours under Woven Hand.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I've been to a festival or two (I think lol) so I understand the fuzziness

Man I would love to see him. Thanks for the info!

Interesting description of the atmosphere btw. Salem witch trial among the Puritans.. so creative! I can see it for sure.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ha, that was funny! Thanks for posting more good music!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
How the hell did you not mention 16 Horsepower or Wovenhand? The two best gothic country bands from Denver?
:0

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

lol, well 16h is in OP, just scroll down!

And a vigilant member mentioned Wovenhand as David Eugene Edwards current project.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Great thread!!! I've been into this style of music for a long time now. I'm excited to dig into some of these bands I haven't heard of. Hank III, pine box boys have always been my go-tos.

Anyone every heard of "Those Poor Bastards"? They are my favorite. This particular album is my personal favorite too, though the others are good. Deep, depressing and moody. It helped me get through a lot of dark times as a teenager, via relatablity and self wallowing
Sorry, don't know how to embed YouTube videos on my phone.

Sick and Alone
edit on 2-2-2017 by Ilovemygreatdanes because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2017 by Ilovemygreatdanes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ilovemygreatdanes

Hey, that's a great song

Thanks for sharing!

Here's the embed:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Awesome! Thank you!!!

Glad that you like it, I recommend giving their other songs a chance too ^_^;

top topics