It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A petition to stop Trump's visit to the UK has reached 1 millions signatures

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Ooh tricky one, I think if Trident is a deal maker with Trump/US support then I'd probably support it until we can establish ourselves as an independent nation again.
I agree we don't need it militarily but I'm looking at things from a more holistic political slant.
Interesting thoughts, probably worthy of a thread of its own.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Might be nice through not to be a prime target for nuclear annihilation if only for a little while.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Ah we're all screwed if the nukes start flying.
I'm guessing you lived through the cold war same as me, mutual assured destruction was a sensible mantra, I don't see it ever happening.

...almost similar to living through IRA bombing times, our generation don't wet our pants about Islamic extremism either lol.
If Trident seals a deal with the US then I'm drawn towards running with it, and enjoying the engineering jobs it will create.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
...almost similar to living through IRA bombing times, our generation don't wet our pants about Islamic extremism either lol.

You know you're getting old when you consider the worst thing about terrorism is having all the bins taken out of railway stations.

That made me so annoyed

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Pretty much a child of the 80s, grew up reading tales like "When The Wind Blows" in school and watching shows like "Threads" and "The Day After".

If the nukes fly we are all screwed but lets face it that's why they will never be used in any significant number, if at all.

They simply don't do what they say on the tin.
edit on 1-2-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Haha I remember when litter bins got removed from train stations, # me I'm old!
...still only clear transparent plastic bags in my region though...I guess just in case of those pesky Muslims lol

*edit*
For the record I don't think pesky Muslims, just taking the piss out of those who do.
edit on 1.2.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Hahaha I watched all three at school!
Were they trying to terrify us or something!!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Think i was about 10 when "Threads" came out, that was dam well terrifying! Had nightmares about that for years as a kid. LoL

Certainly brought home the the inevitable stupidity of the M.A.D mentality displayed by the superpowers of the time, if not the horrific situation that would go hand in hand with nuclear war in/on the UK.
edit on 1-2-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Threads was dark and brutal as #, I watched it a few months ago on youtube and it disturbed me a bit again.
The traffic warden with a gun, the child giving birth, dark as #.
We will never have nuclear war in my opinion, only a nutter would want that.

...on a side note, British films may lack the budget but excell in gritty painful narrative every time.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I don't see any kind of full blown nuclear conflict being on the cards ether.

I can certainly see there tactical battlefield variety being used at some future point in history all the same or by some lunatic terrorist organisation, government sponsored or otherwise.

Think ile go re watch "Thread" again.

Ive got a 10 year old myself now that loves to ask awkward questions about war, wonder if i should do what my own father did and sit her down to watch?

Probably not. LoL

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I haven't watched Threads with my son, may do it this week, he's 19 so good education about how we grew up...but 10 no!
It is probably the darkest film I can think of from 80's Britain.
I'd recommend it to any ATS members reading this...It is disturbing though.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This thread is now just Brits talking about stuff like crumpets, the Queen, and when the proper time to serve tea is.

Side note: i need to look up this "Thread" show. I love dark, dank, and gritty.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Lol yes, definitely watch 'Threads' if you have a spare hour though, I think the BBC made it, it is dark as # and disturbing....80's kids in Britain watched it at school, probably why I don't believe nuclear war will ever happen!
edit on 1.2.2017 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
...and back on topic I think Trump was a better option for the western world staying away from foreign conflicts which could potentially lead us toward world war.
Clinton could have been a train wreck and Trump seems to be the least worst option when I consider how the UK lapdogs the US.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

If the US ends up in a war while Trump is in office, it'll be 2 scenarios:

-- the world is all in, and we are choosing a side. In this case, the prior tactic is smart: wait till everyone is spent/exhausted, then swoop in for the victory and your "share" of the spoils. That'll make America great again.

-- we go to war over trade, shipping lanes, etc, etc.

Trump doesn't seem intereted in promoting CFR agenda. I hope that doesn't change.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

We will never have nuclear war in my opinion, only a nutter would want that..

Uhhh yeah exactly. Maybe you havent been following current events but its pretty much all nutters across the board now.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Pretty much a child of the 80s, grew up reading tales like "When The Wind Blows" in school and watching shows like "Threads" and "The Day After".

That was fun as a child.

Mother: Oh, look, it's another one of those funny little cartoons from the man who made The Snowman! It must be a sequel or something, how delightful!

*brings home copy of "When the Wind Blows", prepares a mug of cocoa for her beloved son*

*starts to watch*

Me: Huh. Hmm. Hey... what the...? did they just...?!? What the hell are you making me watch, woman?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Considering that most of Europe hates Britain because of Brexit,it's so typically high horse British to judge ANYONE.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

His most fervent followers really don't seem to understand how international relations work and truly seem to think that the US economy exists in a vacuum. Do they truly think we dont require allies for anything?

Pissing down your enemies leg is one thing, losing your closest international friends and military allies is completely different thing. The stakes for the US economy and standing in the world are on the table and the guy in charge needs to be able to check his ego at the door for the good of his country when it is required.
edit on 2-2-2017 by Leonidas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Here is a link for "Threads", great show, but rather grim and graphic.

Truth is these days given the capability's of just one of the new Russian ICBMs it would be a hell of a lot worse.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join