It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hospital conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Are hospitals a business? More and more hospitals are becoming for-profit.
www.pioneerinstitute.org...
www.physiciansnews.com...
www.nursingworld.org...

And while many for-profit hospitals aren't efficient as they should be, it's only a matter of time before they become huge cash-cows because 1> everyone gets sick, 2> health isn't a luxury, it's a necessity, and 3> diseases are becoming more chronic. Obviously, since hospitals are reactive (focused on treatment), rather than proactive (focused on prevention), this sets a dangerous trend, wherein the hospitals will want to maximize treatments, including lab tests and medications, such as giving everyone multi-vitamins and stool softeners at 5 bux a pop each.

Obviously this begs further analysis. I myself have seen hospitals being promoted as businesses, with special emphasis on client-relations. It's a very disheartening thing to realize, but I've seen this happening more and more. While many hospitals aren't owned outright by corporations, they are indirectly owned by them. Pharmaceuticals pump doctors with huge amounts of money and frequently get kick-backs when they prescribe a certain number of prescriptions. Corporations, like Baxter that make the machines for hospitals and Hillrom who make many of the beds for hospitals, frequently will give their machines away free or at severely reduced prices and work off service-fees. Once they build up a cozy relationship with the hospital, then they crank up their prices. Then of course, there's Memorial-Hermann that merged several years ago, and there's Tenet....

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
My guess for the reason they goin for profit, is because they need the cash to pay for the malpractice suits (ex. someone gets shot in head=family complains that they didnt do all they could to save person=$$$ for family) This is because of all the paid off judges, and inflation

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This would really suck. I have to go to the hospital a few times a month for various....accidents....and what not.

They're all greedy bastards...

icp

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
i work in several hospitals as a surgical assistant in the operating room.

their are reasons that i can see why some hospitals would go for making a profit.

1. hospital care is extremely expensive, just in general. people think the hospitals are raping them over the costs of healthcare, but what you don't realize is the hospital is being over charged to begin with. a 10" x 14" mesh graft for a hernia repair is aprox. 1,000 dollars hospital cost, an ounce of avitene (an anti-coagulant) is also 1,000 dollars hospital cost. all of the supplies are extremely expensive. and lets not forget about how many people come into a hospital and never pay. a lap cholecystectomy can cost around 20,000 just to have the case done by itself, thats not including the hospital stay or the er visit. it doesn't take too many non-paying patience to rack up a large bill now does it.

2. because the citizens in the united states are so eager to sue everyone, malpractice insurance has went through the roof in most states. so docs have the raise their rates just so they can pay their premiums.

3. insurance companies are really #ty about not paying people for their services, you have to fight with them just to get the money they owe you.

these are just a few reasons for this.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I think doctors have their place, if I need something sewed up like a deep cut then I go to a doctor, and if I'm having my teeth drilled on or some type of operation, then I want pain killer, and I want to be in a real dentist office. Basically, other than some emergency where a doctor is needed, I do not go to the doctor, or the hospital, and I don't use medication. It's been years since I have been to the doctor. I haven't seen the real need to. I take my supplements, eat my enzymes, etc. for maintaining my health. There are doctors that do see the importance of natural health care, and this is a good thing. The natural remedies can be just as effective as drugs and can be much safer, and don't cost an arm and a leg.

My dad for example seems to have been helped by a very large degree from taking the a Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM blend supplement. He had severe heal pain and he was literally hopping around because it hurt so bad. After taking this blend, it is like night and day, I think there definitely could be a connection between how well he is doing and the supplement. That's not to say there isn't some pain and spells of pain. But to see him walk near normal is nice to see. He takes other vitamines, but the type of supplement I mentioned is allready known for its ability to help with joint pain and such.

Troy

top topics

join