It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand crank or solar powered charger

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   
solar energy the original chicken versus egg conundrum; solar panels outputs DC which has to be banked and sent throught a pulse width modifier to do 360 degrees up and down or frequency or hertz which most machinery runs off of. An alternator will go throught the whole 360 degree cycle and it's frequency would only be limited to how many times you can spin the choo choo machine in a second. In basic alternators a 360 rotation of the rotor in the stator equals 1 frequency or hertz; Europe and Asia run off of 50 Hertz and America runs off of 60 Hertz... but due to the nature of AC all you really need is that positive negative motion to make it chooch unlike DC which needs a constant... whereas solar utilizes tooxic materials that will degrade over time, I don't see very many solar panels from the days of the current wars but original Alternators are still going strong, coincidence?

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   
If you live close enough to transmission lines you could experiment with a bank of transformers (most efficient machine ever built by man to date)that will "harvest" magnetic waves and then set up the same kind of set up you would need to convert and store solar energy to be useful. Its super questionable and the power companies will be able to calculate where the magnetic distortion is happening to some degree but some farmer set up a huge transformer up in his barn that was next to a power line and the power company had the diddlyiest time trying to figure out what was going on!!!

link   
Double post
edit on 30-1-2017 by ThinkingMe because: Double post

link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

I was hoping to be able to make one that does not run on electricity and that can run off the heat of the sun alone. I feel that that might be more helpful to people. Right now, most of the helpful, for some even necessary stuff runs on electricity.

a reply to: Vector99

Thanks, I didn't think about the output.
edit on 30-1-2017 by ThinkingMe because: Additional post

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ThinkingMe

There are such things as saline pumps. No electricity needed.

Anything that can be imagined, can be done.

Only the Serious need apply.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   
yeah because no electricity was involved in manufacturing a saline pump... you could set up copper pipes fillled with a medium of your budget in a zigzag and make a basic heat exchange... but even then you would not have enough potential to boil the water to begin collecting the steam and would need electricity to bring it up to a boil and keep it rolling. Only the super serious need apply.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BeneGesseritWitch

Wow, that all sounds incredibly interesting, I was most interested when you spoke about the original alternators are still working well to this day while solar panels has been changed in design and been changed in the insides. I believe that things that work for many years and has not had its design changed is probably a better design than the other way around.

I am not very good with wires and mechanics however which is why I seek to buy them

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   
If you're serious about it check out this chinese website banggood.com "best bang for buck charlie brown" and search for their cheapest pulse width modifiers, A PWM goes in between your battery bank and the device you wish to use operating off of a non car battery output so anything that is not DC 12volts (so you would use the PWM to go from DC 12v to AC 110volts@ 50hertz or some other Mao'ist standard). So solarpanel>Bank of car batterys>PWM> device operating with PWM spexs and then if you're super serious you can throw in a hand crank on a separate PWM to feed into the ca battery bank for when you really need to DEUS VOLT
Do you need some sort of choke on solar panels to stop them from overcharging a car battery?
edit on 30-1-2017 by BeneGesseritWitch because: Can a solar panel safely be connected directly to a car battery for long periods of time?

Also I'm not an american and I think electricity is magical and still has mystery, so the PWM is also the product of the devil and I seriously suggest checking out that website for PWM and following their instructions on how it operates.
edit on 30-1-2017 by BeneGesseritWitch because: PWM

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
If you are serious about power you need to determine how much you need in watts first. More than just to charge a cell phone or radio requires more than a hand crank.

Solar is a viable alternative for large scale production with no moving parts. At my cabin I have a 1000 watt array connected to a charge controller then connected to 4 deep cycle boat battery's. the battery's are the connected to a 750 watt inverter that gives me a 120 volt output. The foot print of the array is about 72 square feet.

Below is a link to one of the better solar providers. Their panel are warranted for 25 years.
Good luck.

www.altestore.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Think of it this way... if there were a nuclear war, the sky would soon be blocked by all the crap sucked up.

I'd go with the crank.

Cheers!
edit on 30-1-2017 by redoubt because: typo correct

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I may be wrong but don't solar panels produce DC that has to be stored in a battery and then use an inverter to convert it to AC? I suspect that hand crank can be had in either AC or DC.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
"praise the sun"

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I set up a stand alone system to keep my fridge and chest freezer going in case of power interruption. It consists of 4 100 watt solar panels that charge 3 batteries. I have giant UB9D deep cycle batteries that weigh over 160 lbs each.

I have 3 inverters connected to them. A 4600/2300 watt , a 1500 watt pure sine, and a 600 watt pure sine. I run all kinds of things off them. A compressor, washing machine, water boiler, deep freezer, slow cooker, bread maker, wheat grinder to name a few.

If the sun doesn't shine for a couple days AI have a small Earthquake 700 watt pure sine wave generator that is a quiet 4 stroke. It will run 13 hours on a gallon of gas. I got it on ebay. I also have a big Honda 3000I It is also pure sine, and has a electric key start. I have 50 gallons of preserve gas on hand that I rotate out once a year. I will never lose power.

I really don't think a hand crank will run a fridge. When a fridge or freezer starts, it takes a lot of power. I use the 2300/4600 for that. My 1500 watt wont start the freezer. After the freezer starts up, it will run on 150 watts.

I hope that was helpful

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

that what i was thinking, solar panels, battery bank and inverters then a standby. i know a guy that took two transfer switches, one auto and one hand and placed them from the house to a battery bank/ inverters and then to his standby. worked out pretty good. he also put a trickle charger on his bank, with a holding relays.

been thinking about doing the same.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Both.. If a disaster or war... With dust and debris blocking the sun... With just solar you'd be screwed.

I have a 9 function emergency weather, light, compass, beacon lt etc..... That can be cranked to full power...

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

That's amazing, I didn't think to think about the wattage, I always think that solar panels are made the same and only size matters. Thank you for the link as well, I may get a supplier that is closer to where I live when I get it however.

a reply to: redoubt

Wow, that was so to the point.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

That was a lot of information. I didn't know that fridges took up a lot of electricity only in the beginning, the generator is also a good idea, I like the idea of the one that runs on vegetable oils.

What you have said was indeed very helpful, because that was a lot about electronics that I didn't know about and you have given me many alternatives to consider. Thank you.

a reply to: mysterioustranger

A hand crank would be good when there is little light to draw electricity from, I think the device you have may be more helpful than a phone, I don't know how a smartphone would work well without the wi-fi or 3G/4G.
edit on 30-1-2017 by ThinkingMe because: Add reply

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Hand cranked, with a little ingenuity it can be converted to hydro power or wind power.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I would divide up my power needs into smaller units, and acquire multiple sources.

For instance, when it comes to lighting.... there's a difference between lighting up a table so you can examine a person's wound, and just having a night-light in a hallway so you can find the bathroom in the middle of the night.

For the second task, you can easily get some of those solar powered light-on-a-stake that people use to mark their sidewalks and garden paths so you don't stumble in the dark. You can buy 6 of them, and build a frame out of PVC to hold them upright. Put it out in the afternoon sun by your back door. After sundown, carry them inside the house. The stake fits very well into the hole in a brick, and they will provide some light until around sunrise the next morning. There. You've solved one illumination need without putting any drain on the new system you'll be developing.
edit on 30/1/2017 by redempsh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Hello,

I wanted the same thing and found this to be very awesome!
The solar panel is very durable, can be mounting to a backpack, car dash, tree or hang anywhere else, it has two usb ports to plug the battery pack into and another device, it will charge in around 4 to 6 hours direct sunlight or can catch brief bursts and will of course take a bit more time.

The battery pack is a two usb port charger, with a mini usb port to charge the battery directly from either the solar panel or the wall outlet where it will take a full 8 to 12 hours to charge via a wall outlet, has a very high capacity charge, cannot charge laptops but will charge any usb powered device with ease.

I have been using my weekly almost as it's just too easy not too use as a great personal powerplant option.
I'd invest in a wind turbine maybe attached to a hand crank for extra charge power if operating in remote areas.

Anker Solar Panel usb power

Excellent Anker 2 USB port battery pack ( with flashlight )

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join