It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Senate Democrat announces legislation to reverse Trump’s immigration executive order

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein (Calif.) announced on Twitter late Sunday that she is preparing to introduce two bills on Monday in response to President Donald Trump’s recent executive order on immigration and refugees.

In a series of three tweets, Feinstein said that Trump should not be able to “unilaterally ban groups of immigrants,” which is why she is preparing to introduce the legislation.

Feinstein said the first bill would rescind Trump’s executive order while the second would limit Trump’s executive authority under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Top Senate Democrat announces legislation to reverse Trump’s immigration executive order

The POTUS attempts to keep his campaign promises in the first week of his administration only to have Congress rise up in the way that's described in the article linked above? Would that be unprecedented in American history?

What would that do to Trump? I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he could end up resigning if his initiatives are all blocked.

I believe something similar happened to Obama.

WHY OBAMA HAS FAILED TO CLOSE GUANTÁNAMO

Does anyone recall Obama signing an executive order to close the Guantánamo military prison just after he took office? After that failed, I believe he never regained his confidence in terms of acting unilaterally.
edit on 29-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
First off it's a republican congress.
(Facepalm)

Secondly you know...Feinstein.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
As much as I want to see Gitmo closed and wanted the EO to stand, the government system did it's job in preventing a solo pseudo-king rule. It doesn't matter who's in office, they don't get to make all the decisions themselves.

Where we utterly fail with this is that when Congress shuts down the EOs, or the POTUS shuts down Congress with EOs or vetos, the issue should be put up for public vote, not continuously kicked around between the two. If they can't make a solid decision together, the responsibility to decide then should fall to the people.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

What a waste of time.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

third trump has to sign it.

edit on 29-1-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Congress will have to admit that this EO is only doing what Obama did in 2011 and that the countries selected are in fact countries that a Democrat picked and the President is only doing what his predecessors and Congress had already allowed.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
(Facepalm)

Thirdly, unless 2/3 of the Senate vote for this bill, Trump can veto it.
The Democrats will need to swing 19 Republican Senators to get 67 votes.
Good luck Dianne.
Someone is going to be embarrassed. Perhaps Trump, but more likely the Democrats. Talk about wasting political capital.

edit on 29/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
so this is how she earns her pay by introducing a bill that doesn`t have a chance of passing?

it`s just a gimmick so she will have something to show her constituents when election time rolls around.
politicians, always putting their re-election hopes ahead of everything else.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Knew I was missing something!

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

In a series of three tweets, Feinstein said that Trump should not be able to “unilaterally ban groups of immigrants,” which is why she is preparing to introduce the legislation.

Funny how on other issues she sang a different tune.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: Caver78

third trump has to sign it.

Only if it's less than 2/3 vote in the Senate. He can't veto a bill with 67/100 votes on the floor.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

(Facepalm)

Lots of republicans receive money from the military industrial complex that supports globalization. It will be telling how they vote.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

And what is she going to do with her bill, open Americas border for the entire world?

She is full of crap no wonder her own state is falling apart due to illegal immigration.

She have no credibility and no stance, neither the votes.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 29-1-2017 by ausername because: already posted

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mike.Ockizard

(Facepalm)

Lots of republicans receive money from the military industrial complex that supports globalization. It will be telling how they vote.

It will indeed be an interesting test. As I said, though, they will need 19 of the 52 Republicans to defect. Given all they are trying to do I can't see it happening.

EDIT : actually it is an even longer shot for the Democrats because 2/3 of the Senate AND the House would need to override a veto. That means the Democrats would have to turn a 194-241 minority into 291 votes. They need to find 97 Republicans in the House to defect.

edit on 29/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
So now the Left's latest scheme to undermine the authority of the government and further divide the country is to waste congress' time by introducing bills they know full well will not be passed.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: Mike.Ockizard

(Facepalm)

It will indeed be an interesting test. As I said, though, they will need 19 of the 52 Republicans to defect. Given all they are trying to do I can't see it happening.

Does anyone have an idea which republicans (or democrats) are on his side? I figured Tulsi Gabbard might be but according to her twitter, maybe not... (damn. I kinda like her)

Googled it and heres an interesting analysis that for me at least, shows alot of uncertainty in terms of republican support for trump: The 7 Levels Of Trump Support In Congress

Hell, even support by Fox wavers from time to time.

edit on 29-1-2017 by Mike.Ockizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
So now the Left's latest scheme to undermine the authority of the government and further divide the country is to waste congress' time by introducing bills they know full well will not be passed.

I wouldn't limit that to the left. It's obvious that there are a number of republicans who his agenda threatens...

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

What do you expect from the senile Dianne Feinstein, beside messing around with the second amendment and welcoming illegals into California she really doesn't have anything else to do with herself.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The law is clear.

Trump is perfectly within his right.

www.law.cornell.edu...
edit on 29-1-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join