It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Says Green Card Holders Won’t Be Barred

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

John F. Kelly, the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, eased a key part of President Trump’s immigration order on Sunday, saying that people from the affected countries who hold green cards will not be prevented from returning to the United States.

“In applying the provisions of the president’s executive order, I hereby deem the entry of lawful permanent residents to be in the national interest,” Mr. Kelly said in a statement. “Accordingly, absent the receipt of significant derogatory information indicating a serious threat to public safety and welfare, lawful permanent resident status will be a dispositive factor in our case-by-case determinations.”

Trump Administration Says Green Card Holders Won’t Be Barred

Trump supporters may want to check the veracity of the story above before continuing with this thread. The source is The New York Times after all.

Trump: New York Times is 'fake news'

I already know the typical Democrat response to this news...

"At least there's some justice being done."

On the other hand, it seems to me that this news will put Trump supporters in a difficult place. Can they admit that their glorious leader made a mistake?

There's a chance that Trump supporters could end up disagreeing with their glorious leader over this issue. That's quite a dilemma, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

New York Times Publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr. has admitted his paper underestimated Donald Trump's support among American voters. Sulzberger promises to "rededicate ourselves" to the newspaper's standards of reporting news "honestly," but had the "Gray Lady" been fair to start with, it would not need to rededicate itself, New York Post columnist Michael Goodwin said in a Saturday opinion piece. "Because it demonized Trump from start to finish, it failed to realize he was onto something," Goodwin writes. "And because the paper decided that Trump's supporters were a rabble of racist rednecks and homophobes, it didn't have a clue about what was happening in the lives of the Americans who elected the new president."

That is their words, not mine

link
edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: add link

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

NYT is only fake news sometimes.. when Trump is scrutinized.

but what a start.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

In applying the provisions of the president’s executive order, I hereby deem the entry of lawful permanent residents to be in the national interest,” Mr. Kelly said in a statement. “Accordingly, absent the receipt of significant derogatory information indicating a serious threat to public safety and welfare, lawful permanent resident status will be a dispositive factor in our case-by-case determinations.”

That`s completely consistent with his goal of keeping terrorists out.

It`s the liberals who mistakenly believe that Trump is attempting to ban all muslims if anything this is just more proof that the liberals are delusional or liars,not that any more proof is needed.The fact that there are muslim countries not on the ban list is all the proof that is needed for an honest,intelligent person to know that trump isn`t trying to ban all muslims.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

If true then why the waiver?

Washington Times better than NYT?

BREAKING: Trump administration issues waiver to let green card holders avoid travel ban

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
On the other hand, it seems to me that this news will put Trump supporters in a difficult place. Can they admit that their glorious leader made a mistake?

There's a chance that Trump supporters could end up disagreeing with their glorious leader over this issue. That's quite a dilemma, isn't it?

I voted for Trump and I have no problem to say that's good.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

If people would not have freaked out, they would have known that this was in the EO originally.

(g) Notwithstanding a suspension pursuant to subsection (c) of this section or pursuant to a Presidential proclamation described in subsection (e) of this section, the Secretaries of State and Homeland Security may, on a case-by-case basis, and when in the national interest, issue visas or other immigration benefits to nationals of countries for which visas and benefits are otherwise blocked.

As I mentioned several times in these threads, people who wanted entry just had to ask based on the above clause.
There was no need for lawsuits or freaking out.
The ban was never absolute with no way around it.

Homeland Security had the authority the entire time to decide who they are going to allow in, so... they did.

Full Text

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Green cards are not visas so that does not apply.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

why would permanent U.S. residents need to be vetted every time they enter the country?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

"visas or other immigration benefits"

I would say that allowing existing holders of green cards entry would fall under "other immigration benefits".

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

You would say?

That really doesn't carry much weight and Green Cards indicate permanent residance.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Why indeed.

Still the waiver had to be issued because, as the OP said, someone messed up.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

A green card does not mean citizen, and can be revoked at any time.
So yes, it is considered an "immigration benefit".

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

No, Homeland Security has the authority to admit, per the EO.
Nothing changed.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Because you say so?

Someone above you thought otherwise.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Green cards are not visas so that does not apply.

Green Card holders get a background check any time they travel back into the U.S.

They have foreign passports.

American passports are issued when somebody becomes a U.S. Citizen.

And, maybe some get "radicalized" when visiting other countries.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

You would say?

That really doesn't carry much weight and Green Cards indicate permanent residance.

But not a citizen and still a immigrant so the EO most definitely applies to it.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

A green card does not mean citizen, and can be revoked at any time.
So yes, it is considered an "immigration benefit".

beat me to it.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

The problem is that is an agenda, those that wants the truth will seek the truth, those that are behind the fake news and the propaganda will never seek the truth.

I think we need to start ignoring those that are no here to learn but to instigate when it comes to facts.

Those that are for a debate base on the truth, those should be welcome.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Not anymore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join