It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Obama adviser calls Trump decision on Nat Sec panel 'stone cold crazy'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Deplorable and cold stone crazy, What more of a complement could you ask for from your opponent.

Brilliant!
+1

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
no one in Obama's Admin should ever be allowed to [speak] on national security.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
And from a foreign policy scholar.... yeah, one of those elite people who aren't as smart as Trump or Bannon

Trump Needs a Strong NSC. It Doesn’t Look Like He Wants One. This weekend’s least-noted presidential directive may be the most consequential … in a bad way.

Trump seems to believe that it is appropriate for him to make foreign policy on the fly. Sometimes he seems as though he does not understand that is what he is doing — that indeed, everything a president does is foreign policy.
[Re two not present] Given the sometimes fluid nature of NSC meetings, where discussions and topics can change in real time, not having them in the room will mean that their expertise and views will not be taken into consideration. Given that one of these individuals is the senior member of the U.S. military and the other is mandated to be the head of the U.S. intelligence community, it is difficult to imagine any national security discussions that would not benefit from their perspectives and involvement.
[Re Bannon] you have precisely the sort of person who has no business at all being at an NSC meeting. But even if you were to set aside such profound character flaws and gaps in experience, the idea that a purely political advisor should be at the table while the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of national intelligence are not shows a profound lack of understanding of what the NSC has been — or what it should be.
if there was ever a president that needed a high-functioning National Security Council it is this one. The early signs as to whether he will have one or whether he will listen to it even if he does are not encouraging.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

This is the most horrifying action in Trumps' short tenure as POTUS.

His executive action limits the attendence of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of national intelligence to only principles' committee meetings, on an "as needed" basis. But white nationalist, anti-Semite Steve Bannon--with zero national security experience--will be have a permanent seat at National Security Council meetings.

Absolutely ignorant.

edit on 1/29/2017 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This could end up up being a good move.Remember when President Obama was clearing out the Joint Chiefs to get people in there that supported his view?It looks like President Trump may be shutting these people out until he and Gen. Mattis can get their own people in there.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: buckwhizzle

How is it a good thing to surround yourself with "Yes Men"? Is Donald's ego too fragile to listen to information that isn't "flavored" to his liking?

I don't see how having Steve Bannon, a political strategist (I''m being generous with this label), on the NSC will be comforting to any military folks. Personally, I prefer that life and death decisions made by the President, never have the taint of politics.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Hmm a double post.
edit on 29-1-2017 by xpert11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This is the one thing that Trump has done which concerns me the most. In his book Duty Robert Gates talks about how appointments to the NSC on political and not actual merit has been detrimental. Now it is too late. Under President Obama the NSC were really just lackeys or conveyors of his policy objectives. Instead of carrying water for Hillary Clinton the MSM should have been highlighting these kinds of issues.

Trump is consolidating power around the Oval Office. FDR did about the same. Even as a WW2 buff I can struggle to name a meaningful list of FDR's cabinet minsters. Only time will tell how the Trump Presidency unfolds. Instead of worship Obama supporters should have take the time to address how the NSC was being devalued. You reek what you sow.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 29-1-2017 by xpert11 because: My laptop playing up

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

If asked, Susan Rice would say that EVERY decision President Trump makes is crazy. Her comments are not even newsworthy at this point.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Bannon was an officer in the United States Navy for seven years in the late 1970s and early 1980s, serving on the destroyer USS Paul F. Foster as a Surface Warfare Officer in the Pacific Fleet and stateside as a special assistant to the Chief of Naval Operations at the Pentagon.[33]

He seems to have a little more experience than an academic.

Oh look! He was educated too!!

Stephen Kevin Bannon was born on November 27, 1953, in Norfolk, Virginia, the son of Doris (Herr) and Martin Bannon, a telephone lineman.[26][27] His family were working-class, Irish Catholic, pro-Kennedy, pro-union Democrats.[28][29]

He graduated from Virginia Tech in 1976 with a bachelor's degree in urban planning and holds a master's degree in National Security Studies from Georgetown University School of Foreign Service. In 1985,[31] Bannon received a Master of Business Administration degree with honors from Harvard Business School.[32] Service in U.S. Navy

It's on his wiki page.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
So Trump put the modern day version of Joseph Goebbels on his council. Does this surprise anyone?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Call me crazy, but I really don't care about anything a former Obama adviser has to say about anything. Next?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

If asked, Susan Rice would say that EVERY decision President Trump makes is crazy. Her comments are not even newsworthy at this point.

One of my beefs with the anti Trump fake mass hysteria is how it can blanket out areas which are of genuine concern and deserve attention. Trump would do a service to his country if he ensured the NSC was genuinely a non partisan policy advisory body. Future residents in the White House would benefit enormously.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 29-1-2017 by xpert11 because: tags

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

President Donald Trump's decision to reorganize the National Security Council in a way that removes the director of intelligence and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from always attending the principals' committee is "stone cold crazy," former National Security Adviser Susan Rice said Sunday.

Rice retweeted another Twitter user, P.E. Juan, who said: "Trump loves and trusts the military so much he just kicked them out of the National Security Council and put a Nazi in their place."

Rice, President Barack Obama's national security adviser, was reacting to an executive order signed by Trump that said that the head of DNI and the nation's most senior military officer would be invited to attend the security meetings "where issues pertaining to their responsibilities and expertise are to be discussed."

SOURCE

You can read about Trump's decision to reorganize the National Security Council in the article linked directly below.

Trump puts Bannon on security council, dropping joint chiefs

A poster on this forum criticized me for suggesting that the divide between the left and the right may be reaching unprecedented levels in recent times. I believe the article linked to at the top of this post is just more evidence that it is.

Why would Trump reorganize the National Security Council? Is he operating just as most of his supporters do? To these people the expression "out of sight, out of mind" seems to take on a whole new meaning.

I feel like we're getting closer to all of this ending in some kind of disaster. It's looking more and more likely to me that Trump will be impeached within this year.

Will Donald Trump be president at year-end 2017?

I'll be watching the webpage linked above closely.

Do you give any credibility to rice?
Is this the same rice that told the american people that a youtube video caused benghazi?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: xpert11

originally posted by: carewemust

One of my beefs with the anti Trump fake mass hysteria is how it can blanket out areas which are of genuine concern and deserve attention. Trump would do a service to his country if he ensured the NSC was genuinely a non partisan policy advisory body. Future residents in the White House would benefit enormously.

It's interesting that most people don't know what these entities (i.e. National Security Council) are, until President Trump puts his fingerprint on them. Personally, I still have no idea what the NSC is, or what it has done to ensure our National Security. I'm going to go perform a quick Google look-up right now...

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
OK anything that an Obama adviser is saying is bad must be good. That's how it works with liberals.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
For others who didn't know anything about, "The White House National Security Council".

Excerpt from: en.wikipedia.org...

"The White House National Security Council (NSC) is the principal forum used by the President of the United States for consideration of national security and foreign policy matters with senior national security advisors and Cabinet officials and is part of the Executive Office of the President of the United States. Since its inception under Harry S. Truman, the function of the Council has been to advise and assist the president on national security and foreign policies. The Council also serves as the president's principal arm for coordinating these policies among various government agencies. The Council has counterparts in the national security councils of many other nations."
edit on 1/29/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

IMO the NSC could do with a structural overhaul. By law the Chairman of the Joint Chefs of staff and the Sec of State and Defence should be mandatory members of the NSC who can't be removed from meetings. I do think there needs to be a method which allows Presidents to appoint non mandatory appointees to the NSC with Congressional Oversight. For example having one or 2 seats available for a academic like Robert D Kaplan may have merit. The size of the NSC and it's overhaul structure should be debated across political lines.

In fact if I had my way the New Zealand Government would adopt it's own version of the NSC.This would allow for the consolidation of advice given to members of cabinet.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Trump already during his campaign told that the council meeting - every morning - is just a waste of his time. Bannon can take that rip, and then tell Trump the headlines. If something urgent - naturally then the procedure is different and changes. But until then no need to take off from draining the swamp.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
no one in Obama's Admin should ever be allowed to [speak] on national security.

Who was it who caught and killed Bin Laden again?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join