It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Home: A Movie Set

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
My vintage home's interior is of my own design, it is a 1930s architecture and I have decorated it and remodeled and rehabbed it myself.
Sometimes when I watch movies (one of my most beloved hobbies), I check out interiors that seem to make me feel comfortable (which also makes a difference in how I feel about the characters who inhabit it)....

I think I've done a good job with my home since I bought it on the cusp of the new millennium.....
and because I spend the vast majority of my time here, and watch a lot of movies, and write stories and surf the web and hang out like it's Yoville. As of this year, my home is in a condition that I am happy with, and I am comfortable with it being my "nest."

My 'sanctuary.' When I add music, it provides a soundtrack. So, I can imagine (and am living) an entire reality and have managed to surround myself with an atmosphere that is part of who I am.

It is the movie set of my life: the documentary of my existence. And it has a soundtrack, too. Don't we all have a silent soundtrack in our .s? That's what the Earworm thread is all about.

So ---- anyway; purpose of chat. Do you feel like you own your life and choices to that extent? That what you have built and nurtured and cared for as a homeowner reflects you? I sure do. Just wanted to say hey....

Do you guys ever think of your home or workplace as a movie set? Do you like the set? If you were the director, what would you change?

edit on 1/29/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Just still ruminating about this.

For each of us, regardless of where we live: the layers of our "home" include our bed, our room, our house, our yard. Our car, our street, our neighborhood; our office, our local vendors, our city/state/country, and our planet. Our school. Our fraternal organization or club. We here are ATS. If we were somehow to meet one another in an airport this afternoon, and it came out that we were acquainted from here ----- what then? We would buddy up, that's what.

Have you ever noticed that the further you get from home, the closer you feel to people from home?

Like say, if I go visit my daughter, and on the plane is a woman who is a friend of my mom's. We have that in common...so I would talk with her when I found that out. (Her name escapes me now, but we had a very nice conversation on the plane having established that common ground.)

Or, I'm on a train in Scotland and talking to my mate, and a young woman hears us talking and comes over and says, "Hey! I heard some Americans!"

Have you guys ever had that happen? Someone you wouldn't glance at twice in your day-to-day activities might become your travel companion if you're all in a foreign country. (Her name was Taj - she was a blonde from Minnesota).

Anyway, sorry. Rambling. Cuz I can when it's a reply to own inner dialogue chit-chat thread.

LOL!!

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I like the thought of connecting the two... cool topic! I imagine you should possibly send your work to the public, and maybe we'll get to see a film in your house???

As for me, I don't know what a feeling of ownership really is... hahaha. Things pass through my possession, but I don't own them. Where I reside is pretty much the same as when I first moved in... no paint, pictures, or remodeling so I assume that means it reflects me, yes.

I feel better when I sleep in the woods, away from light and electricity. Scripts are currently being established to alter plots and locations I guess. So, I will likely make like a tree and leave home sometime in the near future... or look for one at least.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Awesome response. Thank you. I see you get exactly what I'm saying.
I haven't made any movies here, but I sure did buy the camera and set up the scenery and make a musical score, and build the back-drops....

Do you want to do that someday?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I live in psychedelic hippy splendor but spend most of my time on actual movie sets in Tamalewood [New Mexico], like this one....

www.imdb.com...
edit on 29-1-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs my home is not a documentary of my life .. nor a movie set by a long shot..but is my little sanctuary that I get pleasure in " nesting " in. That being said my home as well as material possessions do not define who I am
...and I won't be taking it with me when I go to what I believe is my real home.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I can't do cosy. I dunno why because I like a place that's cosy but I just don't have the knack for it. My ex-housemate could accomplish it without a second thought.

I like really tidy and colour co-ordinated with a dash of the Middle East but currently all my fancy lampshades and silk embroidered curtains are stowed away. So I'm just tidy and colour co-ordinated

What makes a home for me, though, is pets. I don't care if they nibble my stuff or try and steal it. I don't mind about muddy paws either. Without a pet 'home' is just a place you live in.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

And what of your 'personal space' -- where you hang up your hat and jacket, and pull up a seat?

I know you are a movies guy -- we had a dialogue some years ago about scripts and possible collaboration. And yes, when I saw you had replied I smiled.

Okay --- so, how is your "Truman Show" going? At work you get to do it with props....

I do that seasonally as a performer at our our Local Renaissance Festival.....
and yeah, my home has artifacts and decor that reflect that to some extent (ambience). We also have two "tropical rooms" though. Each room has abundant windows, and the sun is part of our decor, for sure.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
a reply to: BuzzyWigs my home is not a documentary of my life .. nor a movie set by a long shot..but is my little sanctuary that I get pleasure in " nesting " in. That being said my home as well as material possessions do not define who I am
...and I won't be taking it with me when I go to what I believe is my real home.

I'm just talking about a real-time show as if you were on Ed TV, or The Truman Show. Didn't mean to pick a fight -- if you can't relate, that's cool. There was no 'moral' to the story.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I have never been immersed within a viewed setting and vowed to limit expression. At the same time, I stage a persona functionally through work and all... to keep this brick and mortar walls around me currently. I do find enjoyment in helping others build sets... but I must move on at some point in time. I will do that someday... combining scripts will be the best life adventures!

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs sorry if i misconstrued your intention... but I haven't spent much time trying to duplicate movie sets in my decor... most folks living on limited income can't ..even if they choose to. Sorry .. should have not commented at all and just left your thread alone.. my bad😕.. please accept my apologies.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

My personal space is filled with a lifetime of hoarding guitars, horns, religious icons, Abstract paintings, Indian ceramics and books all in total disarray. Thus I spend most of my time out back....

Livin the dream....
edit on 29-1-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
JUST TO CLARIFY....

my home is 78 years old, and I paid $45,000 for it in 1999.

It is not a McMansion, or a Historical Society Landmark. I have furnished it with my own sweat, antique and re-purposed/upcycled, vintage, donations from loved ones who discard, and flea markets.

I do the construction and maintenance and upkeep myself as much as I can, although I have to hire out the heavy lifting and serious tool-weilding and strength-requiring equipment.

Just so no one thinks I'm saying it's a worthy tour stop or something. It's an old, ordinary house in an old, ordinary neighborhood. It's only 1300 square feet, and it is barely keeping up. Just like my spouse and myself and many other people.

The point is, as humble and 'other side of the tracks' as it may be, it is a place I've made a home of. And I think now about how my generation grew up -- we Baby Boomers -- the 'American Dream.' Our parents' time in the sun....our childhoods.

It isn't about yachts and private Learjets and exotic animal preserves. It isn't about gigantic palaces that one rotates to on a seasonal basis.

It's about having your own little space. Your own tiny coordinate-bound spot on this earth. Our yard is 1/3 acre. But it's our yard. The house is small, dressed and fed, but not going to be on the cover of Architectural Digest or that "Crib Show" thing where we get to peek inside the royals' abodes.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

It's not about "duplicating movie sets" at all.

It's about adopting certain aesthetic styles one comes across into their own nests.

A Mexican remodeler down the street has a colonial-spanish style house, that he rehabbed and built to his own taste. Inside it probably has orange, pink, red and yellow walls and hand carved heavy wooden furniture. My house has an entirely different personality.

So, you see, I'm just talking about what I see as a tangible product of my adult life. I have a home that I feel comfortable in.

It's about being free to be genuine within the bounds of your living space.

Your personal space.
No thoughts?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
My Victorian looks like a Victorian now but it didn't when I bought it.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Exactly! Thanks for stopping by, I was thinking about you when I wrote the thread.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

As long as it's not like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, you're doing a good job lol. That is, if your not into that type of thing.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I am over her laughing... thinking of your house, staged to a time in history yet plotting dilemmas of current times... where a group of characters passes through your acquaintances and must find middle ground to communicate.

Like a doctor making a house call to relate the news that the male of the house has Herpes. The man then gets very offended that the doctor points out the need of a Hair Piece, and boots the doctor out the door.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I lost most of the before pics but the dining room was painted this hideous baby poop yellow before I un-effed it.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Wow, that is a museum... very nice! I would have a tough time getting comfy though... that is art that looks as if it should not be disturbed, just from afar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join