It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: "If you cross me, you're dead to me."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Donald Trump has issued a threat to his staff in the form of an "Ethics Pledge." I am aware that there is already a thread about this thoroughly bogus and deceptive "Executive Order," but it is so outrageous that it needs to be discussed in a forum that will permit more "lively" discussion.

It is traditional now for the incoming administration to draw up a policy to limit the "revolving door" between lobbyists and governments. Most of them are drafted in a straightforward fashion, and are applied in a fair manner. Not Mr. Trump's:

EXECUTIVE ORDER: ETHICS COMMITMENTS BY EXECUTIVE BRANCH APPOINTEES

I draw your attention to this tiny little loophole:

Sec. 3. Waiver. (a) The President or his designee may grant to any person a waiver of any restrictions contained in the pledge signed by such person.

(b) A waiver shall take effect when the certification is signed by the President or his designee.

(c) A copy of the waiver certification shall be furnished to the person covered by the waiver and provided to the head of the agency in which that person is or was appointed to serve.

A waiver? A waiver renders the entire document irrelevant. It allows Donald Trump to pick and choose who needs to follow the code of ethics and who does not.

Basically, this document gives the President power over his appointees that extends beyond their stay in office. If they quit in protest or are fired, they will not be able to return to the jobs they held previously for five years, a lifetime in politics. On the other hand, if they play ball, President Trump can snap his fingers and they can get a "waiver" that allows them to lobby or be lobbied immediately. Nice trick, eh? It makes Trump the arbiter of his underlings' careers. It makes him, in effect, a Godfather.

This is an enormous concentration of personal power over other individuals unprecedented outside of criminal organizations.
edit on 29-1-2017 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-1-2017 by DJW001 because: Edit to polish style.--DJW001

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Heh I'm not surprised..The fascist prick thinks He's a king..

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
It is quite simple.The people voted AGAINST hildebeast,her parasites and the NWO.Thank Lord.

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Nice Clickbait Thread.

It's always been this way for political appointees. You're going to mislead many people here as to what that exactly is.

What's real ... there isn't going to be a submarine waiting around to torpedo you. That's new.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Obama's ethics pledge had a waiver as well; I suspect they all did. Let's examine the differences.

(a) The Director of the Office of Management and Budget, or his or her designee, in consultation with the Counsel to the President or his or her designee, may grant to any current or former appointee a written waiver of any restrictions contained in the pledge signed by such appointee if, and to the extent that, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, or his or her designee, certifies in writing (i) that the literal application of the restriction is inconsistent with the purposes of the restriction, or (ii) that it is in the public interest to grant the waiver. A waiver shall take effect when the certification is signed by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget or his or her designee.
(b) The public interest shall include, but not be limited to, exigent circumstances relating to national security or to the economy. De minimis contact with an executive agency shall be cause for a waiver of the restrictions contained in paragraph 3 of the pledge.

Full text: en.m.wikisource.org...

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001
Not only is he acting but he's even starting to look like Kim Jong Un a bit more everyday.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

This whole order is within the scope of lobbying and lobbyist. We agree they are bad right?

The provision you are highlighting regarding the waiver is the safety net, it will however be curious to see what and if it is used.

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
See...This is exactly what I expect from the Left. You pick and choose which laws to follow, by what you think is "fair", but never hesitate to whine if someone else steps out of line. How about all the ACA waivers Obama handed out to his political friends? Hmm? Got anything to say about those?
Oh wait... don't have a clue what I'm talking about? What a surprise. As long as it's a Liberal pulling that sh**, you look the other way, but let anyone else make a misstep and you're on it like a dog on a bone.

If you didn't have double standards, you wouldn't have standards.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Notice that the waiver is issued by the Director of the Office of Management, and he or she is to make the determination based on specific circumstances. Trump's makes him the sole judge, and he is in no way constrained.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Obama's ethics pledge had a waiver as well; I suspect they all did. Let's examine the differences.

(a) The Director of the Office of Management and Budget, or his or her designee, in consultation with the Counsel to the President or his or her designee, may grant to any current or former appointee a written waiver of any restrictions contained in the pledge signed by such appointee if, and to the extent that, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, or his or her designee, certifies in writing (i) that the literal application of the restriction is inconsistent with the purposes of the restriction, or (ii) that it is in the public interest to grant the waiver. A waiver shall take effect when the certification is signed by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget or his or her designee.
(b) The public interest shall include, but not be limited to, exigent circumstances relating to national security or to the economy. De minimis contact with an executive agency shall be cause for a waiver of the restrictions contained in paragraph 3 of the pledge.

Careful now, you might be labeled a "racist" for pointing that out.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

IMO, you have misinterpreted the waiver clause as it actually relates to lobbying, relationships with lobbyists and vested business interests which may conflict with official govt business.

It is a code of conduct document in that regard and gives Trump or his appointee powers to issue a waiver, as long as the code of conduct is not compromised.

Having just read the entire thing, that's what I've taken away from it.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
It is quite simple.The people voted AGAINST hildebeast,her parasites and the NWO.Thank Lord.

This has nothing to do with Clinton. Trump won! He is our President, and he is going to run the country like a mafia. Deal with it.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

IMO, you have misinterpreted the waiver clause as it actually relates to lobbying, relationships with lobbyists and vested business interests which may conflict with official govt business.

All of Trump's appointees are lobbyists, businessmen who do business with the government, or former government or military personnel who may be in a position to lobby or be lobbied.

It is a code of conduct document in that regard and gives Trump or his appointee powers to issue a waiver, as long as the code of conduct is not compromised.

No; it gives Trump the power to grant a waiver to the code of conduct with no further stipulation or constraint.

link   

originally posted by: DJW001

This has nothing to do with Clinton. Trump won! He is our President, and he is going to run the country like a mafia. Deal with it.

Oh please stop dramatizing.There is a congressional approval aspect.

link   

a reply to: eNumbra

Notice that the waiver is issued by the Director of the Office of Management, and he or she is to make the determination based on specific circumstances. Trump's makes him the sole judge, and he is in no way constrained.

Yeah, that's what I took away from it, the Director of OoM and Consul to the president, so there's two parties that have to be in agreement for the waiver. Trumps waiver system is solely authoritarian in its design.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

originally posted by: eNumbra

Careful now, you might be labeled a "racist" for pointing that out.

No, just someone who doesn't know how to read the fine print. But thank you for playing the race card anyway.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

It's always been this way for political appointees.

Only in corrupt, third world dictatorships.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

There is a congressional approval aspect.

Uhhhh ... to be honest and fair ... not necessarily.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

There is a congressional approval aspect.

Uhhhh ... to be honest and fair ... not necessarily.

There is no mention of Congress at all. Few, if any of his EOs even mention Congress. It is as though it does not exist to him, or at least that they are there to follow his orders.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

a reply to: Snarl

It's always been this way for political appointees.

Only in corrupt, third world dictatorships.

Yeah ... like I said ... clickbait.

I've seen 'em come and go. You get good ones ... you get bad ones. You get these rules ... and you get those rules.

I've had two direct offers and turned both of 'em down. Why? Because I like my job(s) and I don't need the money. Did'ja know that under O-butthead, certain appointees could write out their own bonus checks? Yep, whatever an agency didn't spend from their budget could just be wrapped up into a tidy little check 'for a job well done'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join