It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary games don't scare me anymore.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I am a fan of horror. I have watched several movies, and played several games that are centered around the horror genre.

But i find myself no longer affraid of any horror game.

A quick list of games i have played throughout my life in the horror genre:
Resident evil 2 was my first horror game.
Fatal frame.
Siren.
Resident evil outbreak.
Thief.
Silent hill 3 the clock tower.
F.E.A.R. 1 2 and 3.
And finally this new game that looks cheaply made called pineview drive.

I also played F.N.A.F. but i got tired of it since all you do is sit in a chair closing doors and turning on lights, cameras and such. It scared me a little bit but.... not enough.

As far as movies go:
Texas chainsaw massacre the original.
The hills have eyes.
Scream.
I know what you did last summer.
Paranormal activity.
The omen 2006.
Insidious...

And several others.... even that poltergeist film back 2 or 3 years ago. Where the kid actually got pulled into the underworld and the old dude went inside to find and save her.

But they just do not scare me anymore. I can tell when some is going to die, or is not going to die in films....

But when it comes to games like resident evil 6, or now resident evil 7..... they lost their touch of fear and put it into guns.

Now pineview drive gives you 0 weapons and only a flashlight... i have to say pineview drive is indeed a much more scary game than resident evil 7. I have been doing a lets play series on it since it launched on ps4. And so far i find this cheapo game to be much scarier than resident evil 7. Because it is a psychological horror game than an action horror game.

I have played amnesia, and slender man and they pale in comparison to this games sense of horror.

Amnesia just has you running around collecting papers that tells you that you are the killer. Slenderman has something that warps around following you everywhere you go. But pineview drive.... has a ghost that warps statues, moves objects, loves thunderstorms, and walks right through you as you travel through the house.

But why is it that a 30 dollar pos scares me much more than these supposed tripple A titles? I watched others play resident evil 7... and i failed to be scared even once.

I play a game like fatal frame and honestly i am terrified. Even siren was terrifying on the ps3. Letting you see where the enemies were walking by looking through their eyes was scary. So... i just wonder what the hell happened to the horror games and movies industry... i can't even watch horror films anymore. I already know who is going to die, and who is going to stay alive just by looking at them, and what their personality is all about. In games it is the same.

Why are scary games not scary anymore?

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The scariest game I have played is minecraft, you are minding your own business whacking a tree or something when suddenly out of nowhere a green dildo get next to you and explode...

The one that invented that must be a sadist that likes to give PTSD to children.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I got the PS4 and VR. lol My niece was kicking the air.

It is the next level.

The horror games on VR are good. lol
edit on 28-1-2017 by d8track because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You might be desensitized. Go on a horror fast and then come back.

I probably shouldn't give horror advice I find no joy in scary. I just find it... well, scary. Not a top 10 favorite feeling for me. If I want to escape in a game or entertainment, I look for something that makes me laugh.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

Try The Evil Within.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Not sure, but what fascinates me most is the human feelings of finding enjoyment with horror events. Real or not... for fantasy or not... I have always been disturbed by horror movies or games. I am not scared of those who enjoy them, but often wonder what else can be viewed to be enjoyable... if the sight of gore, blood, and death are enjoyable to begin with? Like, do the deep seeded pleasures of gore expand into enjoying lots of taboo subjects? Like, I imagine a horror film/game admirer to maybe be pre-genetically predisposed to enjoy S&M?

I get pleasure from feel good movies and positive things. I do not feel any side is right or wrong, but may I ask what the pleasure of the gore feeds internally? I am merely trying to establish stereotypes within my own logic processing... no ill intent involved.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Also if movies don't scare you, I recommend the exorcist, 3 am, headphones, total darkness, if it does nothing on you probably you blew a scary fuse.

For games, get a GameCube and play eternal darkness.
edit on 28-1-2017 by Indigent because: Senior moment there

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

It's a normal evolution of being a "Gamer", you have seen it all, you have had your jump scares, now you predict it all, you think it's the games that have lost it's touch, but for new gamers (there is one born every minute) it's as scary as when you played your first games.

edit on 28-1-2017 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The video game industry is ravenously cannibalistic. If a game does well other companies break it down to see what people like and then duplicate it with a different treatment. You've mentioned all the most popular styles both of horror games and movies so you've seen all there is to see.

I almost started a thread about how bs Resident Evil 7 is. It's not a Resident Evil game. Slapping in a logo and potentially one character doesn't do it. That's last second treatment stuff. Like they made the game then decided it should be part of the RE universe because they wanted something VR capable with a popular name to sell the thing... Sorry about that, I'm still upset about it.

For what it's worth, if you haven't, I recommend the pre-Amnesia game Penumbra. And if you're a Hellraiser fan at all then read The Scarlet Gospels. Nobody I know in real life bothered with it at first but loved it once they got around to it.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Might want to take a peek at Resident Evil 7. Either VR or regular. Game is creepy as hell.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Play virtually any horror game that supports VR. Horror games have never scared me, but I tried out deadhalls and a few others on Oculus and holy crap... after about 30mins I had to stop and take some deep breaths. The emersion and atmosphere makes VR titles way scarier than normal games.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx
I am a fan of horror. I have watched several movies, and played several games that are centered around the horror genre.

But i find myself no longer affraid of any horror game.

A quick list of games i have played throughout my life in the horror genre:
Resident evil 2 was my first horror game.
Fatal frame.
Siren.
Resident evil outbreak.
Thief.
Silent hill 3 the clock tower.
F.E.A.R. 1 2 and 3.
And finally this new game that looks cheaply made called pineview drive.

I also played F.N.A.F. but i got tired of it since all you do is sit in a chair closing doors and turning on lights, cameras and such. It scared me a little bit but.... not enough.

As far as movies go:
Texas chainsaw massacre the original.
The hills have eyes.
Scream.
I know what you did last summer.
Paranormal activity.
The omen 2006.
Insidious...

And several others.... even that poltergeist film back 2 or 3 years ago. Where the kid actually got pulled into the underworld and the old dude went inside to find and save her.

But they just do not scare me anymore. I can tell when some is going to die, or is not going to die in films....

But when it comes to games like resident evil 6, or now resident evil 7..... they lost their touch of fear and put it into guns.

Now pineview drive gives you 0 weapons and only a flashlight... i have to say pineview drive is indeed a much more scary game than resident evil 7. I have been doing a lets play series on it since it launched on ps4. And so far i find this cheapo game to be much scarier than resident evil 7. Because it is a psychological horror game than an action horror game.

I have played amnesia, and slender man and they pale in comparison to this games sense of horror.

Amnesia just has you running around collecting papers that tells you that you are the killer. Slenderman has something that warps around following you everywhere you go. But pineview drive.... has a ghost that warps statues, moves objects, loves thunderstorms, and walks right through you as you travel through the house.

But why is it that a 30 dollar pos scares me much more than these supposed tripple A titles? I watched others play resident evil 7... and i failed to be scared even once.

I play a game like fatal frame and honestly i am terrified. Even siren was terrifying on the ps3. Letting you see where the enemies were walking by looking through their eyes was scary. So... i just wonder what the hell happened to the horror games and movies industry... i can't even watch horror films anymore. I already know who is going to die, and who is going to stay alive just by looking at them, and what their personality is all about. In games it is the same.

Why are scary games not scary anymore?

Did you play RE7 in Vr? It was amazing. Way scarier amd immersive.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I don't understand how people think RE7 was scary. The demo kind of was but the actual game no. Now PT was scary for me. I wish it became a full game.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Resident evil 7, or resident eVII, was not even the slightest bit scary for me.

Honestly reaident evil 2 still gives me a scare, but resi7 doesn't. I never got to download pt though.

Hopefully hideo kojima does something in the paranormal department.

But so far the number of times i have been scared in this cheapo pineview drive game has outnumbered resident evil 7.

And vr? I think i will wait until developers make it much easier to play without getting a headache. Honestly my friends all have told me that it lags a lot.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I guess it depends on what scares you and your environment while playing.

For example, last night I was playing Fallout 4, and was at Far Harbor trekking through the fog. I was home alone, my youngest son was camping out with his troop, my wife was at work, and I had my headphones on. I had stopped to listen as I thought something was coming through the fog, when one of my cats reached up behind me and touched the back of my arm.

I came out of my chair.

Jump Scares? Dreadful Feeling? Increased adrenaline rush from Horror Survival where you have no weapon to defend yourself? What is it that scares you.

You might try the following games too:

Outlast, Dungeon Nightmares, Dungeon Nightmares 2, 5 Nights At Freddy's, SCP Containment Breach, to name a few.

I've found some of the pretty good as I played them:

5 Nights at Freddy's

A collection of shorts of Outlast and other games:

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

The thing is... this pineview drive game has 0 gore. Doesn't even have violence in it other than it stating your wife has died at this place 20 years ago. Or at the very least, she went missing.

But i have been a beta tester, and hard core gamer for well over 20 years now.

I have started with mortal kombat, which wasn't scary, and have gone through countless enemies, mid bosses and bosses in games. But when it comes to the horror genre... specifically games, they don't legitimately scare me. And i am holding off on vr until they dont make people easily vomit.

Now that i have seen some videos of pt... i want that game. I really do.

But i didn't have a ps4 when that demo came out.

I think konami is so obsessed with fighting scary monsters that they lost the touch of fear. Dark souls, demons souls, and the successors of this original idea is nothing more than a crushing experience. Demon's souls i had no trouble playing because i kept finding all of the easy ways out. But everything after this game is just too easy. But it wasn't scary to me.

I don't really find gore that much fun to watch. I have seen saw and honestly... that doesn't scare me. For one reason: everyone in the show is shown to have taken advantage of people for financial gain. Saw is just punishment of the greedy. At least that is how i percieve that horror series. But the gore? Its over the top and highly imaginative. It just isn't scary. But that episode of black mirror about the video gamer? Now that was creepy. Hifhly imaginative. But not scary enough. I just don't get scared in movies anymore because i got used to the camera positioning.

You're next was an awesome thriller, and it scared me a bit with its cleverness.. but its a movie... and the camera cues are there.

In games though... i just don't get scared because i am hiding behind a gun.

F.E.A.R. 1 and 2 were awesome because it made your gun pretty much useless against alma. But if you didn't fire it they would kill you. I liked its presentation. And it was unpredictable... but the problem with all tripple a horror games now is.... guns... guns and more guns... hell throw in a flame thrower. Even some mollys. No one is really scared when they have a weapon.

Spectral was unique in how it tried to usescience to explain the enemies. But it just wasn't scary.

Oooo theres something on camera that you can just barely see. It looks human... and it kills on contact.

I mean sure you would # your pants if you ever came across one... but they just ruin the movie by having millions of them just pop up everywhere. And none of them even try to sneak up on them. They just attack like an old roman army. You'd think they would try to sneak around without charging head on.

Imagine if spectral was a video game.... it wouldn't be scary because you have a bunch of guns. And they create a new weapon to... temporarily disembowl them.

I just wish scary games would do more to scare me. Film can't do it anymore. It just... i have seen so many that i know where the cues are coming from.

The 6th sense was awesome though when it came out because it #ed with your head the entire time.

Dead space also #ed with your head a lot. And dead space was definitely scary because the weapons were so hard to use. But in the end you still have guns.... only instead of headshots, you perform limb shots. Itwasdifferent but it had its ways of making you feel hopeless.

I just wish people would be more imaginative when it comes to horror.

Like i remember watching a bunch of horror films together in like a festival type showing. And the one where they enter a house that seems completely empty, has everyone upstairs commiting a satanic like ritual. And suddenly arms start coming out of the walls, ground, cieling... everywhere trying to grab the sacrificial girl. When they finally stop at the train.... the car gets engulfed in arms pulling them underground.

Now that # was intense. I liked that horror short film.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I own FNAF 1 and 2. I stopped playing after the first two because i suddenly realised what i was actually playing....

A horrific version of whack a mole.

If you know enough about coding in video games, then you would easily identify what this game truly is. It's whack a mole.

I am not knocking this game because if its cheapness, or its lack of being able to walk around... but honestly... it got boring after the first game. And the second was rather boring as well. Even after playing the save them mini games.

And outlast..... well there is one game i haven't heard of. But watching the lets play videos?

Just looks like a bunch of cutscene scares.... and once again it is human like forms causing physical damage.

I am not trying to knock the game, but its like metal gear solid. And i love metal gear solid. Stealth is a major key to the game. Along with cqc. Honestly this another problem i have with games... if a game plays like something i have already fulfillingly enjoyed... i stop playing it. Unless it is the same series. Of course i never played mgs5 because.... open world games suck. I hate walking, driving, horseback riding, or waiting long periods of time by holding up on my joy stick. Seriously i hate open world games. I can stomache gta because it was the first open world game i played. And honestly it is the only open world game series i like. Everything else is just.... i hate to say it but every other open world game is just trying too hard. I couldn't even play infamous or infamous 2 when it came out.

But as far as horror games go... i just want to see something new.

No more zombies. No more social rejects... no more batmans and jokers.... i want something that truly is something to fear in a video game.

I wish resident evil seven was more like resi outbreak. I miss that game.

I will just have to settle with pineview drive for a while.

edit on 1292017 by GiulXainx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I'm with the others who suggest VR , the game no longer scares you so you need to enter the game world to seek the thrill.

Either that or you've become desensitised and need to play light and fluff games for 6 months to resensitise yourself.
Personally I'd go for VR.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
There is no lag in VR. Most people who say things about the current state of VR base it on the Daydream, Gear VR or even cardboard. They Should not be used as a measure for where VR gaming is and yet appt of people, even some tech writers ate using them to form their opinions. Grab a Rift, Vive ir in the case of RE7, a PSVR and you will see how it changes everything.

While I personally have some issues with the current VR tech and think it really needs 4k resolution, the experience for horror games is night and day and must be tried.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Hmmmmm.

Well I hate to say it, but it sounds like for now you're not going to find a game in the horror genre that will work for you.

Horror Movies work at scaring people based on: visuals, sound, music (sound and music are different), and identifying with the victims in the show.

For games, you still have the visuals, sound and music, but many games also depend upon things like Jump Scares to startle players.

Like Five Nights at Freddy's, as you put it, it's like a whack a mole type game, only in this case you're not whacking anything, but shutting a door. But you can only shut it for so long before you loose power, so you have to shut wisely. It also has the Jump Scare element: one of the creepy looking automotons suddenly appear in your door way, the more intense one of course is when you lower the in game computer screen, and it's there in your face screaming at you. For some, that manner of Jump Scare is very startling.

Now here is the thing about both games and movies: It's intended function is to entertain you (and make the creators money of course, but let us put that aside for now). It either does, or does not.

If it does not, why? Is it because they did a lousy job putting it together and presenting it? Is it because what it was just wasn't your thing? Or: Is it because you are over analyzing it, instead of attempting to enjoy it?

If you go into a game and actively try to find faults with it, or try to find reasons to dislike it every time you play, you're going to have a hard time enjoying most games. I try to give each game that I play a chance, instead of sitting there trying to pick it apart and find fault with it each time. If I did that, I wouldn't enjoy any game that I play.

For horror games, your playing environment matters too. Play it home, alone, at night, with the lights out and headphones on and volume up. Go into it wanting to enjoy it and leave the analyzing it out.

It also could be you're just desensitized as gortex suggested. If you can't suspend the knowledge that you're sitting there in your chair safe and sound, not immersing yourself into the game, then yah, any horror game will fail to scare you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join