It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Emergency Stay Granted - Defeat for Trump's Right Wing Agenda

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
a reply to: Indigo5

It would be great if every time a temporary block is cleared, another judge takes a stand.

And to be clear, I'm only supporting those that had/have the proper paperwork and were or are rejected.

The federal judge in WA in his ruling:
There is some very good stuff in there and I found it interesting that a Conservative Appointed Judge went as far as to remind folks in his ruling of the role and responsibilities of the Judicial branch

In our present time...He had to remind people of what actual checks and balances are amongst the three branches of government and how they work.
Sad he had to explain it, but given who is in the WH and the "alternative facts" floating around, it was probably good he included that part.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Reminds me once again that President Trump is not part of the establishment everyone loves to hate.
The knives are out on all sides.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This fight is far from over, the Constitution and Federal Law is clear, that the President can deny entry to any class of people for any reason, at any time. This Judge overstepped his authority and I have no doubt that his ruling will be struck down at some point.

In the meantime, lets pray nothing happens. Because if some sort or terrorist event does happen, and it related to this ruling, there will be hell to pay, for those who opposed it.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBRiddle
This fight is far from over, the Constitution and Federal Law is clear, that the President can deny entry to any class of people for any reason, at any time. This Judge overstepped his authority and I have no doubt that his ruling will be struck down at some point.

In the meantime, lets pray nothing happens. Because if some sort or terrorist event does happen, and it related to this ruling, there will be hell to pay, for those who opposed it.

Misrepresentation by the media, I would wager a bet that no one without a green card is getting in.
This has not changed.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

edit on 4-2-2017 by rordinil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

originally posted by: JBRiddle

Misrepresentation by the media, I would wager a bet that no one without a green card is getting in.
This has not changed.

Um.

“We have reversed the provisional revocation of visas under” Trump’s executive order, a State Department spokesman said Saturday. “Those individuals with visas that were not physically canceled may now travel if the visa is otherwise valid.”
www.washingtonpost.com... 1b6b443624_story.html?utm_term=.5244e63e36bf

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

You are confused. The courts aren't political, the people filing the paperwork are.

The paperwork was filed at close of court so that the judge would have to issue a temporary stay until it can be reviewed at the start of the work week.

Edit: again, this is the exact same thing that happened with the Dakota pipeline.
edit on 4-2-2017 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

The paperwork was filed at close of court so that the judge would have to issue a temporary stay until it can be reviewed at the start of the work week.

The motion was filed on January 30th. That would be a Monday.
agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazonaws.com...
edit on 2/4/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Your issue is not opinion, mine or otherwise...It is objectivity.

Apparently my 'issue' is not saying what you want me to.

I linked the law earlier. It specified that the President has the power to do exactly what the Executive Order did.

Another poster linked a later law that further clarified that power.

Issuing a stay on grounds of unconstitutionality when the law is explicit means the law itself is being blocked by that stay.

I never said Presidents make laws, or that judges could not make rulings on immigration matters, or any of that other stuff. I said an Executive Order carried the weight of law in some cases, and that judges typically did not interfere with immigration matters. Those statements are fact.

I strongly suggest slowing down enough to actually read what was said and linked.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

My mistake, I wonder why it took the judge all week to see the case?

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: neformore

If you support the notion that the convenience of a minority is of greater importance than the safety of the majority, then, yes, I consider that as advocation of destruction.

TheRedneck

Said the government while rounding up Japanese Americans during WW2...

"Democracy therefore requires minority rights equally as it does majority rule. Indeed, as democracy is conceived today, the minority's rights must be protected no matter how singular or alienated that minority is from the majority society; otherwise, the majority's rights lose their meaning."
democracyweb.org...

For one, a defining characteristic of democracy must be the people's right to change the majority through elections.

This right is the people's "supreme authority." The minority, therefore, must have the right to seek to become the majority and possess all the rights necessary to compete fairly in elections—speech, assembly, association, petition—since otherwise the majority would make itself permanent and become a dictatorship. For the majority, ensuring the minority's rights becomes a matter of self-interest, since it must utilize the same rights when it is in minority to seek to become a majority again.

democracyweb.org...

In all things, minority rights are the crux of democracy..absent that, dictatorship follows.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

This is fascinating...and mildly relieving...

Bannon thinks himself a Sith Lord and newly minted DHS Head John Kelly slapped him down and explained Bannon has no authority over him..

Bannon wanted Green-Card holders in the USA to have their Visa's cancelled....That is a dark agenda...rounding up folks from universities and companies and deporting them. And Bannon actually tried to order DHS to not issue waivers for them!

DHS Secretary John Kelly reportedly refused to comply with Stephen Bannon's plan for green card holders

theweek.com...

LOVE this bit

The confrontation between Bannon and Kelly pitted a political operator against a military disciplinarian. Respectfully but firmly, the retired general and longtime Marine told Bannon that despite his high position in the White House and close relationship with Trump, the former Breitbart chief was not in Kelly’s chain of command, two administration officials said. If the president wanted Kelly to back off from issuing the waiver, Kelly would have to hear it from the president directly, he told Bannon.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

My mistake, I wonder why it took the judge all week to see the case?

He had to wait for "instructions".

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Catching up on the ins and outs of how this unfolded at DHS and the WH this afternoon.

Honestly...this is just wildly embarrassing, not just for the Trump administration, but for me as a US citizen having this degree of incompetence in the Executive branch. They got the whole Alt-Right agenda down, which is embarrassing by itself, but to see the complete and utter cluster-eff of this EO roll out is doubly embarrassing.

First the AG refuses to defend it and is forced to resign with 3 days left..

THEN his NEW head of DHS over-rides the EO and issues waivers for Green-Card holders! And essentially tells Trump's Chief Alt-Right advisor to eff-off when Bannon tries to order him to invalidate Green-Cards.

Meanwhile a Bush Appointed Federal Judge stays the travel ban nation wide..

And several States AGs and the ACLU et al are riding forward with multiple lawsuits..

And the best legal defense the WH has come up with is essentially..."Cuz I say so and I am the President"...which typically doesn't go over well with the Judicial Branch..and EQUAL branch of government tasked with checking over-reach.

Apart from whether the order makes sense...This is just embarrassingly incompetent.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Convenience:

noun
    1. the quality of being convenient; suitability.

2. anything that saves or simplifies work, adds to one's ease or comfort, etc., as an appliance, utensil, or the like.

3. a convenient situation or time:
      at your convenience.

4. advantage or accommodation:
      a shelter for the convenience of travelers.

Safety:

noun
    1. the state of being safe; freedom from the occurrence or risk of injury, danger, or loss.

2. the quality of averting or not causing injury, danger, or loss.

3. a contrivance or device to prevent injury or avert danger.

4. Also called lock, safety catch, safety lock. a locking or cutoff device that prevents a gun from being fired accidentally.

5. the action of keeping safe.
All formatting mine.

No one is that clueless. You accuse me of having an agenda and not being objective, yet you have outed yourself as such in both respects.

I was about to tell you to try actually reading what was written, but I am sure you have; those facts simply do not fit your desired narrative. As usual, the bit dog hollered first.

TheRedneck

(post by rootwoot removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by murphy22 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Oh...What "convenience" were you suggesting the "minority" be deprived of for the sake of the "safety" of the "majority"??

As Benjamin Franklin famously said..

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

edit on 4-2-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
What is also interesting is...

First Justice Robart will hear arguments this week (at Earliest)

If he maintains the hold, then this goes next to the SF Federal Court..It will lose..Most liberal Federal Court in the country..

Then appealed up the ladder and maybe SCOTUS...it will be 4-4 at very best for the Trump admin...

And Tillerson at State and Kelly at DHS, both Trump appointees are pushing back on the EO. Since they have both decided not to enforce it during the stay, Trumps case for the EO is even weaker.

If they get Gorsuch appointed to SCOTUS before it gets there..Weeks away..The irony is that Gorsuch is anti-gov regulation. He is strict constitutionalist and known to not value precedent and leans toward limiting Gov. Power and over-reach etc.

Otherwise...Trumps Nominee has a history of striking down stuff just like the Trump EO.

THAT would be interesting to watch..I don't think Trump thought that one through..His Nominee is a fan of strict interpretation on government powers and not holding to past legal decisions. Trumps immigration authority is near wholey premised on precedent...and even over-reaches by measure of those Precedents that Gorsach is know to discard in rulings.

This EO has a very uphill battle.
edit on 4-2-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
We can cross this off the list. Like I said before, this was on its face unconstitutional and the GWB republican judge confirmed it. You right wingers have no idea of the flawed ideology you are supporting. Reasonable people everywhere see that you are supporting a very dark self-fulfilling prophecies; and you have no idea you are doing it.

This was was a very simple equation: Ban Muslims----> Radical Islam uses this as a recruiting tool ------> Terror Attack ----> Right wingers use these attacks to justify their existence. It goes on and on......and the right wingers here just eat it up because there is someone to blame for their failures and miseries in life.

Scratch one, a win for America. up next:

- Trump's ethics Issues
- The Trump/Russia connections and the war crimes that will be coming from Russia.
- Trump killing 30 civilians and 1 Navy Seal in poorly planned raid while AWOL and eating dinner.
- Betsy DeVos

new topics

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join