It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A plea for reformation of the left.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Greetings ATS'ers,
So my views on modern American/Western Liberalism are no secret to many on this site. Admittedly I do come of as harsh and coarse at times and I do apologize to anyone I may have upset or offended during the course of these events. I will say that when(not if) conservatism derails like this I will be right there fighting with you. This is because I honestly do care about you all deeply as individuals and as brothers and sisters all part of the same human family. No one wants to see another human suffer, well most of us anyway. Likewise no one wants to see another human suffer because of the bad decisions or at the hands of other humans. If I didn't care about you all I wouldn't even try and reverse this. I would just sit back and watch all the violence and hate escalate on both sides till the inevitable outcome. Though my voice may be small(with bad grammar and spelling) occupying a tiny post on a random corner of the internet. It's just one of many Classical Liberals who have been cast out by our peers and now find ourselves standing with the very people we once opposed.
Not something we did willingly or without pause.

Defending my liberal principles has become a conservative position.

I have mentioned multiple times that this kind of fracturing of a nation and a people is how civil wars are started, and it wasn't a joke or said lightly. You can laugh all you want if you find that statement funny but there are many others like myself that feel the same way. Many like Dave Rubin who can articulate this far better than I ever could. So I will let him break this down.
Dave Rubin:

I see on social media people using the phrase regressive left a bit less lately, and replacing it with terms like Bigoteer, Control Left, or Illiberal left. Whatever name you use for this well meaning, but painfully misguided set of ideals is largely irrelevant. We need to identify this backwards idea that puts groups before people, and sometimes you need a label to get people to understand an idea.

The only thing that can replace the regressive descent of the left is on a return to true Liberalism. A liberalism which defends free speech and expression, a Liberalism that is for liberty and right of the individual, and most importantly a Liberalism that is one for human liberty.

I truly believe the regressive ideology to be the biggest threat to freedom and western civilization that exists today. With the rise of Trump and constant comparisons they make to Hitler, the Left now has their perfect bogey man to use to excuse anything. If your opponent is a vile racist you can use violence and any means necessary to stop him.

This is almost proven daily now to be true with the media justifying or deflecting these acts of violence towards anyone or anything associated with the right and conservatism.
He goes on to explain modern Regressive Liberalism.

The regressive/control/liberal left is a group of people who place identity, usually based on immutable characteristics in a pecking order of social importance, such as race gender and religion where victimhood is the highest virtue to be had. This oppression Olympics allows for groups to compete for who is the most oppressed, thus the most virtuous. And if someone isn't as oppressed as you, then you have full authority to oppress them accordingly. So Black Lives Matter can protest a gay rights march in Toronto, and a white gay man can be banned from leading a collage LGBT organizations, Pro-Life women can be kicked out of a woman's rights march's and so on.

And the list goes on and on and on...

This backwards ideology demands we judge one another not by the content of our character but by the color of our skin, or some other baked in trait, puts the collective ahead of the individual. It loves all of it's minority groups to behave as monoliths, so if you're a true individual, meaning you don't subscribe to the idea that the group think attributed to you based on those immutable characteristics, you must be cast out.

The individual must be sacrificed at the alter of the collective.

This is exactly what happened to me...
My views about individuality and self determination got me cast out of the collective because they didn't align with my immutable(white guy) characteristics.
He ends with.

If we can't reign in this madness on the left Donald Trump will be all to happy to show them his authoritarian side.

and

If you're a Liberal is there anything Left on the Left or are you Left out?

Here is the video I took these quotes from.

That leads me back to the title of this thread.
I know most ATS Liberals are more progressive then regressive but I still see that toxic contagious ideology piggyback it's way in here often.
So I implore you...
No I plea to you all still in this ideological camp if you want to save true Liberalism it must reform it from within.

Don't be part of a collective group think tank connected by social media.
If you don't prescribe and see the flaws in a specific set of extreme radicalized Regressive ideas say something. Your silence is in effect your cooperation with the collective.

You can't count on the right to start this healing process...
Conservatives mainly Neo-Cons(who by the way are next to commit ritual implosion) have been so demoralized, attacked, and defeated by this Liberal faction for so long I don't think they will stop this assault. They found the proverbial chink in the liberal armor and are fully intent on destroying this ideology. But in their fervor and blood lust for revenge are set to destroy the positive attributes of Liberalism as well. Though I can't entirely blame them we mustn't let that happen. One must understand the value of having a culture with both conservative and liberal values. America would never be what it is today without equal application of both principles. Yet we are about to see liberalism implode on itself then buried by the far right and probably lost forever if we don't do something now. Essentially throwing the baby out with the bath water.

To stop this madness the left must take the first steps to healing itself from within if it ever hopes to heal the rift it created between the two ideological classes. Cast out these modern regressive Liberals who only seek to divide us further with mass stereotyping and promises of false revolutions. Then look for alternate Liberal leadership in people like Dave Rubin and Christina Hoff Sommers who want to start the healing process and not give into the lunacy of a small isolated soon to be extinct form of Liberalism.

Thank you for reading.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

I consider myself Classical Liberal.

Yet I'm often painted as a conservative because I disagree with those who embrace a more severe leftist ideology.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The left is right when we stand on our heads...

In fact... left is down when I sleep.

I don't care who is right and who is left... let's just get comfy and stop bickering at each other.

I find much peace in all this turmoil going on around us... its a weird twist of fate to be called crazy, and advised to conform... to now watching myself find peace with the sane joining my world of craziness. The new crazies still feel a need to tell me what's right and wrong, even though I long ago made peace with crazy. Now which direction should I look for these untrained crazies? Maybe give some geographic coordinates since I can't tell which way is up... please?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Bravo Jay. Clearly spoken and precisely focused on the immediate mandate for liberalism. I would almost not try to add or detract from your presentation but that it has inspired in me a response that needs, at least by me, to be added.

For me anyway, the death of classic liberalism coincided with the election of William Jefferson Clinton, to be called hence forth by me, Slick Willy. He spoke the liberal clichés, presented himself as a savior from another four years of Bush, and played his saxophone on rate topping national television programs. He then rode the burgeoning ecomomic wave of digital technology and took personal credit for the economic boom . When he got caught doing hush hush thiings that previous presidents had done, he lied about it. And then did it again. And got caught again, and again and again. And Slick Hilly stood by and said nary a word. Cheating and lying and defending was not the liberalism I knew.

For me, if there is to be any future to liberalism in the US, it needs to start by stripping the gloss from the image of those two frauds. We need to thank our conservative friends for doing that with Slick Hllly. They have poked the hot air balloon of the Slick Fantasy and real liberals need to stand up and finish them both off.

If she runs again for anything, run against her. If her media buddies give her a job, don't tune in. Give her no ratings to entice sponsors and investors.

She should be shunned by all liberals because it was she, no, SHE who turned our nation over to a mad man. A real liberal would have known that. A real liberal would have recognized the rumblings of the of the people and taken the higher course, recognizing the very real will of the rising generation of Democrats and she, did, not. And why? We need to answer that question, why. We don't need conservatives telling us why, We need liberals telling us why. We need to find out for ourselves.

Slick Hilly has killed the so called ''liberal'' Democratic Party.

Why? Because she is not.......liberal. That's my answer.

If liberalism stands any chance of doing what our conservative friends think they just have, saving this great nation, it needs to look, right now, find the true and genius liberals among them and bring them forth now. Not later, Not next ? election but now.
Do not wait for the Democrat Party to revive. Take over its rotting corpse now, or leave it to rot for what it has done to us. Torn to shreds by a con man.

edit on 31America/ChicagoSun, 29 Jan 2017 00:52:30 -0600Sun, 29 Jan 2017 00:52:30 -060017012017-01-29T00:52:30-06:001200000052 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Well even my professor who called Trump a man baby and is a non conspiracy theorist (He is the type who would laugh at you if you are an anti vaxxer) admitted that the media and academia was dominated by Liberal Coastal Elites and that they are becoming a problem by promoting political correctness, pandering to minorities, and ignoring the white working class.

He kept his views private for the feat it will cost him his reputation and job.
edit on 1/29/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Yet I'm often painted as a conservative because I disagree with those who embrace a more severe leftist ideology.

Here's one for you. I'm a Centrist Globalist who believes in Humanity first - - above all else.

However, that does not mean "Doers" take care of the "Non-Doers". That which is not earned has no value.

Being displaced by war does not make you a "Non-Doer".

My neighbor, female, was a lawyer in Egypt. Here she is working at the dollar store.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I totally respect, and appreciate the honesty from the OP. I didn't even know "regressive left" was a thing till reading this. It gives me hope that there are some SANE liberals out there still. Interesting. I would bet this wouldn't have been a "thing" if the crazy SJW (majority) types, the real hateful and crazy hypocrites didn't keep continuing their in your face, "you're a Nazi, Hitler loving white supremacist, bigoted, misogynistic islamaphobe, xenophobe, homophobe" etc etc for disagreeing with them type crap they do every single day.

Good job OP. For a least showing a shred of sanity might actually exist on the left, still. Maybe?

edit on 29-1-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I have heard you say that a couple of times.DC. That must make me one of those more severe leftists and with that I cannot disagree. But at least we both have that basis of classic liberalism in common. I'm glad to know that about you.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Liberal Coastal Elites and that they are becoming a problem by promoting political correctness
Real liberalism does not have a mandate on how to talk. Real liberalism is free speech. Talk and listen is real liberalism. What we have today is none of that. Real liberalism tolerates language they prefer not to hear in hopes the people who feel they have to talk that way no longer do. And they stop. And everybodies happy. Not this crap we have today. It might have started with good liberal intentions but has become entirely non liberal.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   
This guy has some pretty good videos. He really seems as genuine as you can be right now considering the current climate.

With that said, I think it's appropriate to share another vid from the same guy the OP referenced, and it's just a few days old.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I think we really need more input from those who call themselves "liberals" on this. I know it's late, but I'm surprised by the lack of response on this. Well, I mean, I guess I'm not really.. Whenever REAL things backed with sick amounts of common sense are presented to modern "liberals", there tends to be lots of crickets. It's pretty incredible really.

I guess it's just a "meh, I don't care" thing for them. Okaaay. That is why they fail.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

And the USA and UK people have made it plain and clear what we think of globalists

You cant win on a globalist platform! Especially one that puts Globalism and identity politics above the wished of the average person

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
Good job OP. For a least showing a shred of sanity might actually exist on the left, still. Maybe?

Thank you!
I'm just trying to dial back this insanity. I don't see it ending well if we don't get some influential Liberal to step up and put a lid on this mass hysteria.
Trump will use the boot and I really don't want to see that...
Like where the hell is Bernie Sanders in all this?
This is HIS revolution after all!

Also want to remind people what Liberalism was originally intended to achieve. This isn't it! There may not be much left for liberalism to fight in the western world in regards discrimination and human rights. I feel that is the problem we have an ideal who's sole purpose is to stamp out oppression with no oppression to fight. That's how these oppression Olympics started in the first place.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
This guy has some pretty good videos. He really seems as genuine as you can be right now considering the current climate.

Dave Rubin is the man!
He actually worked for the young turks so he is a true liberal but left once he learned the truth making him a Classical Liberal.

new topics

top topics

join