It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When The Rich Become Preppers, It's Time To Worry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Once considered "fringe", Prepping is now going mainstream. Not surprised, if people actually knew that food will run out in 72 hours or less without our "just in time" delivery to grocery stores and that 90% of Americans or more have less than a week of food (most less than 3 days) You do the math. Anyone who has taken the time to read the EMP Report To Congress also knows that 90% of the population of the United States would be dead within a year due to starvation, disease, and violence if another Carrington Event event happened today.

www.zerohedge.com...

Disaster prepping is now acceptable enough that this week's article in The New Yorker had no trouble finding high-profile executives to talk to on record. I couldn't help noticing that the reporter avoided inferring that these folks were crazy, or implying as much. I guess once a critical mass of super wealthy tech entrepreneurs jumps on the bandwagon it’s suddenly hip to be a prepper?

But in recent years survivalism has expanded to more affluent quarters, taking root in Silicon Valley and New York City, among technology executives, hedge-fund managers, and others in their economic cohort.

In private Facebook groups, wealthy survivalists swap tips on gas masks, bunkers, and locations safe from the effects of climate change. One member, the head of an investment firm, told me, “I keep a helicopter gassed up all the time, and I have an underground bunker with an air-filtration system.” He said that his preparations probably put him at the “extreme” end among his peers. But he added, “A lot of my friends do the guns and the motorcycles and the gold coins. That’s not too rare anymore.”

The message here is clear enough: The wealthy have caught onto the idea that the probability of a major social disruption is high enough to merit serious action.

Prepping is now becoming “a thing.”

edit on 28-1-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The rich have always been preppers.

And the ultra-ultra rich have # we can't even fathom for if # really goes down.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bgrenual
The rich have always been preppers.

And the ultra-ultra rich have # we can't even fathom for if # really goes down.

Agreed, it took Trump to make the liberal left realize that the world is all smoke and mirrors....good for them, I hope a few survive.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

The most important takeaway is for those of who have been prepping to any extent not to slack, and if possible accelerate your preps.

Go after those items you have been putting off for whatever reason.

Just keep going.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

In this lays the roots of enabling influence when change is desired. Warren Buffet concludes that when others are selling, it time to buy... when others are selling, it is time to buy.

So, the poor prepped while the rich deemed it not necessary due to their wealth. Now that the rich are prepping, the poor should be responding by challenging the unpracticed skills of prepping.

I know I am ready to go in case of fallout... and I go about it with the belief that I can use my learnings better than the rich can purchase theirs...

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I know a lot of wealthy people. They don't prep.

What is your criteria for "rich"?

edit to add..

"Tyler Durden" and zhedge keep in biz with fear.
edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: added to

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Rich= More money than me. Doesn't have to work because they have stock dividends, etc., etc., etc.......arbitrary wealth.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm Rich and I am a prepper. Well technically my name is Rich but I am not wealthy.

We save a lot of money prepping, we buy things we normally use when on sale. We buy a half a cow a year and I give my kids and brother beef for Christmas. When it comes to around October, the beef is low, but the deer are in the yard if something happens. I have freezers and three working generators and even a fourth that I can get running. All four are worth less than four hundred bucks but they will do their job.

We have saved more than our stuff is worth by buying things we always use on sale and also save because we don't have to run to the store all the time and impulse buy. Ads come out tomorrow morning, we will be planning our next weeks purchases. The granddaughter moved into her own place with her husband to be and I gave them enough stuff to live for two weeks, it is expensive to get started, we gave them about twenty different kinds of commonly used spices too, including a can of organic pepper and a bottle of really good tasting organic vanilla extract.

Prepping is fun, it is a family project and we do not do it out of fear, my parents always had at least enough food in stock to last six months, most people did here back in the sixties. We only stock about three months food for the whole family, that is all we can rotate without wasting things.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

We heard over a year ago that "all the elitists" were running away to their bunkers, yet I haven't seen a shred of evidence of this

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
NPR also recently did a story on wealthy preppers.

www.npr.org...

Sal

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I don´t prep. If SHTF, i will hunt. Those greedy rich preppers and their stuff. Like millions of others will try to do too!
Those greedy rich people always need staff. Because they won´t or can´t do anything for themselves. Ho long will this staff be loyal, if SHTF? I don´t think that the 1% will be happy if SHTF, because from that time on they are nothing but prey. And millions out there are the predators!

I would rather be a predator than prey!

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: SallieSunshine
NPR also recently did a story on wealthy preppers.

www.npr.org...

Sal

We had one last week in germany... Spiegel online.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Most of these liberal types think it's all a bunch of hype,my father grew up during the depression,as well as some I worked with when I was young,I really think most will end up commiting suicide,because they are like the caged animaL,WAITING FOR OTHERS TO FEED THEM,kids these days have no skills,so they will turn to thievary,which might be suicide,either way,I see how immotional they are,best stay away from my family

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Did you know on 9/11 there was a long line of limousines several miles long waiting to go into an underground base in Virginia?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
We thought about prepping for a nuclear attack but decided we would join the dead. I think that will be better than left behind with the people who wanted destruction to happen.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
People are sadly mistaken if they can think they can buy their way out of any disaster scenario.

That include both rich and poor alike.

Real survivalism is about acquiring knowledge and skills, not things.

Don't want to starve because the grocery stores are bare?

Learn how to build and use a pvc aeroponic/aquaponic/hydroponic system.

Some hollywood examples of this was in Blast from the Past,Jeremiah,Clover field Lane, and what's his face shipping container bunker in Red.
edit on 12-6-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
wow what great 1st world logic

guess what if you have already bought tomorrows meal then you are rich...

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
People cant handle starvation

I cut 50 lbs for a competition one time training twice a day on 800-1200 diet with no breaks

Took 4-5 weeks

I was literally starving to death and I'm accustomed to this lind of starvation due to the kind sport I was involved in for so pong and its not easy even when you understand it and have been through it

Now mix in not knowing if your flat out goong to die from starvation and the added stress of that and who k ow how people will react

It rationally I know that

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The rich have always been preppers because they know their actions walk a fine line that has consequences should they fail to walk it without falling off.

top topics

join