It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Following Detainment, 'Refugees Welcome' Protest Erupts at JFK Airport

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
a reply to: smurfy

I have no problem with nationalism but extreme nationalism focused on a minority group as the cause for all ills is a very slippery slope,I dont want radical islamics either but that cant spill over to decent muslims already here.

Yes but he has gone the whole gamut, and made general mention Of Christians, of which I am from....having preference. FFS why does he open his gub like that? Israel will not be so pleased with that either I'm sure, why can't he let sleeping dogs lie as they say here. He's a fecking nuisance.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Pretty sure Christians are at the top of the Muslim extremists list of who to kill first...Would make sense since their religion doesn't have a huge chunk of followers waging war on America. I wouldn't take them having priority to mean they won't have to be vetted still just that they will get vetted first.

I will give you the point about Jews...He should have included them...I'm sure the Israeli direct line lit up soon after and he will give them preference too.
edit on 28-1-2017 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
A reminder that this is NOT the Mud Pit.

Posts will be removed as deemed appropriate. Remember that posts removed as political trollery automatically count as TWO warnings.

As usual, do NOT reply to this post.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yeah, getting out of line at an airport will do them a lot of good!!! How long before they are jailed, for misbehaving, I wonder?
edit on 28-1-2017 by LadyGreenEyes because: typo

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

or added to a no fly list...

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

It's quite simple imo...

I would only ask these questions from the protesters:

Would you welcome these people in your own home without asking questions first?

Would you let any stranger in your home or near your children without asking the basics of questions first?

its in our nature to have some trust of who we let into our lives.... why is our country any different?

Why is it wrong to question?

It's naive to say you would just open your door to anyone without having concern....

It's reckless and stupid actually.

So, why is it wrong to want to vet foreigners before they are allowed assylum in our country?

It's not an act of racism... it's simply an act of being responsible and cautious.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Good points. I really didn't think Americans would complain about strengthening the vetting process. Most of the turmoil must be coming from people who are Anti-Trump. Sensible logic is pushed to the back burner by hate and hurt. What a shame.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The problem is the media and the left are ignoring the strengthening of the vetting process and the fact its temporary until new guidelines can be developed and put in place.

They are selling it as a permanent ban on Muslims and they are doing it to push a political agenda.

Fear mongering and fake news at its finest.
edit on 28-1-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Trump's order of detainment is both right and wrong. Western countries have every right to filter people coming from certain countries, and to ensure they undergo a detailed investigation before they are allowed to fully enter the country. Common sense needs to be applied, but let us not forget that people (of all nationalities) are detained at all ports if they are considered an undesirable based on certain criteria.

The unfortunate aspect of applying proper immigration controls is that 'good people' are caught up in the net, and no matter how much we would like to see these people fast-tracked through the system, such a thing cannot be allowed. Merit for entering the country has to be investigated. The closing of borders into 'bottle-neck' filters reduces the risk of potential terrorist attacks occurring in one's country, and unfortunately this is the world we live in where these bottle-necks are required.

We have to be realistic and apply it with common sense. The executive order should not have applied to those who were already in the air or on ships when it came into effect, it should only apply to those who were yet to embark upon their journey. Immigration should be severely controlled for all nationalities, we should control our own borders, because the world we live in dictates that we have to.

Those protesting against the order would allow anyone in, because that is their ideology, and it is harmful to the rest of society, because they don't care what actions might be committed by a person entering the country of their choice will do to that country. The attacks in countries on the European continent shows exactly what open borders allows to happen, and these are actions the protesters don't give a damn about. They just want the satisfaction that their ideology is being served.

We should help refugees fleeing war and conflict, and also natural disasters, by giving them protected status at the first safe haven country they come to, but they must be returned back to their country of origin once it is safe for them to return. They do not get to choose which country to go to. Safe haven countries are stipulated, and are usually close to their own country. If they want to go to countries other than safe haven countries, they then become immigrants, and they then come under immigration rules and regulations.

Trump still worries me, because he is a man of dubious thinking, and he will be surrounded with people who will seek to manipulate him in ways that fulfil their own ideological proclivities, so he has to guard against that and the insidious misuse of the power and authority of the office he has come into.

The other aspect we all need to think about is the backlash against his orders once he leaves office. The undoing and rescinding of his orders that may have made America safer against terrorism, but only time will tell. As long as he keeps things pragmatic and full of common sense, most Americans should come to perceive what he might be trying to do. You can only help others from a position of strength and good resources. He says he wants to help the ordinary American man and women, so give him the benefit of doubt and wait and see if he does so.

Our prime minister, Theresa May, is seeking to establish similar things here in the UK. The EU is a dying ideological construct that became an utter failure, and I for one would be more than happy to see it fade away into obscurity. National sovereignty and national identity must always remain in place until the world becomes a place where we can only live peaceably and tolerantly with each other, accepting each others ideological differences. Currently, the world is not that place, because the last 30 or 40 years of political enforcement of globalisation has damaged such a 'coming-together' simply because it was an attempt to turn the world into a corporate empire.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: carewemust

The problem is the media and the left are ignoring the strengthening of the vetting process and the fact its temporary until new guidelines can be developed and put in place.

They are selling it as a permanent ban on Muslims and they are doing it to push a political agenda.

Fear mongering and fake news at its finest.

I really wish President Trump would try an experiment.. to punish, or at least threaten to punish the MSM who SPIN/SKEW/ADJUST reality for the worse. He's being a bold leader in every other area. Might as well call out dishonest MSM outlets at Whitehouse.gov too. Keep a running list of the Who's and what did they lie about.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Trump is not going to back off of what he is doing, because everything is under the laws that are already established by congress.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Good points. I really didn't think Americans would complain about strengthening the vetting process. Most of the turmoil must be coming from people who are Anti-Trump. Sensible logic is pushed to the back burner by hate and hurt. What a shame.

Careful now.... we both just might make too much sense.

Heads could explode and all....😂

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

originally posted by: carewemust

Careful now.... we both just might make too much sense.

Heads could explode and all....😂

I shouldn't joke.... it really isn't funny.

The truth is...it seems that all reason and sensibility has disappeared from the grasp of humanity.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Erupting in Logan in Boston, it is chaos, people were literally in the air and no agencies were contacted before hand. As the Attorney General said, "This is no way to Govern".

Exactly.

Protests are (at this hour) being held at Dulles International Airport (Washington DC) and Houston, TX. Not sure about other international airports... I think I also heard that there was one here in Dallas.

Partial list here, additional airports may be added later

I have seen three Facebook posts so far by lawyers offering free legal representation for anyone affected by the ban.

At least one Federal judge called a halt to Trump's policy

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

It's quite simple imo...

I would only ask these questions from the protesters:

Would you welcome these people in your own home without asking questions first?

Why do you think they aren't vetted?

And why do you think companies that hire foreign workers on visas haven't had the workers vetted when they do all kinds of verification on American workers?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: trb71
Approximately 50 detainees at DFW Airport and a protest growing there now. We know some of the detained is a 77 year old grandmother, parents from Syria coming to visit their kid at SMU College, and a mother who hasnt seen her son since he left Iraq years ago.

Whats happening today is a hideously stupid way of going about things.

That is a nice bleeding heart story. Unfortunately not everybody who comes here has good intentions. Just because 1 person seems to be legit, doesn't mean they are all legit.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Because the vetting process in use was devised by the Obama administration and prevents people doing the vetting from looking at certain things, like social media posts (facebook etc).

Secret US Policy Blocks Agents From Looking at Social Media of Visa Applicants, Former Official Says

The State Department today said that “obviously things went wrong” in the visa background check for one of the San Bernardino shooters -- comments that came in the wake of an ABC News report that said officials by policy generally do not check social media postings of applicants due to civil liberties concerns and therefore would not have seen purported evidence of Tashfeen Malik’s radicalization online.

“It’s difficult to say exactly what [went wrong] and how, but for an individual to be able to come into this country – one who the FBI has maintained had terrorist tendencies or affiliations or sympathies at least for a couple years, and then to propagate an attack like that on our own soil, obviously, I think it’s safe to say there’s going to be lessons learned here,” State Department spokesperson John Kirby told reporters.

Fearing a civil liberties backlash and "bad public relations" for the Obama administration, Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson refused in early 2014 to end the secret U.S. policy that prohibited immigration officials from reviewing the social media messages of all foreign citizens applying for U.S. visas, according to a former senior department official.

"During that time period immigration officials were not allowed to use or review social media as part of the screening process," John Cohen, a former acting under-secretary at DHS for intelligence and analysis. Cohen is now a national security consultant for ABC News.

One current and one former senior counter-terrorism official confirmed Cohen's account about the refusal of DHS to change its policy about the public social media posts of all foreign applicants.

click link for article...

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

or added to a no fly list...

That should be immediate!

I strongly suspect that protecting these people is one reason some want to delay approving Sessions.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join