It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Polling Place Explosions in Baghdad, Bequoba, Basra, Mosul

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
This whole topic is just kind of sadistic. Why is it that it focuses only on the negative side of the election?

The thread is titled:
ALERT! Polling Place Explosions in Baghdad, Bekuba, Basra, Mosul

What other type of news items do you want to be displayed in this thread?

There is a general election thread here:
Polls Open: Iraqis Begin Historic Vote

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
That doesn't have anything to do with what I said. I said this topic seems sadistic, and it does. Why make an entire topic just dealing with the death of the Iraqis or soldiers during the day? Why not combine this with the other topic, and try to present the fairest, most balanced picture of what's going on?

Why is this topic flashing red in the list of news stories, and FredT's isn't?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Geez louise! Just put the US puppet in power already and spare us the charade of a free and fair election (the small parts of Iraq where it is actually safe to vote that is). All this pretend voting just gets people killed. Just get it over with! Allawi wins! Yeah! Now let's figure out a way to get our troops out of this mess.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   

These aren't that many. They've killed more in single attacks. Honestly, considering the threats, this is nothing.

This whole topic is just kind of sadistic. Why is it that it focuses only on the negative side of the election? There were bound to be some attacks, but they have been relatively ineffective. People have turned out in great numbers in spite of what many of the mainstream press was reporting.

It's going to end up being at least 65% of the country. That's a damn good turnout.

Could it be that many of you just want this day to turn out bad so it matches your biased political view?

Well, this isn't really a political story... but I am a conservative. The mainstream press is UNABLE to report the majority of the attacks due to their inability to get "on scene" They are remaining in the safe and secure areas where they are insulated from the carnage that is happening.

I will give you the fact that Zarqawi's threats of the streets running red with blood is not panning out quite the way he may have envisioned it. And I will tell you that I am glad to see the Iraqis voting inspite of the violence, but I am disgusted by the spin that is being placed on it all.

The reporters are being funneled into select polling places to report. Polling places that are sure to be within safe zones. That's like standing in a wind tunnel and reporting on the hurricane while it's bright and sunny outside.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Geez louise! Just put the US puppet in power already and spare us the charade of a free and fair election (the small parts of Iraq where it is actually safe to vote that is). All this pretend voting just gets people killed. Just get it over with! Allawi wins! Yeah! Now let's figure out a way to get our troops out of this mess.

Allawi is sure putting a lot on the line to be a puppet. He's had how many attempts on his life now? What exactly does he have to gain by taking a dangerous job? Nothing.

That's the type of attitude that inspires this topic. The kind that basically just seems to want to see the worst.

[edit on 30-1-2005 by Disturbed Deliverer]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I think the Iraqis who are voting, despite my 'political' sentiments, have a lot of courage. This courage has nothing to do with 'freedom' or 'democracy', but better yet... human indignation.

On the other hand... I do respect those that refuse to participate, given the circumstances.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I dont think the "inky finger" is a good idea at all. I've got this horrible feeling we're going to see a pile of inky fingers showing the price of a vote

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
I dont think the "inky finger" is a good idea at all. I've got this horrible feeling we're going to see a pile of inky fingers showing the price of a vote

Oh, not that is not good. Possible but not good.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   

What exactly does he have to gain by taking a dangerous job? Nothing.

Why don't you ask the CIA that question?

Per the threats: I believe they were overplayed so as to make the seemingly miniscule loss of life a 'victory'.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
This is kind of a negative leaning thread.
Almost like we can't wait to report the failure of this election.

"In other news, thousands upon thousands of Iraqi's, bravely ignored threats of hostile action, proceeded to the polls, and voted."

Baby steps toward a Democratic form of Self Governance.

This is when terrorist insurgent types show their weakness.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Sky are reporting 3 dead in a shoot-out at Kuwaiti, apparently a gun battle with insurgents. No other details at the moment. Who ever wins i think will be viewed as the US's puppet, so dammed if the do damned if they don't.
I wonder how the US would react if the new government demanded the US leave and that they give control of the Oil fields back imediently, do you think the US would comply?

[edit on 30-1-2005 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Why don't you ask the CIA that question?

Per the threats: I believe they were overplayed so as to make the seemingly miniscule loss of life a 'victory'.

I believe that the left would have found a way to spin this election in their favor no matter what happened.

The insurgents don't have the capability to do this. They'd have to be ready to cut the fingers off over 70% of the country.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   

The insurgents don't have the capability to do this. They'd have to be ready to cut the fingers off over 70% of the country.

How do you figure a 70% turnout with a 60% #e population, and a Sunni boycott?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Polling done before hand found that 70% of Iraqis planned to vote. Over 15 million had registered last I heard. And the Sunni boycot does not apply to all of them. The Sunnis aren't robots. Half could very well show up.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I think you guys watched two much Apocalypse Now (ie Kurtz talking about the pile of vaccinated arms). At any rate, if the Sunni's do not vote, then they deserve to be underrepresented. Also alot of the threats towards the voting have come from Al Zarquari's group and not the ex Baathist insurgents.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I meant that it might become "the new beheading" to cut off their fingers and ut videos of it happening as they execute people.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
CNN reporting 2 new suicide bombings for a total of 5. in Baghdad alone. As well as attacks throughout the country.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I feel for those who live in the heartland of the insurgency, the ones who really want to vote but are too afraid to do so. I feel that that somehow by being unable to suppress the insurgency we have let those people down, they deserve democracy as much as the majority.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
I feel for those who live in the heartland of the insurgency, the ones who really want to vote but are too afraid to do so. I feel that that somehow by being unable to suppress the insurgency we have let those people down, they deserve democracy as much as the majority.

I feel the same way Janus. I wish they could vote in an environment free of danger but due to the structure in many area's the result is a done deal.

I wonder how many write-ins Saddam will get.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Sadly I have to report another suicide bomb attack at a polling station in Baghdad. A minimum of 6 people have been killed which takes todays total to over 20.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join