It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Polling Place Explosions in Baghdad, Bequoba, Basra, Mosul

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Allawi voted about 5 minutes ago

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Live coverage from CNN... reporting a "steady thumping of mortar fire" in Baghdad.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Seems like the attacks are futile. Not affecting the process greatly at all. I heard a rocket actually landed in a river.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by RPVillanova
Seems like the attacks are futile. Not affecting the process greatly at all. I heard a rocket actually landed in a river.

The nature of the attacks is to terrorise the people into not voting. I think they're going to succeed.

Sigh... as I'm writing this we get more news..

Reports: Suicide Bomber Blows Himself Up In Voter Queue. No reports on casualties at the moment.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Voting still going on as normal

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
To the person who asked why the insurgents would want to attack before 1:

I could be wrong, but it may have something to do with the time the Western media needs to get their stories out. They moniter the media over here. Most attacks in Iraq happen in the morning, in time for the media to pick the stories up and make headlines.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
RP:

What 'process' is it exactly that you are referring to?

Allawi voted......? Are you joking?

...Thank you Nerdling for keeping us posted. I don't have cable...

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I wonder if the new Iraqi democracy will officially declare war on Musab Al Zarqawi, Osama bin Laden and their ilk.

edit:

Allawi voted......? Are you joking?

No, im not joking, are you?

[edit on 30-1-2005 by RPVillanova]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
It's great that the Iraqis are voting amid all the violence. I am just ashamed that it is all being spun to make the American president look good. The news networks are down playing the violence and hyping the turnout all to reaffirm GWB's statement in his Saturday radion broadcast that simply voting is a victory.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
No... I'm Facetious, nice to meet you.

If you call democracy puppets, barbed wire and pat downs, I wonder what you would call a police state?

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I wonder if the new Iraqi democracy will officially declare war on Musab Al Zarqawi, Osama bin Laden and their ilk

This is still a transistional government that is being elected. They have the responsability of appointing a president, 2 vice Presidents and most importantly drafting a constitution which will later be voted on in a referendum. A constitutionally elected government is schedualed to be in place by 31 December 2005.

It's also interesting to note the Kurds are electing a semi-automous parliament with 111 seats in the north of the country.

-raven

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   

It's great that the Iraqis are voting amid all the violence. I am just ashamed that it is all being spun to make the American president look good. The news networks are down playing the violence and hyping the turnout all to reaffirm GWB's statement in his Saturday radion broadcast that simply voting is a victory.

I don't think its being spun to make Bush look good. I just think the liberal media is surprised to find that the threats of the insurgents have been relatively empty.

The streets certainly aren't flooding with blood as many predicted...

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
CNN is currently showing a press conference with the Iraqi Election Comission. They are downplaying reports of attacks on polling places. Terming it simply as "random shootings" And reassuring people that they have in place adequite security plans to protect polling places.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The lack of casualties kind of does show that this is random shooting. They can't get very close to the polling stations in most cases, so fire out of range and hope for a lucky shot.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
The lack of casualties kind of does show that this is random shooting. They can't get very close to the polling stations in most cases, so fire out of range and hope for a lucky shot.

There are already 10 confirmed dead.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
What I am hearing... no links yet, is that these attacks are not just random gunfire, but more calculated attacks. Suicide bombers as well as mortar and gunfire.

Officials in the presser are dodging direct questions about specific attacks.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
How many die on a normal day? I'm going to bet it's been around that. I don't know about what time it is in Iraq, but I don't think attacks will last all day. These insurgents attack mostly early on in the day, and tend to go quiet.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Their are many more then usual deaths...

BBC
At least five people, including one policeman, have died in two attacks and there were explosions elsewhere.

In Baghdad's Sadr City, at least four people died when a mortar struck a polling station. At least seven people were wounded.

These attacks are in addition to the original report

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
How many die on a normal day? I'm going to bet it's been around that. I don't know about what time it is in Iraq, but I don't think attacks will last all day. These insurgents attack mostly early on in the day, and tend to go quiet.

It's 10:50am in Baghdad right now.
Here's some of what's happened so far this morning:

MSNBC
The suicide attack in western Baghdad claimed the life of one policeman and wounded several other people, while mortar attacks in Khan al-Mahawil, 40 miles south of Baghdad, killed another policeman at a polling station.

And a mortar round missed a polling center and hit a nearby home in southwestern Baghdad, killing two people and wounding three others, police Capt. Mohammed Taha said.

Three people were killed when mortars landed near a polling station in Sadr City, the heart of Baghdad’s Shiite Muslim community. Seven to eight others were wounded, police said. Two mortars hit near the Ministry of Interior on the city’s eastern edge, one witness said.

Heavy explosions and dozens of mortar attacks broke out across several other cities, including Baquoba, Basra and Mosul.

[edit on 30-1-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
These aren't that many. They've killed more in single attacks. Honestly, considering the threats, this is nothing.

This whole topic is just kind of sadistic. Why is it that it focuses only on the negative side of the election? There were bound to be some attacks, but they have been relatively ineffective. People have turned out in great numbers in spite of what many of the mainstream press was reporting.

It's going to end up being at least 65% of the country. That's a damn good turnout.

Could it be that many of you just want this day to turn out bad so it matches your biased political view?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join