It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: New York Times is 'fake news'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: justneo

That may be

First, I think there might be some debate as to whether it would be slander or libel.

In any case, in the immortal words of Perry Mason, "Truth is an affirmative defense against libel." All Trump would have to establish is that the NYT knowingly published something that wasn't true. Assuming there is a legal definition of "fake news" that includes knowingly publishing inaccurate information.

NOT TRUE - President Trump would have to prove ACTUAL MALICE (NY v. Sullivan) since the conduct involves a public figure and the press. To my knowledge, the actual malice standard hasn't been met, but I'm no lawyer. Point being that the standard of proof is more rigid than merely posting knowingly false information unless there was actual malice involved.

ganjoa
edit on 28-1-2017 by ganjoa because: screwed up quote

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I just wish he was FAKE NEWS! and the real President would emerge from behind the curtain.
If it isn't from @realDonaldTrump then of course it's FAKE NEWS!

Amen, brother, amen...

Though some folks really do love and admire him and think he's doing an awesome job, so there's that.

The "divide" is more than the Grand Canyon, more like from Earth to the Moon (Mars??)

peace,

AB

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It means if it's an unflattering article or news story, it's fake news.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Now THAT post was Fake News..........

www.americanthinker.com...

edit on 28-1-2017 by WilliamtheResolute because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
LOL

In the meantime, he's got people away from discussing the 4 or 5 important phone calls to world leaders today including Putin.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
a reply to: justneo

That may be

First, I think there might be some debate as to whether it would be slander or libel.

In any case, in the immortal words of Perry Mason, "Truth is an affirmative defense against libel." All Trump would have to establish is that the NYT knowingly published something that wasn't true. Assuming there is a legal definition of "fake news" that includes knowingly publishing inaccurate information.

NOT TRUE - President Trump would have to prove ACTUAL MALICE (NY v. Sullivan) since the conduct involves a public figure and the press. To my knowledge, the actual malice standard hasn't been met, but I'm no lawyer. Point being that the standard of proof is more rigid than merely posting knowingly false information unless there was actual malice involved.

ganjoa

I would agree with you if Trump were suing the NYT, but if the the NYT is suing Trump for slander or libel for saying they print "fake news" then Trump would only need to establish that they did indeed print "fake news." Trump would not have to prove malice unless malice was part of the legal definition of "fake news." As the party filing suit, the burden of proof would be on the NYT to establish that they did not print fake news, Trump knew they didn't publish fake news, and his comments were malicious.

Again, it all depends on the legal definition of "fake news" if there is one.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Doesn't your constitution contain a part about free speech , Trump is trying to curtail freedom of speech but you're all caught up in his "fake news" nonsense.
The press is the press , some good , some bad but it is vital for a healthy democracy to have a press that is free to state its piece , if it's wrong it can be shown to be but if it's right it serves the purpose for which it is intended.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
Perhaps one thing both sides can come together on is doing enough research before we form opinions. I generally trust the NYT, but they were limp and obscure on reporting all Hillary's failings. Had to read the Brad Blog and Democracy Now to get a fully accurate picture. Fox news I generally don't read, but they do sometimes break stories that more liberal outlets are silent about.

That said, it's really creepy how Trump calls almost all news fake that he didn't say himself, or that isn't flattering to him. Kim Jong Un does the same thing.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I'm not sure how Trump is trying to curtail free speech here. But let's not forget that it was main stream media outlets like CNN and NYT that started slinging the fake news accusations. Ostensibly, it was an attempt to discredit any discussion about Pizzagate. Coincidentally, social media sites started editing and censoring posts about Pizzagate. Even ATS was labeled as a fake news site for a time. A decision was made to limit Pizzagate discussions on ATS. Then, again coincidentally, the fake news designation was lifted.

If the NYT is unhappy with the fake news label, well, glass houses, stones, etc.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
Trump: New York Times is 'fake news'

I think that it is by now rather clear that any criticism of L'enfant Terrible Trump is either a 'lie', 'unfair', or 'fake news', met with personal attack!

That seems to be the limit to his emotional/intellectual maturity.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join