It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: New York Times is 'fake news'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

President Donald Trump on Saturday railed against the New York Times and the Washington Post on Twitter, continuing his longstanding assault on media outlets.

The president labeled the Times as "fake news," and said that it and the Washington Post's coverage of Trump has been "so false and angry."

"The failing @nytimes has been wrong about me from the very beginning. Said I would lose the primaries, then the general election. FAKE NEWS!" Trump tweeted at 8:04 a.m.

SOURCE

I think the tweet quoted above could be understood two different ways. Is Trump saying that the primaries and the general election were fake news, or is he saying that The New York Times is fake news? In my opinion it can be understood either way.

I believe this story is newsworthy for several reasons. Does the tweet quoted above put Trump at risk for a libel lawsuit? Trump seems to be getting more brash with his comments and tweets. A lot of people felt he went too far just in the last couple of days by saying "Madonna is disgusting." Now he appears to be asserting that The New York Times is fake news.

Where is this headed? Is Trump going to continue this trend of being increasingly outlandish with his comments?
edit on 28-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
No Donald nailed it, Madonna is disgusting in many ways. She promised blow jobs for Hillary votes and bragged about how good she was at it. That my friend is disgusting.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I think what Donald is trying to say is that, News outlets lied to the public about the whole presidential race.

News outlet's used their opinions and promoted them as facts which obviously were not facts considering what ever they said the opposite happened.
And we know this because well Trump won.

Fake news is a term used for some one or something who is trying to mislead, confuse or blatantly lie to the reader.

If you've been following websites like this one for a while or any alternative outlet to gather News its not hard to see that msm have lied lied and lied some more to push what ever agenda they need too usually for the governments own agendas.

But now you have the government and the president calling them out.
Its about time some one with the power stands up to these instigators of fake News.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: justneo

That may be what he meant. My question is the following:

If Trump is sued for libel over this, can he use what you just explained as his defense?

I don't think he can, but I'm not an expert on libel laws by any means. My point is that he probably shouldn't be using Twitter to explain something as nuanced as what you just described. I realize losing a libel lawsuit means little to Trump financially, but it sure would make him and the U.S. look bad.

Could he pardon himself for committing libel?

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Nobody thought Madonna saying she thought about blowing up the white house was appropriate which is worse? She is disgusting. Out of context my foot...how many contexts can blowing a building up have.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

A third understanding of this is "The NYT's promotes FAKE NEWS about me!"

I think that's what he's getting at. I also think it was a condemnation of the paper because of his perception that it went down that way.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Madonna is over the top. Sometimes she thinks she's being funny (i.e. stand up comedian) when she's just not. The BJ comment was gross, yes, and her out-of-context comments from the Women's March inflamed controversy.

She's been excommunicated from the Catholic Church several times (I didn't know that could happen unless they reinstated her and then re-excommunicated her). She thrives on being outrageous.

I don't see her as being the best "voice" for something like "the women's march" but that's just my opinion. S

Now for citizen DJT to tweet that she is "disgusting" is one thing. For the President of the United States to tweet that she is "disgusting" is a whole other deal. Why not strive to deal with more important things than Madonna's words? Oh right. He can't. He's a counter=puncher who has to go after every insult.

Gee, if the left wants to distract him, I guess all they have to do is say outrageous and "disgusting" things aimed in his direction. *dusts off hands* Mission accomplished!

AB

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
No Donald nailed it, Madonna is disgusting in many ways. She promised blow jobs for Hillary votes and bragged about how good she was at it. That my friend is disgusting.

...and then she reneged and left all those Hillary voters hanging.

BTW: Is it true that Rosie O'Donnell promised to NOT blow anyone who votes for Hillary?

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

If Trump is sued for libel over this, can he use what you just explained as his defense?

I don't think he can, but I'm not an expert on libel laws by any means. My point is that he probably shouldn't be using Twitter to explain something as nuanced as what you just described. I realize losing a libel lawsuit means little to Trump financially, but it sure would make him and the U.S. look bad.

Why would Trump be sued, he isn't the one lying.

He has more of a chance at suing them for all the lies they have said about him personally, calling him a nazi is just the tip of it.

Its one thing to criticize his campaign but it's a whole other level lying about him on a personal level.

The reason why is takes his comments to Twitter, is because instead of holding a massive Press conference that wastes money and time he can talk to the whole world from his own bed if it wanted to and the media eats it up and runs with it.

He is using the internet to his own advantage, he would he stupid not to.

So to answer your question I really can't considering he would be the one doing the suing and not the other way around.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I just wish he was FAKE NEWS! and the real President would emerge from behind the curtain.
If it isn't from @realDonaldTrump then of course it's FAKE NEWS!

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

What's he named now: CNN, WaPo, and the NY Times??

I'd say Trump has a pretty discerning eye. Those three flooded us with lies. There is no doubt of it.

And CNN ... they were flat-out busted green-screening Fake News. How anyone could ever separate them from other tabloid media was the joke in my mind.

If I ran a news agency, I would fire everyone in the Opinion Pages department, just to make sure my business was never associated with what serves as news today.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Trump can't handle a free press , he demonstrated that yesterday.

"Fake News" is an agenda from those who wish to stifle criticism.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I could feel the anger emanating from Trump from here. "There goes that relationship." Was he talking about his relationship with May? I don't even think the most devout Trumpettes around here could defend that. It looks to me like all the evidence points to Trump becoming increasingly undiplomatic and brash.

Trump speech dubbed from Hitler

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

First, I think there might be some debate as to whether it would be slander or libel.

In any case, in the immortal words of Perry Mason, "Truth is an affirmative defense against libel." All Trump would have to establish is that the NYT knowingly published something that wasn't true. Assuming there is a legal definition of "fake news" that includes knowingly publishing inaccurate information.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Trump is such a triggered little crybaby. He's letting his ego paint him as a parody of himself...so sad, really really really sad, important people tell me it's sad. very very important people.
edit on 28-1-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Trump is such a triggered little crybaby. He's letting his ego paint him as a parody of himself...so sad, really really really sad, important people tell me it's sad. very very important people.

Is it fair to find Trump 100% at fault for his distrust of the NYT and WaPo? The Podesta emails exposed both organizations as Hillary shills who used every opportunity to cast aspersions on Trump. As far as a free and independent press I think that ship sailed when corporations like Amazon were allowed to purchase newspapers....while accepting $600 million from the CIA. I don't think Trump protests too much.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
There's no doubt that Trump committed libel in this case in my humble opinion.

.@realDonaldTrump Fact check: @nytimes subscribers & audience at all-time highs. Supporting independent journalism matters.

SOURCE

Trump Blasts NY Times, Washington Post in Typo-Riddled Tweetstorm

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute

originally posted by: olaru12

Is it fair to find Trump 100% at fault for his distrust of the NYT and WaPo? The Podesta emails exposed both organizations as Hillary shills who used every opportunity to cast aspersions on Trump. As far as a free and independent press I think that ship sailed when corporations like Amazon were allowed to purchase newspapers....while accepting $600 million from the CIA. I don't think Trump protests too much.

You didn't hear Obama whining about Rush, Hannity, Savage, Ingraham, Prager, Hewitt, Shapiro or any of the other AM conservative crybabies.

It's time for Trump to put on his big boy panties and "man up"

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What?
Thats all Obama did...blame Fox news, Rush and Hannity...where have you been living the last 8 years. He constantly blamed others.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Snarl
Trump can't handle a free press , he demonstrated that yesterday.

Did CNN green screen Fake News? Yes ... or ... No??

And I'd guess you'd consider Brian Williams' lies the simple efforts of a Free Press.

Ahhhhahahahahaha!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join