It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Against my own predictions - I actually like Theresa May

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

The government are not supposed to be in a position to tell workers or citizens to play ball, or suffer things like pit closures as a result. The people are supposed to be more powerful by several orders of magnitude, than those who administrate on their behalf. We speak, they obey. We demand respect, they KNEEL at our feet. They are our SERVANTS, NOT the other way around. They needed to learn as much then, and they need to now. They are not our leaders, they are not our chief, they do not hold power over us. They are supposed to be our mouthpiece, our protection, our creatures to order as we see fit. They are supposed to be the mechanism by which we avoid the tyranny of monarchs, AND the power of corporations.

They are there to represent US, not themselves, not people who are like them, not people with big bank balances at the expense of the rest of us, but represent the people, the overwhelming majority of REGULAR folk from the street. They failed then, and are failing now. They are not behaving like the servants they are supposed to be, and they MUST, or else eventually, they will bring about their own downfall, to all our cost.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
a reply to: TrueBrit

Hey TrueBrit, totally disagree regarding Thatcher. There is certainly a level of antipathy towards her but on the other hand she won 3 elections in a row - she can't have been all that unpopular can she?

And if you take the left leaning spectacles off for a sec, as an honest gent you have to admit that the Poll Tax was actually less intrustrive than Council Tax (Blair's Labour).

As for the miners, i am sick to death of this argument. Even most miners don't actually realise that the Coal Board wanted far more pit closures than Thatcher forced through and that Thatcher actually tried to avoid many closures. The intransigence of the Miners Union left no alternative. I will not argue that the whole thing was badly handled but the Left will sooner or later have to acknowledge that they played a huge role in how it all eventually played out.

This ^

new topics

<< 1   >>

join