It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump refugee ban: 'arrivals from targeted countries stopped at US airports'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   

There are already claims that Trump’s executive order banning immigration from some Muslim countries is preventing refugees and professionals from travelling into the US.

The Department of Homeland Security issued a directive at 4:30pm ordering the Customs and Border Protection to enforce the executive order.

The Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee said people who had landed after that had been blocked and told they had to return to their point of origin.

Donald Trump refugee ban: 'arrivals from targeted countries stopped at US airports'

And to think a week ago some people on this forum were still repeating the "the POTUS has no real power" line. I don't think that can ever be questioned again.

The POTUS has tons of power if they choose to use it. I cannot recall reading a story such as the one linked above. I realize there have been many executive actions that have had far-reaching impacts, but I don't recall any of them affecting common people's lives both within and without the U.S. this much and this soon.

This is what it's like to not have a puppet as POTUS. It's the first time that's happened in my lifetime. I feel excited and a bit fearful simultaneously.

I think the following is noteworthy.

President Trump has signed an executive order that bans citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries in the Middle East from entering the United States for 90 days, according to the White House. His proposed list doesn’t include Muslim-majority countries where his Trump Organization has done business or pursued potential deals. Properties include golf courses in the United Arab Emirates and two luxury towers operating in Turkey.

Trump’s Immigration Ban Excludes Countries With Business Ties

edit on 28-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   
But i still bet saudis are pouring in..........

A ban is pointless until Saudi Arabia is added to that list!

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

At first glance that would seem correct... However they just build Wahhabi Mosque to preach their hate therefore they do not have to get their hands dirty.

After 9/11 was when they should have been drawn and quartered or at least the responsible parties outed.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Blimey, I was detained and sent back to Australia, just last year - "herp derp you might be wanting to work here so ummm duhh... no"

I have no chance now...

Who'd be a 40+ white Aussie male, with a letter of invitation, and a job back home.

I should have donned a burqa and screamed a lot, I'd have been let in under obama...

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Yes apparently he has the power to force innocent Syrian families to continue to be blown up to bits while refusing to offer them any kind of sanctuary.

Sad.

+28 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Yes apparently he has the power to force innocent Syrian families to continue to be blown up to bits while refusing to offer them any kind of sanctuary.

Sad.

you are standing at your front window. You see rival bikie gangs shoot it out, killing each other. You open your front door and yell "Hey guys come inside for some lemonade!"

what do you think will happen? Oh sure your next door neighbour was the one who called the bad bikies to fight the quiet ones.. but hey - who do you know is who?

But meh, as long asyour front door is open to the bikies, and all..

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

One in three Saudi air raids on Yemen hit civilian sites, data shows

More than one-third of all Saudi-led air raids on Yemen have hit civilian sites, such as school buildings, hospitals, markets, mosques and economic infrastructure, according to the most comprehensive survey of the conflict.

The findings, revealed by the Guardian on Friday, contrast with claims by the Saudi government, backed by its US and British allies, that Riyadh is seeking to minimise civilian casualties.
Source

Can anyone explain how that is not terrorism? Is it not terrorism because a member of the United Nations is doing it?

The FBI uses this definition [of terrorism]: "Terrorism is the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."
LINK

I suppose the only part of the FBI's definition of terrorism that may be in dispute concerning Saudi Arabia's bombings in Yemen is whether or not their actions are "unlawful." I'll leave that up to the experts, but based on my understanding of international law, I believe Saudi Arabia's actions in Yemen are "unlawful." What difference should it make if they're actually "unlawful" or not? The actions are indefensibly evil either way.

How does the United States react to that? A few Senators speak out, there's some political theater, and the United States promptly makes a $1.15 billion arms transfer to Saudi Arabia.

“Why has Saudi Arabia been largely immune from direct public criticism from political leaders simply because they are a few degrees separated from the terrorists who are often inspired by the ideology their money helps to spread?” Murphy said at the time. “There’s growing evidence that our support for Saudi-led military campaigns in places like Yemen are prolonging humanitarian misery and aiding extremism.”

“There’s an American imprint on every civilian life lost in Yemen,” Murphy told CNN in August. “Because, though the Saudis are actually dropping the bombs from their planes, they couldn’t do it without the United States.”
Senator Chris Murphy: US support for Saudi Arabia 'can't be unconditional'

Sad.

Muslim Brotherhood: Trump victory a ‘disaster’

Donald Trump’s victory in the US elections is a “disaster” for the Arab and Muslim world, a Muslim Brotherhood spokesperson said today.

Mamdouh Al-Muneer, a member of the supreme body of the Freedom and Justice Party, wrote on social media that the results of the elections were a catastrophe as a “racist” has ascended to the White House.
SOURCE

Trump wants to fight radical Islam and seal up the borders of the United States. How is that a “disaster” for the Arab and Muslim world?

Is anyone calling the Arab states of the Persian Gulf (Kuwait, Bahrain, Iraq, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE)) racist for turning down Syrian refugees?

Arab monarchies turn down Syrian refugees over security threat

Consider the rationale those countries have for not taking in more refugees.

Despite the fact that the Gulf states could take it refugees, they will not, Corabatir said. "In reality, if you look at political structure and demographics of the countries, they will never take in a million refugees," he said, noting that Syrians were perceived as a "destabilizing element."
SOURCE

Their rationale for not taking in more refugees is the same as Trump's rationale: it's a security threat. There's no racism involved. The stance has nothing to do with a particular religion.

A lot of the Muslim world sees the issue exactly the same way Trump does because it's the rational way to see the situation.
edit on 28-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Sad.

What a silly statement.
Perhaps your ire should be towards radical islamic terrorists actually doing the blowing up.
You also missed the part of the executive order where Trump referenced safe zones. Protection in their own country instead of risking American lives by letting in terrorists just to placate bleeding heart liberals.
The same bleeding heart liberals who don't give a stuff about oppression in islamic countries, but march because they think women in the US are oppressed.

edit on 28/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

You are at the mall shopping. A man walks in with a legally bought gun and starts shooting innocent people dead.

Lots of people have guns. Most probably won't go in shopping malls to kill others, but how do we know who will?

But meh, as long as everyone gets to have their gunz...

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Sad.

Having personally dealt with refugee/Migrants in London so I ask how would you know where they actually come from?, in the UK a large proportion of migrants I come into contact with give false information regarding Heritage. Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt, Pakistan, Eritrea Nigeria etc etc etc are not at war nor are the natives entitled to refugee status.. However, claim Syrian heritage and the mandate for entry is to have zero documents and simple "say" what the authorities want to hear and it is a totally different story..

I am sure you have heard the situation that unfolded a few months back where a large number of Migrants that claimed to be "children" from Syria where actually men of working age in their late 20's..

Also for a family to flee Syria they would have had to reach somewhere like Greece first so was asylum applied for there or are there chartered flights from Damascus to the USA?.

I have meet a good number of Syrian refugees and they should be protected without doubt, the problem is that there are millions of other people using this situation to take advantage and all it does is undermines the real needs of true refugees.
Syria is also made up of many peoples with any number of belief systems, I cannot imagine women and children from say the Yazidi tribe being turned away..

Taking control of this situation is a very much needed that way the real refugees in real danger can get the help they need.

RA

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

Is anyone calling the Arab states of the Persian Gulf (Kuwait, Bahrain, Iraq, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE)) racist for turning down Syrian refugees?

Those are countries known for violating human rights. This is America. We are supposed to be better.

Their rationale for not taking in more refugees is the same as Trump's rationale: it's a security threat. There's no racism involved. The stance has nothing to do with a particular religion.

What is Trump going to do about the biggest terrorist threat we have - radicalization of Muslims already living in America?Google how many refugees have been responsible for terrorist attacks in America.
edit on 28-1-2017 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

America has some of the strictest vetting systems for refugees. I am not advocating that we start letting people in willy nilly. I am simply advocating for continuing to allow refugees in using our existing vetting system. It's worked very well so far.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Sad.

In that case, I expect you're in full support of Trump taking care of ISIS... You know, so those innocent Syrian families won't get blown up anymore.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
dp !
edit on 28-1-2017 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Trump's country, Trump's rules.

Why he hasn't put Saudi Arabia on the list we'll never know...
But we can speculate.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

You are at the mall shopping. A man walks in with a legally bought gun and starts shooting innocent people dead.

Lots of people have guns. Most probably won't go in shopping malls to kill others, but how do we know who will?

Nice try.

Come to Australia and see how it works. If I die using my fists, then I die well. I don't need a second amendment, though I wish we had one, and that our government had not been so panzy as to enact gun law legislation after the port arthur massacre.

But me? I have feet and fists.. knees and elbows. and I can give one hell of an glasgow kiss.

Your analogy by the way is so off the mark it's got the stench of try hard on it. My analogy was to show you, you let the wrong people in your house, you're gonna be the one screaming for help later on.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Yeah? And if guns were illegal, the person who wanted to shoot up the mall would just buy one illegally. You do realize making drugs illegal doesn't stop people from being able to buy them, right? The same goes for guns. They don't just *poof* out of existence. Making guns illegal just prevents law-abiding people from owning them.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

My analogy is that it is not smart to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Common sense gun restrictions help to weed out the bad guys from legally buying guns while still allowing the law abiders to have them, and vetting helps to weed out the bad guys from coming over here while still allowing sanctuary for the innocent.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

And banning all Muslims refugees just prevents innocent people from sanctuary.

You do realize that banning Muslims won't stop the ones born here from getting radicalized?

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

My analogy is that it is not smart to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Common sense gun restrictions help to weed out the bad guys from legally buying guns while still allowing the law abiders to have them, and vetting helps to weed out the bad guys from coming over here while still allowing sanctuary for the innocent.

So allowing every maniac on the planet to have a gun is a bad idea. Vet them, yeah?

Geee Vetting refugees... whoda thunk it...

Point made..

eta - I dont get your stance. let them all in, or vet them? ensure they are of good moral character?

Or let them all in, because holding people in a comfortable place while being processed, is so inhumane every should just be let in?

I spent 13 hours after a 30 hours transit, in a small room with a bunch of other people who didnt speak English, when I tried to tour the US last year.

Good enough for an ally citizen? let the bleeding hearts boo hoo, you dont seem to get the global threat. and Im friggen Australian, what am I gonna do, throw a boomerang and eat fish and chips, with a miss macs meat pie?

edit on 28-1-2017 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join