It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Calling bull----’: University course teaches how to identify BS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
www.rt.com...

Professors at a university in Seattle, Washington are calling out “bullsh*t,” offering students a course on identifying “BS.” The pair have already seen huge interest in the spring course, which would cover topics including publication bias and fake news.
“Can you see the problem with the latest New York Times or Washington Post article fawning over some startup's big data analytics?” the course website reads. Developed by two professors from the University of Washington, ‘Calling Bullsh*t’ aims to enlighten its students on how to “identify BS, sift through the BS, to be able to respond to BS,” the professors told KOMO.

Apparently we had a broken link "correlation does not imply causation" on our syllabus. Here's what you all were missing. #[email protected]/YMQIMx8A87
— Calling Bull# (@callin_bull) January 14, 2017

The pair behind the course claim it is not solely political, but instead will focus on BS clad in “trappings of scholarly discourse,” helping students see the truth hidden behind big words and fancy algorithms.

A Course to de-Bullsh*t People lol who would have thought?
I can see more and more of this happening in the months to come as the truth is laid out for all to see.

edit on Sat Jan 28 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: minor cleanup of title

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: LuXTeN

People have to be re-taught how to think? Crazy times.

Nice avatar pic Carmen Sandiego!

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yes they really do, I hope it happens soon before the planet implodes.

Thanks, Carmen needs a break from her escapades for an hour or two!
This stuff is good

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   

I had a professor who admitted that the Liberal Coastal Elites dominated Academia and the Media and he himself is not a conspiracy theorist (Ex. would laugh at you if you deny Climate Change) and called Trump "Man Baby"

He only spoke about this to a few people because he will lose his reputation and possibly his job if he openly voice his concerns.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Oh man, I think we should start a thread that outlines how to identify BS, and Sticky it on the Front Page, or somewhere where it will get alot of attention.

I was gonna say that we should make it a Mandatory read, but that just doesn't jive well while conspiracy theorists methinks.

For one, i know that if I'm told something is Mandatory, I would be like " Fight the MAN, man!"

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I don't think it is a secret. Whatever it takes to keep the population dull.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Sourcery

hmm nice idea that, I'm sure it would receive a lot of hits.

I had to make a serious choice between this thread and man thongs. I felt this one worked much better.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Well to you and many conspiracy types it's not a secret. To non conspiracy types, it's a shocking revelation.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
have to redo this ...

edit on 28-1-2017 by LuXTeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I'd wager than non CT types and just people in general wouldn't call the bias in education anything but education.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Anyway it could have ended up like this.

And This isn't very nice.

I'm so glad we shifted time lines. 'mostly' we're still 'here'.

I needed a laugh even if only for self entertainment.

The Great Undoing!
edit on 28-1-2017 by LuXTeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

IMO it's a pipedream. Perhaps I'm just a pessimist but I only see actions getting stupider and people getting angrier.

Total war or immense tragedy. I hope neither.

Welcome back Carmen!

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Damn wish thought of that couldve made fortune off all the idiots .

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Lol thanks Jin.

Remember when I said Trump would win? I always knew he would, like I know this is going to be resolved.

I just know, it's like I feel it.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

You still can!

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The course might help some.

But perhaps too many are BS'd beyond help and this might damage them further !!

Maybe this should be 1st year high school ?

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

People have to be re-taught how to think? Crazy times.

Nice avatar pic Carmen Sandiego!

I grew up in an extended family. Critical thinking was a standard in life lessons.

My grandmother was born to the Res, so she taught us almost all our decisions and actions are connected to something, because we don't live in a vacuum.

A simple thing like where to plant and why. When and how to harvest to best increase the chances of a return crop the following year. There was a when an a why for just about everything. Parents don't have the time to spend with their children teaching them anything beyond the basics, and grandparents, aunts, uncles, or even close friends are not common members of an average American home anymore.

Children are left to learn from institutions and the WWW. Unfortunately neither of these are concerned for what is best for the child or the family.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I agree. The quality of life is being traded for toys and dollars...No sense.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I remember a time when that sort of thinking was taught to children, and was considered part of learning and growing up! I wonder what sort of criteria they will use, and if they have any biases that will influence their own course?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

That remains to be seen, there's going to be a lot of pushing from the opposition i think. But it's a process that's taken a step forwards and in the right direction.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join