It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Least 6 Journalists Face Felony Riot Charges Due to Proximity

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I know the felony riot charges against many people were covered in another thread and journalists mentioned. I want to talk about the journalists separately. This is is a big topic and even more chilling in regard to the journalists.

Daily Kos

You can like the source or not, it's still true.

The charges against the journalists — Evan Engel, Alexander Rubinstein, Jack Keller, Matthew Hopard, Shay Horse and Aaron Cantu — have been denounced by organizations dedicated to press freedom. All of those arrested have denied participating in the violence.

The journalists in question are being arrested for being around the violent parts of the protests—a guilt by proximity.

Among other issues in the last 6 days, I am extremely concerned by this.

You can watch the violence in the protest here. Note that in these protest clips there are a handful of of people doing violent things at certain points and then everybody else is just protesting the way you would imagine normal Americans would. The very end of the clip shows a view of the big bashing of a Bank of America set of windows and a Starbucks—all on the same street, at the bottom of the same building. If you look closely you can see people covering this, with cameras and the like. Those people are under no legal obligation to step in the way of idiots with rocks and pipes to stop them from beating up buildings. You want to use their footage to help identify “rioters,” that’s one thing. You want to make it illegal to show what’s happening in the streets, that’s fascism.

Various 'gag orders' and arrests of members of the press on felony charges are more than concerning, it is alarming. For some it is frightening.

I am not 'triggered', just to head off at the pass such accusations. I am dismayed and becoming angry.

Here is the NY Times link.

These are definitely times that should not be happening. But, many were warned.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
If it is shown that these people were not directly involved, they will be released and charges dropped.

Police on a scene like that can't be responsible for making decisions about who's who.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

They are being charged as per DC Statute:

§ 22–1322. Rioting or inciting to riot. (a) A riot in the District of Columbia is a public disturbance involving an assemblage of 5 or more persons which by tumultuous and violent conduct or the threat thereof creates grave danger of damage or injury to property or persons.

(b) Whoever willfully engages in a riot in the District of Columbia shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.

(c) Whoever willfully incites or urges other persons to engage in a riot shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.

(d) If in the course and as a result of a riot a person suffers serious bodily harm or there is property damage in excess of $5,000, every person who willfully incited or urged others to engage in the riot shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.

beta.code.dccouncil.us...

From your source:

Mr. Engel, a Brooklyn-based journalist who writes for Vocativ, a media and technology outlet, was among those charged with felony rioting and released. He said by email on Wednesday that he was unable to comment on the case since it was active, but that he was looking forward to the day he could say more.

Missing information. I'm fairly sure they will be acquitted unless there is more evidence not being reported.

If you are insinuating that this is a result of the current administration?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

You do not know why they were charged, you are assuming you know.

Why not wait for the evidence!

If there is none ... then they will walk out of the court and be in a lovely position to sue the state.

There may be more to it than what you know.

Oh and

you just can't resist the dig, can you.

P

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Evan Engel had his charges dropped.

If the others didn't incite or participate in rioting, their charges will be dropped too.

Has nothing to do with freedom of the press. It was cops trying to contain all the nutty anarchists who were destroying the streets. Hence 200+ arrests.
edit on 27-1-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Let me de-liberalize this article from NYT.

Here's the important part...

“basically identified a location that had problems and arrested everyone in that location.”

It's not some attack on the press.

I would be surprised if they didn't run into the crowd, just to play victim.

Just about on par with these wackadoos.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
If it is shown that these people were not directly involved, they will be released and charges dropped.

Police on a scene like that can't be responsible for making decisions about who's who.

Will? They can't be responsible for recognizing people standing with cameras? Some with sound crews? Please.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

If you are insinuating that this is a result of the current administration?

I certainly am.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
They`ll have their day in court, if there isn`t enough evidence to convict them they`ll go free.

They may not even have to go to court if the charges are dropped.

In big riots like the one in D.C. the police often scoop up everyone in the area and let the states attorney decide who to prosecute and who to release.

I`m sure they aren`t the first journalist to ever be arrested at a riot.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

You do not know why they were charged, you are assuming you know.

Why not wait for the evidence!

If there is none ... then they will walk out of the court and be in a lovely position to sue the state.

There may be more to it than what you know.

Oh and

you just can't resist the dig, can you.

P

They shouldn't have been arrested. It was obvious they were not rioting. There is no more to it.

It's not a dig, it is something people were warned about. If I tell you, that, for example, tomorrow it will rain heavily when you walk out of your door, whatever time it is you normally leave and you should take an umbrella. You fail to take the umbrella and you become completely soaked, I may say, "I told you to take an umbrella." It is not a dig. It is a fact.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Let me de-liberalize this article from NYT.

Here's the important part...

“basically identified a location that had problems and arrested everyone in that location.”

It's not some attack on the press.

I would be surprised if they didn't run into the crowd, just to play victim.

Just about on par with these wackadoos.

They should not have. De-liberalizing a NYT article is not a THING. It was a real article. I am surprised you didn't say 'fake news' or that you have 'alternative facts'.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
They`ll have their day in court, if there isn`t enough evidence to convict them they`ll go free.

They may not even have to go to court if the charges are dropped.

In big riots like the one in D.C. the police often scoop up everyone in the area and let the states attorney decide who to prosecute and who to release.

I`m sure they aren`t the first journalist to ever be arrested at a riot.

They shouldn't BE IN A COURT.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Will? They can't be responsible for recognizing people standing with cameras? Some with sound crews? Please.

You know 100% for sure these people were not involved ?

No way you can know that.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

If I tell you, that, for example, tomorrow it will rain heavily when you walk out of your door, whatever time it is you normally leave and you should take an umbrella.

Relda the mystic.

You fail to take the umbrella and you become completely soaked, I may say, "I told you to take an umbrella." It is not a dig. It is a fact.

In fact, you would bring it up in every conversation for the next decade and continually try to belittle me.

Is there anything that you would not blame on Trump. He only just got in!

P

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

At least 26 journalists have been arrested since Sep. 24,

www.dailydot.com...

that was at occupy wall street in 2011, that was under obamas watch.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

You know 100% for sure these people were not involved ?

No way you can know that.

I do, I have done the research. Oddly, you suspect journalists to be part of the few people who attempted to attack a Starbucks with their bare hands. It's ludicrous. It's outrageously unbelievable.

link   
The presence of the press with their cameras recording violence sometimes makes the violence worse. Some people love the publicity when they are doing these kinds of things. It is funny how the press can make some things much worse sometimes just by being there. Others are afraid of being identified by the camera though, and the presence of the cameras actually keeps them more civil. I have seen the press instigate riots sometimes, one time I heard the camera guy say, are you going to let them get away with that and a guy threw something at a cop. That was in a different event than this though, I do not know if it is the case here.

All people who were around there were probably arrested, and from what I read almost all of the ones charged with federal rioting were let go on personal reconnaissance bond and have to appear in court. Everyone involved, I do not know what the involvement of these reporters was, for all we know this whole thing could have been staged and the reporters may have been part of it. Those kind of things do happen.

All charged will be going to court in the beginning of February, we will see what happens when it happens.

I hope they throw the book at those who caused all the damage.

link   

Unless you were there rioting too, you have no idea what their participation level was or was not.

You're projecting.

Now if you weren't there and can mind read, how many raisins am I holding in my left hand?
edit on 27-1-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Honestly, I think the cameras focused on crowds of protesters is a type of riot arousing tool. People that are angry have an opportunity to vent frustration by becoming violent, and the cameras incite it.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

At least 26 journalists have been arrested since Sep. 24,

www.dailydot.com...

that was at occupy wall street in 2011, that was under obamas watch.

I know. I was upset then. But not so much. They were arrested for simple disorderly conduct. They were given a ticket that they could fight and were almost immediately released. Many were given the ticket at mobile vans in the area.

This being taken to jail under Felony Rioting is DIFFERENT.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join