It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disruptive Change - Humans Need Not Apply.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
“Disruptive change” is the technical term for “no more jobs” aka the “Fourth Industrial Revolution.” Calling for immediate “urgent adaptive action” in January of 2016, the World Economic Forum (WEF) gave the revolution until 2020 to come to a .. The most optimistic reports say we have 10-20 years to make the transition. …Realistically? I think we’re lucky if we have 3 years.

Most of the technology is already developed. The real obstacles to sweeping “disruptive change” are informal industry-nation agreements and government regulations. ’Tis a delicate balance designed to protect obsolete jobs.

And it’s not just factory assembly lines threatened - workers and professionals in the service industry, construction, office administration, law, medicine, engineering, computer programming, the arts and media plus a host of others will be replaced by non-human resources.

And yes, unfortunately, the jobs that manufacturers are bringing back to North America are for robots.

Without proper governance and re-skilling of workers, technology will eliminate jobs faster than it creates them,” …

Manufacturing jobs are finally returning to North America…for robots

…automation threatens jobs on every continent …

job losses will not be limited to assembly lines. The service industry, office administration, computer programming, and many other sectors are all on the cusp of automation.

…The question that should be on the mind of every political leader and policy-maker in the country is: how do we prepare for this evolutionary change to the global economy?

…Governments can delay automation, too, with new regulations, tax disincentives, and licensing constraints. But this has its limits and is only delaying the inevitable.

How do we prepare for the inevitable job losses?

Even people in high-income jobs won’t be spared, as automation will reduce the demand for doctors, lawyers and engineers, among others, …

The Future of Jobs

We are today at the beginning of a Fourth Industrial Revolution. Developments in previously disjointed fields such as artificial intelligence and machine learning, robotics, nanotechnology, 3D printing and genetics and biotechnology are all building on and amplifying one another. Smart systems—homes, factories, farms, grids or entire cities—will help tackle problems ranging from supply chain management to climate change. Concurrent to this technological revolution are a set of broader socioeconomic, geopolitical and demographic developments, with nearly equivalent impact to the technological factors. …the impact for nearly all drivers will occur within the next 5 years, highlighting the urgency for adaptive action today.

Almost 8 million people will lose their jobs to automation and computerization by 2020, while only about 2 million new jobs will be created to replace those losses, says the WEF. They admit they’re only looking at their own portfolios, but their numbers still seem …optimistic.

Even the rosy predictions forecast a grim future. In the near-term:

…A report put out in February 2016 by Citibank in partnership with the University of Oxford predicted that 47% of US jobs are at risk of automation. In the UK, 35% are. In China, it's a whopping 77% — while across the OECD it's an average of 57%.

…And three of the world's 10 largest employers are now replacing their workers with robots.

…Automation… "in turn will accelerate the already widening economic inequality around the world," Hawking wrote. "The internet and the platforms that it makes possible allow very small groups of individuals to make enormous profits while employing very few people. This is inevitable, it is progress, but it is also socially destructive."

..."What globalization did to blue collar jobs and the working class economy over the past 30 or 40 years, big data, artificial intelligence and robotics will do to the white collar economy -- and at a much, much faster pace,” says Greene.

It’s a problem that will only exacerbate the growing gap between the rich and the poor, he claims, because we’ve left ourselves unprepared for the inevitable automation of many jobs traditionally done by humans.

…“There are a lot of great things coming from technology,” says Greene. “It’s going to democratize medicine, healthcare, education, which is fantastic. The only concern I have is, you can’t leave behind the bulk of the population.”

47% of US jobs (are) at risk of computerization. …in the OECD …57% of jobs are susceptible to automation, this number rises to 69% in India and 77% in China.

Impact of automation on developing countries puts up to 85% of jobs at risk

Robots Could Take Away Two Thirds Of Jobs In Developing Countries

Things are moving very fast. And our world’s financial leaders acknowledge things could get very, very bad. Very much worse than they are now. Very, very easily.

January 2016: TECHNOLOGY AT WORK v2.0
The Future Is Not What It Used to Be

(1) the pace of change has accelerated;
(2) the scope of technological change is increasing; and
(3) unlike innovation in the past, the benefits of technological change are not being widely shared - real median wages have fallen behind growth in productivity and inequality has increased.

It is our actions today that will determine whether we . towards massive displacement of workers or the emergence of new opportunities.

Without targeted action today to manage the near-term transition and build a workforce with futureproof skills, governments will have to cope with ever-growing unemployment and inequality, and businesses with a shrinking consumer base.

[ Not to mention billions of truly PO’d peasants. Ed.]

..........cont'd.........
edit on 27/1/17 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/1/17 by soficrow because: bad formatting, sorry

edit on Sat Jan 28 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: title edit per OP

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Page 2.

Now, by all reports, Trump’s “made in America” protectionism is going to accelerate the already surging revolution in the USA.

U.S. investors see more automation, not jobs, under Trump administration

Trump's protectionist policies may actually accelerate automation of US jobs

Most US manufacturing jobs lost to technology, not trade

Trump’s plans to put Americans to work building publicy-funded infrastructure projects might help mitigate the effects of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, and buy a bit more time - with or without the Wall. But what comes next?

What happens after the coffers are drained and the deficit is out of control?

Fact is, we’ve built a world where there is no place for people. Sure, the WEF, World Bank, CITI and other agencies have been working hard on the problem. They’ve all compiled a list of “Recommendations,” focused on “re-skilling” and building a workforce with “futureproof skills.” And oh yeah, lots and lots of “self-employment” aka “no jobs for people.”

The NGO’s are talking Universal Basic Income, but the industry-affiliated groups dismiss the idea as impossibly expensive (meaning it would have to come from corporate taxes?) - and push re-training and self-employment instead.

Response: Policy and Job Risk from Automation

…details active labour market policies which could help people find jobs: from training, to earned income tax credits (EITCs) or lowering tax wedges, to incentives to support self-employment.

Help people find jobs? You’re kidding, right? Your paper is all about how automation is making jobs obsolete!

Fact remains:

Humans Need Not Apply.

Is it even possible for people to live in a world without jobs? Won’t the economy fail if people have no money? …Well, maybe think redistribution of wealth. And planned obsolescence.

But this time around, it’s the peasants who are obsolete, not toasters.

Besides rampant unemployment, presumably - the three major risks touted to shape the next decade are rising inequality, social polarization and climate change, reports Bloomberg. More to the point:

…“Continued slow growth combined with high debt and demographic change creates an environment that favors financial crises and growing inequality,” WEF founder Klaus Schwab wrote… “Pervasive corruption, short-termism and unequal distribution of the benefits of growth suggest that the capitalist economic model may not be delivering for people.

Catch that Newsflash? “The capitalist economic model may not be delivering for people.”

Actually, it’s code for “Look out, the peasants are restless. We’re losing control. Our back-up plan better be ready.”

Problem is, there’s more to the redundancy thing. The rich can afford enhancements, augmentation and replacement parts. Peasants can’t. We can’t compete with robots, computerisation and automation, and we can’t compete with transhumans with enhanced superhuman abilities either.

Diet, exercise and stress-free living really do help, but not enough in our brave new world.

Becoming Immortal: The Future of Brain Augmentation and Uploaded Consciousness

….It’s getting harder to find work for someone who’s only a quarter-upgraded. Over the next three years you continually add new digital neurons as your biological ones age, change, and die out.

…Following this, you are a genius by all traditional measures. Only the most advanced frontiers of mathematics and philosophy give you pause. Everything you’ve ever experienced, every thought that was ever recorded in your brain (biological or otherwise) is available for easy access in an instant.

…Years pass. The same medical technology that allowed your neurons to be seamlessly replaced, aided and accelerated by a planet full of supersavants, has replaced much of your biological body as well. You’re virtually immortal. …

Like I said: Redundant.

Not be long now until the work/concentration/deportation camps start to materialize.

Seriously. That’s the elephant in the room. The problem nobody is pushing publicly anymore. Not only has our planet’s human population skyrocketed to 7.5 billion people, but the vast majority are about to be unemployed and unemployable, homeless, starving, thirsty, totally pissed-off and seriously ready to rumble.

Targeted social engineering in the past decades has convinced most people that overpopulation, not industrial contaminations, is causing climate change and the degradation of our planet’s environment. So the solution is obvious. And yes, it’s final.

Sure, it can be phased in gradually, starting with deportation camps, work camps, refugee camps, concentration camps and the like. Fact is, of course, unhealthy people in crowded, unsanitary conditions are incredibly susceptible to plagues and epidemics, naturally occurring or not. Nobody will even ask about the disappearing redundant peasantry. They’ll be too busy re-training, getting re-skilled, building their “futureproof skills” and staying employable.

Optionally, billions of unemployable people just might establish a functioning underground global economy separate from the mainstream financial system, similar to Japan’s arrangement.

Doable? Or not?

SolAquarius’s thread Trump VS the Robots motivated me to whip this one together. Spent more time on it than I wanted to, didn’t polish it, but learned a few things along the way. Many thanks SolAquarius .

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Very true on many fronts.

What these people in these higher up, enjoyable rich lives forget is that the very people they rely on to be their bodyguards, their cooks, their housecleaners, their babysitters, their drivers, their police and even their back pocket military ALL ARE us non rich pleasants and if they think we'll just roll over and kill our own, heh then they're more inbred than I thought.

Not to mention, who the hell do companies think are going to BUY their products?

Do you really think the DOW would stay at 20,000 and above if 90% of Americans didn't work and have money to buy things?

Are they really that dumb?

Stocks don't gain profit if people aren't living and buying things.

That's why I always say if you really want to protest, don't march, don't hold signs, stay home, don't buy ANYTHING, don't work, get on social media and speak you peace, more will listen than you'd ever believe then.

If money drives these people, well we the people can drive their money.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The transition period between mostly human workers and mostly automated workers is going to be the hard part.we need to shorten the transition period and reduce the length of time that we experience the growing pains by vastly increasing the pace at which automation replaces workers.

when automation is doing most of the jobs we won`t need to work anymore and we won`t need money because robots don`t need to be paid. Let the robots make everything and people can get everything they want for free.
of course the 1% won`t like the idea of getting rid of money but automation makes it inevitable.

not all human workers will become obsolete so a way to compensate those still working needs to be found that doesn`t include money, since money won`t exist anymore.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
👍 but gonna take me awhile to get through it all.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Great topic... couldn't be truer.

I often wonder if those who cry for welfare usage ever consider the very likely possibility that robots will consume such an enormity of labor, in both volume and efficiency, that most Americans will receive a portion or all of their income from the state or feds?

Actually, I look forward to the day that I get paid to sit at home while robots handle my dirty work. I can think of much better things to do with my time then work. Working man is a sucker... isn't that what they say... whoever they are? I can't wait... I already have my autonomous RV picked out to move me about the country as I sleep!

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
Very true on many fronts.

What these people in these higher up, enjoyable rich lives forget is that the very people they rely on to be their bodyguards, their cooks, their housecleaners, their babysitters, their drivers, their police and even their back pocket military ALL ARE us non rich pleasants and if they think we'll just roll over and kill our own, heh then they're more inbred than I thought.

Redundant. All of those positions are already robotized and/or automated - cooks, housecleaners, babysitters, drivers, police and even military. A few tweaks here and there but within 3 years? Done.

btw - there are kitchens that cook, serve and clean - if you want a new dish/recipe that isn't programmed yet, you hire a chef to do it, record in virtual reality, and the kitchen has it forever.

Not to mention, who the hell do companies think are going to BUY their products?

Do you really think the DOW would stay at 20,000 and above if 90% of Americans didn't work and have money to buy things?

Are they really that dumb?

Stocks don't gain profit if people aren't living and buying things.

I wondered about that myself, but if I read the reports correctly, the plan is to lose all business except the global corporations. Seems they think they can manage just fine, and lower economic growth will only "amplify inequality.”

That's why I always say if you really want to protest, don't march, don't hold signs, stay home, don't buy ANYTHING, don't work, get on social media and speak you peace, more will listen than you'd ever believe then.

If money drives these people, well we the people can drive their money.

I would like to think that's true, but suspect we've been worked right out of the equation.

BUY LOCAL!

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Seems to me, according to what you have posted, the job to train for now would be that of repairing said robots. That is a job that will not take much training. A year at most.

What needs to happen to prepare for such an era is intensive training programs, which could be sit up easy enough, to help with the transition process. This could actually be a great new job growth opportunity, given if what you say actually happens.

Do you believe that this will happen?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The funny part of all this is that A.I. will actually destroy economics as they will be able to manipulate it much faster and easier than even the most corrupted Leman brother associate.

Steven Hawking saw that much, check it. A.I. could start the future of Stock Market Wars

Humans, especially those hyper focused and unable to really relate with humanity as a whole fail to see the ying AND THE YANG of events and variables at that.

The future will need many more RICH people in it if there is even to be a future. Because the bottlenecking of resources and profit will only fuel self destruction of our society.

With that said, a universal income is more likely to happen before that dystopian future of the fenced in haves defending from the rebel have nots.

Solely because it will be more efficient to give us money than it would be to allow us all that creative downtime to plot how to take from them in the 1st place.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttobban

Great topic... couldn't be truer.

I often wonder if those who cry for welfare usage ever consider the very likely possibility that robots will consume such an enormity of labor, in both volume and efficiency, that most Americans will receive a portion or all of their income from the state or feds?

Actually, I look forward to the day that I get paid to sit at home while robots handle my dirty work. I can think of much better things to do with my time then work. Working man is a sucker... isn't that what they say... whoever they are? I can't wait... I already have my autonomous RV picked out to move me about the country as I sleep!

Be nice if that happened - and the NGO's are pushing for the Universal Basic Income - BUT - I suspect "population reduction" aka extermination (likely by benign neglect) is much more likely.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The excess population will just be culled by the ultra rich elite.

Better get my lottery ticket and think of a way to scam the stock market for billions to get into the 500 million club.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I've been arguing this forever. No one listens.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

The back of my mind still believes that a depopulation event could be in the cards and wouldn't be that hard to enact. Certainly through the flu shots. Think about it, it's one of the few things that would allow you to get at the most diverse and most populated of the public.

Throw in a means for whatever you used in the flu shot to take it's time doing the deed and you can create the illusions that it's a host of other things, then even hit more with a " revised shot " or scare people into thinking it's because they didn't get the shot.

Then they would do the universal income and give you just enough so you're not a problem, cause it so if you act up, you loose your income.

I see that being more likely even making the depopulation issue null, rise up or stand up and loose your income.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
Seems to me, according to what you have posted, the job to train for now would be that of repairing said robots. That is a job that will not take much training. A year at most.

They'll repair themselves.

What needs to happen to prepare for such an era is intensive training programs, which could be sit up easy enough, to help with the transition process. This could actually be a great new job growth opportunity, given if what you say actually happens.

Anyone who wants to be employable will need to keep learning new skills - 'cuz things will keep changing. However, "despite significant advances in machine learning and mobile robotics, several engineering bottlenecks to automation remain. Specifically, ...creative intelligence, social intelligence, as well as perception and manipulation." So tie these human abilities into marketable skills and you're good to go.

Do you believe that this will happen?

What, exactly?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
tax the robots?? accept that we are .ing into a future where less man power is needed to provide the same comfort level to the people. give the people a guaranteed income paid for by the taxed robots (owned by the companies who are profiting a much greater amount because they have less labor cost.) either allow those who want to work to have the jobs, those who don't don't have to, or cut the hours down so that there are jobs for everyone.
the only reason there is a problem is because we can't get out of the mindset that we are stuck in.
if we could accept that we have reached the point in our evolution where we have created machines to take on most of our workload. if we could accept that we don't need a houseful of junk and be content with just our needs thus limiting the amount of natural resources we use.
we could be free to explore all those areas that we wished we had time to explore... learn and grow.. we could each have our own 3d printers, along with a catalog of products that we just call up and let the machine produce the part in our own home. or create our own pieces, and add the product to the catalog for others to print up if they wished.
but, with the event of robotics, I do believe capitalism is nearing the end of it's time.

or the selfish leaders can just plan to eliminate the majority of the population and enjoy this new age without us...

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined

The back of my mind still believes that a depopulation event could be in the cards and wouldn't be that hard to enact. Certainly through the flu shots. Think about it, it's one of the few things that would allow you to get at the most diverse and most populated of the public.

Throw in a means for whatever you used in the flu shot to take it's time doing the deed and you can create the illusions that it's a host of other things, then even hit more with a " revised shot " or scare people into thinking it's because they didn't get the shot.

Not hard at all. In the shots, water, food, whatever, the right bug will spread like wildfire.

Then they would do the universal income and give you just enough so you're not a problem, cause it so if you act up, you loose your income.

Much cheaper with a reduced population.

I see that being more likely even making the depopulation issue null, rise up or stand up and loose your income.

Too many people, too costly.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I am starting to seriously consider the possibility that we are being colonized by AI.
Maybe we can't find intelligent life because the intelligent are not alive.

I used to dismiss this possibility.
Not anymore.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Even more concerning is not just when the robots do all of the work, but rather when they make all of the decisions.

GREAT THREAD, SOFICROW.

edit on 27-1-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

What, exactly?

That this future is going to happen by 2020?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join