It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legendary Actor John Hurt Dead At Age 77

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It's being reported that John Hurt has died. He was 77 years old. He'd been fighting pancreatic cancer for some time, his diagnosis having been announced in June of 2015.

IMDB lists 204 acting credits in a career that spanned 54 years.

Surprisingly he was only twice nominated for Academy Awards despite a number of acclaimed and memorable roles including Winston Smith in 1984 (1984) and John Merrick in David Lynch's The Elephant Man (1980). The year he was nominated for his potrayal of John Merrick, Robert De Niro won for the role of Italian American boxer Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull.

Wikipedia:

Sir John Vincent Hurt, CBE (22 January 1940 – 27 January 2017)[1][2] was an English actor and voice actor whose career spanned six decades. He initially came to prominence for his supporting role as Richard Rich in the film A Man for All Seasons (1966). After this, he played leading roles as Quentin Crisp in the film The Naked Civil Servant (1975), John Merrick in David Lynch's biopic The Elephant Man (1980), Winston Smith in the dystopian drama Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984), Mr. Braddock in the Stephen Frears drama The Hit (1984), and Stephen Ward in the drama depicting the Profumo affair, Scandal (1989). He is also known for his television roles such as Caligula in I, Claudius (1976), and the War Doctor in Doctor Who.[3][4]

Hurt's other films include the prison drama Midnight Express (1978), the science-fiction horror film Alien (1979), the adventure film Rob Roy (1995), the political thriller V for Vendetta (2006), the sci-fi adventure film Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008), the Harry Potter film series (2001–11), the Hellboy films (2004 and 2008), and the Cold War espionage film Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011). His character's final scene in Alien has been named by a number of publications as one of the most memorable in cinematic history.[5]

Recognized for his distinctive rich voice,[6] he also enjoyed a successful voice acting career in films such as Watership Down (1978), the animated The Lord of the Rings (1978), The Black Cauldron (1985) and Dogville (2003), as well as the BBC television series Merlin.

Among other honours, he received two Academy Award nominations, a Golden Globe Award, and four BAFTA Awards, with the fourth being a Lifetime Achievement recognition for his outstanding contribution to British cinema.[7] He was knighted in 2015 for his services to drama.

US Magazine - John Hurt, ‘Elephant Man’ Actor, Dead at 77
TMZ - John Hurt Reportedly Dead at 77

RIP
edit on 2017-1-27 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
It's being reported that John Hurt has died of pancreatic cancer. Surprisingly he was only twice nominated for Academy Awards despite a number of acclaimed and memorable roles, not least of which Winston Smith in 1984 and John Merrick in David Lynch's The Elephant Man. IMDB lists 204 acting credits in a career that spanned 54 years.

TMZ - John Hurt Reportedly Dead at 77

RIP

Damn. He was one of the greats.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Brilliant guy. He will be missed.

Sobering how many of our Icons are leaving us.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Bugger.......

Sad Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Damn.

I just had the Lord of the Rings series playing this weekend.

Did you know he's the all time dyin'est actor?

Which is quite some feats! I imagine him upon hearing "terminal" contemplating calling around trying to find a movie that he could literally die on screen in, rather than some hospice horror show. I say this with all respect!

It got to a point where my children wouldn’t ask me if I died [in a film], but rather, "how do you die?" -John Hurt

Here's a rare dystopian mini-series he was great in:

The Prisoner (2009)

edit on 27-1-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Missmissie173

Sobering how many of our Icons are leaving us.

Cheer up. There are just too many is all, and this with Dr. Hurt I doubt his long life sucked.

And to that.
edit on 27-1-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
V For Vendetta (2005)!

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Rest in Peace, Sir. Thank you for posting.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173
They have been dropping like flies. How many last year alone? Something like 164?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Another true legend lost.

Glad Wikipedia included Dr. Who. That was some serious gravitas.

He made it look easy which is the sign of a true master.

Thank you for the contributions to our collective consciousness Sir Hurt.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

This is so odd, I was just thinking about him a few days ago wondering when he'd pass away.

He was a fabulous Actor.

RIP

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Did you know he's the all time dyin'est actor?

Did not realize that! According to The Chive, these are the top 14:

John Hurt – 40
Bela Lugosi – 36
Vincent Price – 33
Sean Bean – 25
Mickey Rourke – 19
Gary Busey – 19
Robert De Niro – 17
Gary Oldman – 12
Johnny Depp – 12
Danny Trejo – 11
Stellan Skarsgård – 11
Bruce Willis – 11
Tim Curry – 10
Leonardo DiCaprio – 9

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Yeah, see I knew Trejo belonged on the list, but whatever page I grabbed that graphic from they didn't mention him that I could find.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Bugger.......

Sad Rainbows
Jane

I love that term. I'll remember that one... fitting.

So far 2017 has started off just where 2016 left.

I fear the future generations who will never know the greatest artists, actors, and people. We're headed into Cyrus/Spears/Gaga/Bieber land... and that world is too unfathomable to bring children into, in my opinion...

edit on 28-1-2017 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join