It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question For Those Opposed To Trump's Wall

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
Before you tell me that it can't be done, why can it be done in places like Qatar and the UAE?

Because they execute people who deal drugs in the UAE.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Are you saying capital punishment is effective???

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

In fact, a lot of other Asian countries have zero-tolerance drug policies too. Singapore is a glaring example, with possession of specific amounts leading to mandatory capital punishment.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Are you saying capital punishment is effective???

No, otherwise they would not still be executing people for dealing drugs, it would have completely stopped.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant
When was the last time someone was put to death in the UAE for selling drugs or possession? The last execution was for murder and it seems they only average

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

When was the last execution for dealing drugs in the UAE?

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Why are you asking me? I didn't say I agree with capital punishment or the "War on Drugs" in general. I'm just pointing out that a lot of countries are far harsher when it comes to drugs than we are. The Philippines are waging a new drug war that's killed thousands of suspected drug addicts & dealers just in the 6 months since their new president was elected. But drugs are pretty much a way of life in the US, which is why the drug war doesn't work here.
edit on 29-1-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

When was the last execution for dealing drugs in the UAE?

Not sure, but Saudi Arabia offed a few last year. Iran hung a s*** ton over the past few years as well.

Source

edit on 29-1-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I'm not sure what the 2015 execution was for but there was only 1 in 2015 and then the 1 in 2016 in the UAE.
Opiate usage in the UAE is 0.02% (compared to 0.57% in the USA) and Cannabis usage is 5.4% (compared to 13.5% in the USA).

So it would seem to be working, would it not? Even 1 execution per year seems like an OK trade off to keep people from becoming addicted, overdosing, and committing crimes against their fellow citizens.
edit on 29-1-2017 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DomTullipso

Dom Tullipso is like the new Leeroy Jenkins!

Epic video!

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Even 1 execution per year seems like an OK trade off to keep people from becoming addicted, overdosing, and committing crimes against their fellow citizens.

I would disagree. Executing people for taking drugs is rather primitive in my opinion.

Iran and Saudi Arabia execute much more than 1 person a year and they still have not eradicated drug usage which would be the point of such a harsh punishment.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Cornczech

You've obviously never lived by the southern border. You can WATCH them walk across. My daughter, husband and I went camping in Southern AZ in the Organ Pipe National Park.....and people leave water in jugs for the people who cross into the US from Mexico via the desert.

So?

Just because they walk across and leave each other water they are horrible people?

Have you ever asked ANY ONE of them? ANY of them??? What they went through to get where they are, and why they are leaving their homes?

EVER? Have YOU personally EVER talked to one of them?

Or, do you just take the water away so they'll die?

edit on 1/29/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Cornczech

I am ALL for the wall....all for deporting every single immigrant that is in this country illegally . I would gladly pay a tax for it and would happily support taxing the hell out of goods made in Mexico

Yeah? Because if your wish comes true, you'll have to pay a helluva lot more for your meals, your hotel rooms, your clothes and and lawn care, and child care, and construction costs, and produce, and especially avocados and limes and tortillas and Mexican beer and real salsa and Walmart stuff and groceries in general (unless you go to them directly and skirt around the capitalist chains). And home improvement and health care. And streets. And nice clean parks and fancy-ass 'plantings' in front of Chase Bank.

Shiny high-rise windows and tended boulevard medians all pretty with flowers and trees. Paved driveways and sound roofs, dependable bridges and HVAC systems, finished laundry and dry cleaning, and capable car maintenance. And car wax application.

When was the last time you spoke to a Mexican and learned about why the hell they left their home country to brave this place?

edit on 1/29/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
As for Reagan, yeah he and Bush seemed polite and civil on the issue of Mexico, amnesty, the path to citizenship, and having any walls on the border. But that's only because the Cold War was still ongoing and they recognized that it was better to have a strong Mexican ally on our southern border than a belligerent & communist Mexican enemy there. Remember the context, particularly with the memory of the Cuban missile crisis still fresh in people's minds. There was no way even a semi-smart candidate would've allowed a much larger country on our continent to have the capacity to house Soviet missiles or bases.

Eloquently said! I don't think Trump knows what he's doing. The second that China decides they have had enough of Trump mouthing off all they have to do is dump an aircraft carrier full of money on Mexico and ask for permission to set up a military base. Then what? Is the U.S. of A. going to declare war on our trade partner all because the sitting President wasn't smart enough to use normal diplomatic channels to renegotiate NAFTA and instead for some reason thought it would somehow aid negotiations to verbally spite an entire country's people? Trump is miles out of his depth.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Mishmashum

I could easily see Mexico and China getting closer over this. Mexico would be desperate for new markets to sell its goods, while China is always looking for new markets and sources of resources. So I could see Mexico selling China the produce & other natural resources it normally sells to us in exchange for military and technology purchases from China. China already does similar deals in many African countries, though it usually doesn't include the military element (to my knowledge).

But with the US seemingly pulling out of our global military and economic alliances & treaties (like NAFTA, NATO, and the UN), I can see that part changing. Earlier this month at the 2017 World Economic Forum, China's President already basically announced that China was ready to become the global defender of free trade and globalization (HER E), whatever that means.

edit on 29-1-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I have not heard one reasonable answer yet, so I'm not optimistic you will be up to the challenge.

Never will either.

From reading the responses thus far.

Bunch of little engines that can't or really just don't want to.

Funny though for the anti wallers. That think NOTHING is ever going to touch them.

Until it does.

You know what, that post is the epitome of fear. I would rather die free than live in fear, as you are advocating. If something happens to me, it happens. I fought for a lot of different values when I was a Marine. I fought for freedoms, integrity and doing the right thing. I didn't fight to cower behind a wall, and sell out my country to a billionaire who can divvy up the spoils with his millionaire friends...all under the guise of "Nationalism."

When the US becomes isolated, who are you going to complain to that almost every single consumable item you buy on a weekly/monthly basis costs about 30%-50% more? Who are you going to complain to when your "big mac" or "whopper" doubles in price? When your electricity cost goes up? When your air quality goes down?

Give it up people, this is a world economy. If we can't understand that, then we deserve our wall.

posted on Jan, 29 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

From a friend who is also a border agent replying in a Facebook thread

"Josiah. Thanks for the right wing talking points but I'm sorry my friend, you are woefully incorrect. I've been a Border Patrol agent for over 20 years and walls, fences, pedestrian barrier, vehicle barrier, burms, canals, etc do NONE of the things these people have told you they do. Border security, background vettings, control of who comes in and who doesn't is accomplished solely by comprehensive immigration policy reform, not by million-dollar-a-mile infrastructure. The reason why airports work is not because of fences, my friend, it's because of policy. Come down to the border sometime - I'll show you fences and walls with hundreds of holes, makeshift ladders, and dozens of tunnels that are actively being used by God knows who to enter illegally - and these are in place where we have already spent millions of dollars on the latest and most reputable materials that are designed to deny entry. Also, if you truly want to be well-versed on border security, familiarize yourself with the concepts of persistent impedance, border calculus, and right of entry as it has to do with eminent domain and privately owned land. All of these are integral to constructing ANYTHING on the border, much less a wall. Trumps past experience with construction will only serve him to a point when it comes to the border. He's never built anything even remotely near a US border, so he's got a steep learning curve. I will agree with you that the wall is 'representative ' (I.e. Symbolic) of the security all of us seek. But surely you didn't vote for a guy that was promising you 'symbolism' at a premium price, did you? You voted for a guy that's gonna get # done, right? Get educated on what really provides security for our nation from the professionals, not the hairdo's."

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm definitely not pro-Trump but the man has a solid point.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Anyone who wants the wall, is not thinking logically at all. Do you seriously think a wall will stop illegals from coming into the county? Will it stop drugs coming in too? If you think it will, then you're not very smart.

They could come from underground (the exact same way that Mexican cartel guy escaped our prison last year)

They can fly in.

They can sail in from California or Florida.

Seriously, a wall isn't going to do #.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DomTullipso
Serious question.

I have not heard one reasonable answer yet, so I'm not optimistic you will be up to the challenge.

Why don't you want to have a wall between the U.S. and Mexico?

a) Is it because you want drug dealers and illegals to freely cross the border with little impediment?

b) Or is it because you're against drug dealers and illegals crossing the border, but you think there are better ways to stop them?

And if you answered b) what other way do you suggest stopping the drug dealers and illegals from entering the U.S.?

Good Luck!!
You knew before you even asked the question...There would be no reasonable answer and they didn't disappoint you...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join